Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a few searches, but i'm not finding much as far as high mileage 2nd gens go... Where are all the trucks with 150,000-300,000 miles?

I ask because i'm at 77k and i'm starting to have a bunch of issues. I come from a long line of BMWs where everything was pretty rock solid until at LEAST 100,000 miles, so i'm getting nervous.

·
Registered
650 Posts
That's interesting because there'll never be a BMW product in my driveway ever again. Wife had two MINI cars, both aquired brand new, both with problems that required shop visits within the first year. And dealerships aren't exactly easy to find for those. And everything for them is super expensive. She hit a deer once and needed a new headlight, hood, and fender. Charge for that was $5,400(!). An American brand would have been WAY cheaper.

Son in law is currently driving a BMW 318i that only has 65,000 miles on it and it's the biggest piece of garbage I've ever seen. Interior is literally falling apart, some dash controls have stopped working, sometimes the headlights just go off randomly at night, exterior trim falls off, so far it's only stranded him once but installing that new starter was an all day job because of the engine design. Just utter European garbage.

Compared to BMW, these Nissans are made of gold.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
That's interesting because there'll never be a BMW product in my driveway ever again. Wife had two MINI cars, both aquired brand new, both with problems that required shop visits within the first year. And dealerships aren't exactly easy to find for those. And everything for them is super expensive. She hit a deer once and needed a new headlight, hood, and fender. Charge for that was $5,400(!). An American brand would have been WAY cheaper.

Son in law is currently driving a BMW 318i that only has 65,000 miles on it and it's the biggest piece of garbage I've ever seen. Interior is literally falling apart, some dash controls have stopped working, sometimes the headlights just go off randomly at night, exterior trim falls off, so far it's only stranded him once but installing that new starter was an all day job because of the engine design. Just utter European garbage.

Compared to BMW, these Nissans are made of gold.
Yeah i've heard very bad things about Minis. A couple friends had nightmarish experiences with them.

Personally, i've had two 5 series BMWs, and two 3 series. Mechanically they were all fantastic, and a dream to work on. Granted I've never had to replace anything except suspension components, wheel bearings, change oil, and a couple oxygen sensors.

So far, every part I've quoted on my Nissan has been almost twice the price of the same part on BMWs. The latest being an oxygen sensor. On my BMWs, they were $80-90. The one i replaced on my Frontier the other day was $150, and that was for the cheap one. The other issue i'm facing is ABS sensors. The Nissan sensors are $150 each. Bmw abs sensors are $40 each.

Having said all that, i do love my frontier, i just wish it would stop springing leaks and blinking lights at me. I'm hoping once i get the ABS sensor(s) fixed(hopefully not the ABS controller), and the transfer case output seal leak fixed, that this thing just runs for at least another 25,000 miles.

·
Registered
919 Posts
I have a 2011 which is my daily driver with just over 70k. No problems for me so far (knock on wood) and I don't expect anything major, either. I've been pretty diligent with maintenance. We'll see how it goes.

·
Registered
324 Posts
This is anecdotal I know, but my Frontier has almost 100k and has been the most reliable vehicle I have owned. Not saying that out of bias either. I've have had three Hondas (two Preludes and a Civic), and they have been absolutely awful. While one was probably my fault (it was modded pretty good), the other two were bad enough that I will probably never buy another Honda.

My 97 Camry was also rock solid reliable as well. Would buy another Toyota.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Bought my '08 crew cab a couple of months ago with 90400 miles on it. I've put 2000 on it now and cannot find anything mechanicaly or electrically wrong with it. Nothing.
The carfax did say the timeing chain guides were replaced at 48K and I wasted no time in replaceing the OEM radiator.

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
I'm pretty sure I remember seeing a gou with like 500k on mis truck. My friend has 400k kms on his x that he has 33s on and wheels, it still goes.

·
Registered
538 Posts
These trucks are reliable, although sometimes I tend to think that build quality is suspect. Like anything else mass produced there will be good ones and bad ones. I just replaced a couple of things, the front driver ABS sensor, the dealer wanted over 600 for that and it cost me under 200 to do it myself, they also recommended new brakes, and honestly I took their word for granted and ordered new Brembo blanks and Axxis pads, guess what, there was at least 70% pad left and the rotors could be easily turned as they were within thickness spec. I also broke my spiral cable, that was quoted around 1600 at the dealer, it cost 170 shipped for a new one and took under an hour to do in my driveway. Those are some quite expensive repairs IMHO, although the latter was due to overzealous yanking of my steering wheel. My truck is at 85K and I am planning to keep her for 4 more years or another 100K miles.

I am in my 30s now and have had 30+ cars. I generally drive a lot, averaging around 30K a year. The only cars that haven't needed more than basic maintenance out of the bunch has been a Lexus SC430 and a group of Miatas.

I just started having problems with one of my BMWs, it is an E46 touring with 134K miles on her. Admittedly I have been putting off the preventative maintenance on her (so her problems are a direct result of that) and truth be told I just did an ECS level 1 cooling system plus the belts/tenioners/pulleys/waterpump; so I went way past the 80-100K recommendation. Now she runs like a top and I am expecting at least another 100K trouble free miles (if I keep her). My other BMW is an M5, never any problems with her, but she like all my cars are driven well (meaning not babied). Out of all the BMWs I've owned I have not had any problems including an E28 with over 350K miles on the original drivetrain.

As far as Nissan products go, all of mine have been pretty stellar as well. Although the interiors tend to wear terribly, but that is because of cheap interior materials. My Hondas have all been pretty good (that includes Acura).

I am in the market for a newer daily and am considering letting the E46 touring go (it may be too hard and I might just have to add another car). But just for reference the cars I am considering are the following based on my experiences, 335i convertible, G37 convertible, Miata PRHT, S2000, or a 996 911 cabrio.

Everyones experience will be different. Everyone will have an opinion based on whatever. These are mine, based on firsthand experiences from a car enthusiast who tries to do his own work when his skill level, time, and toolbox allows.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Everyones experience will be different. Everyone will have an opinion based on whatever.
That's probably the most truthful thing on the internet. My truck is just over 111k miles with the original radiator and no bypass. I couldn't find any service records from the previous owner, but based on the all-terrain spare tire (which is comically more aggressive than the stock tires that the dealer put on it), the paint chips around the rear fenders, and the bits of 550 cord I find tied to weird places, I'm guessing the previous owner liked to play in the woods. I crawled all over this truck and nothing looks newer or older than anything else. The only thing I've replaced is the belt tensioner and fan belt.

On the other hand, I recall a thread on here where a guy had his truck for less than 25k miles and practically had to take the dealer to court over all the stuff that went wrong. There will always be lemons, but I think 90% of vehicle problems can be traced back to the driver. I know most of my problems have come because I'm hard on my vehicles. They spend all week on the highway and all weekend in the mud. But Nissan makes a quality product. My '89 Pathfinder had over 200k when the odometer died, and I put about another 100k on it before I had the engine rebuilt (which magically fixed the odometer). It's all about how they're taken care of.

I'd be willing to bet there are 200k+ Frontiers out there, but they're probably in the garages of people who take good care of them. Most dealers I've been to won't display a vehicle with over 200k, so I'll bet they end up at auction when they get traded in.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I am in my 30s now and have had 30+ cars. I generally drive a lot, averaging around 30K a year. The only cars that haven't needed more than basic maintenance out of the bunch has been a Lexus SC430 and a group of Miatas.
This guy can be so brutally honest that he will piss one off. However, so far everything I've seen him say is spot on. My daughter doesn't take care of her vehicles. I bought her a 330I that has been a money pit. I'll never recommend one to her again. Does that mean they're build quality is bad? No! It's just not the proper car for her!

The 1990 Miata I had never gave any trouble and drove the shite out of it. I wouldn't buy any other Mazda product but Miata. That new one is the cats azz! That might make me buy another.
I'm 54 and have owned 55 vehicles. I like to keep one or two a head of my age, so I'll be in the market for something soon!
Disclaimer, this doesn't include over 30 motorcycles. That's my other weakness!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just purchased a 2010 SE Crew Cab from a reputable dealer in my area with 103K miles on it. I was very skeptical with the mileage but took it for a test drive anyways. It was just as tight as a newer frontier. I couldn't believe i was driving a 5 year old 100k mile truck. It looked brand new and drove like it was new.

The previous owner had already done a few mods, such as CAI and Exhaust. But as far as I can tell, everything is bone stock like the day it left the line. I am 100% happy with my purchase and love my new (to me) truck. I have no doubts I will personally put another 100-200k more miles on it.

Cars last as long as the owner wants them to. If you do not keep the maintenance up on them, or beat the hell out of them, than they are going to have a much shorter life span than someone who takes care of their vehicle.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Almost 250k on mine and only really a few minor issues over it's life. I'm pretty sure there's a guy on here with over 300 on a 2nd gen. Probably in one of the posts listed above.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I just purchased a 2010 SE Crew Cab from a reputable dealer in my area with 103K miles on it. I was very skeptical with the mileage but took it for a test drive anyways. It was just as tight as a newer frontier. I couldn't believe i was driving a 5 year old 100k mile truck. It looked brand new and drove like it was new.

The previous owner had already done a few mods, such as CAI and Exhaust. But as far as I can tell, everything is bone stock like the day it left the line. I am 100% happy with my purchase and love my new (to me) truck. I have no doubts I will personally put another 100-200k more miles on it.

Cars last as long as the owner wants them to. If you do not keep the maintenance up on them, or beat the hell out of them, than they are going to have a much shorter life span than someone who takes care of their vehicle.
True. Only thing I'd add is that being driven regularly helps a lot. Your 5 year old, 100K truck didn't spend a lot of time sitting. If they're well maintained, they thrive on regular use.

·
Registered
3,891 Posts
I work with a fellow who bought a 2005 Frontier LE new. This morning I saw him in the parking lot and asked him how his truck was running. He affirmed that he still loved the truck and had 266,000 Miles on it. He didn't mention any notable problems.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
I've never had a bad vehicle 25+

To me everything past 100k everything is a wear item, besides the engine. As long as I change that oil and the engine treats me right, it's all gravy. No supercharger whine, timing chain tensioner noise. original clutch, Trans OK. but I'm only at 137K, I should start driving more. These are great trucks if their treated right. Probably like most vehicles would be great if treated right "PM" preventive maintenance is where most people fail.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
I have an 06 crew cab with 203k.
Just replaced the entire front suspension including SPC uca's.
The truck had a 139k miles on it when I bought it and it drove and looked like brand new.
I do not think the previous owner took very good care of her. I currently have a stretched timing chain and low oil pressure at idle. I'll probably be installing a newer engine by the end of summer.
Then I'll keep it for at least another five years.

Attachments

·
Registered
35 Posts
I had a 2008 with just under 80k when it was totaled

The 2006 I have now is at about 125k, and it just has tons of minor issues because the previous owner didn't take care of it

1 - 20 of 71 Posts