Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I imagine it's just a case of the fuel pump or something along those lines, but it's a constant high pitched noise...

Anyone else noted this and know what it is?

I figure I'll leave it as it could act as a deer whistle.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
are you a frist gen? does it change with rpms? do you have electrical eqiupment installed? i have the same problem and a believe its the alternator

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
are you a frist gen? does it change with rpms? do you have electrical eqiupment installed? i have the same problem and a believe its the alternator
Nope.

2010, bought it Jan 2, 2010. 14 on the odo after my 8.5 mile test drive.

:)

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Take it in.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
odd it could be timing chain tensioner, but its really early mileage to start that

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wrong kind of whine, timing chain tensioner would be more of a growl similar to that of a supercharger. This is in the 8Khz+ range.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Does it do it when cold or warmed up? Could be a PCV whistle if it happens during very light throttle.

·
Registered
83 Posts
If its coming from behind the cab, it's the fuel pump. I know Chevy's do that, never heard of the Nissans doing it though.

·
Rogue Admin
2007 LE 4x4 Crew Cab Long Box
13,591 Posts
I imagine it's just a case of the fuel pump or something along those lines, but it's a constant high pitched noise...

Anyone else noted this and know what it is?
stop taking the wife in the truck. /thread :laugh:

·
Super Moderator
10,778 Posts
stop taking the wife in the truck. /thread :laugh:
See, the obvious answer was right in front of us and we all missed it!
You're very observant. :laugh:

Clint

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nope, it's a V6, and it's more from the front passenger side, and it does it without the wife anywhere near the truck ;)

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think I figured it out today...had the sliding rear window open, but not my side windows...

I could hear it, and it changed with speed....has me thinking Rear Differential.

<2400miles on the odometer right now, and I'll probably get in w/ the dealer tomorrow and take the guy for a spin and see what he says. The only other thing I can think of is it could be u-joints (not very likely, since this sounds like gears meshing at high speed), or the transfer case, which I'm not used to a transfer case. (1st 4wd). Truck is an automatic, and I've taken in and out of gear, so that rules out at least the front half of the transmission forward.

That said, I have another high pitch whine that comes from the front of the truck, I'll have them look at that while I'm at it.

·
Super Moderator
10,778 Posts
Is the whine at a certain speed? A light foot on the gas and leaves when you let off the pedal and comes back as soon as you touch the gas? If so, it is the rear. I had that on a 2002 Frontier.

Clint

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Is the whine at a certain speed? A light foot on the gas and leaves when you let off the pedal and comes back as soon as you touch the gas? If so, it is the rear. I had that on a 2002 Frontier.

Clint
It changes in pitch with speed. I hear it mostly at speeds above 55, and it changes up in pitch as you go faster.

It sounds like gear whine, but it's definately not from the engine. It's there with the transmission in neutral while going down the highway.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I have a whine in my '08 as well with 15k. My son actually asked me about it last nite. I figured it was normal. Sounds like the tranny or rear to me.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Weird. Mine has a whine coming from the engine. Its very faint but its there. If it wasnt for all the timing chain talk I wouldnt have even worried about it. I had the service mgr ride with me and he specifically said that "I dont hear anything abnormal". However he would not say that the sound was normal either, just felt it was the belts.

Oh well, trucks coming up on a year old in May so the newness is wearing off. I have to accept the fact that its a mechanical device and will make various noises.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Wrong kind of whine, timing chain tensioner would be more of a growl similar to that of a supercharger. This is in the 8Khz+ range.
I am hearing a high pitch sound around 8.9Khz. Mine seems to be coming from behind the dash/engine compartment. It comes and goes. But it really gets my ears to ringing and I can't get any relief - even hours after being out of the truck. If I crank up the stereo it just masks it.

I guess I am going to have to disassemble the glove box/dash to better locate the source of the sound. If I can find it, I will cover the item with dynamat and that will be the end of that tune! :laugh:

·
Super Moderator
10,778 Posts
Last time I took a dash apart the noise ended up being under the hood and I had a ton of crap to reassemble.

Clint

·
Registered
424 Posts
Last time I took a dash apart the noise ended up being under the hood and I had a ton of crap to reassemble.

Clint
you got any suggestions?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts