Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, I'm aware that I'm about to open some huge debate, but that's what I am looking for. I've read this thread a dozen times, in fact it's the main reason I went the route I did. The other reason I did was due to the countless other threads, builds and posts on the subject. As you know I recently leveled and lifted the truck. 2.5 inch spacers up front and 1.5 inch shackles in the rear...

This is my daily driver. I commute to work, run to the store and do various other light duties with it. I go camping regularly and a few times each year I'll have it do actual truck work, haul some stuff, tow some stuff, maybe even pull out a stump here and there. I'm also looking in time to take it off road...lightly...minor trails, mud, but nothing extreme like rock climbing or anything. I am going to be upgrading to some 33 inch tires on the new rims, but that's about the extent of my current upgrades. I plan on keeping it for a long time as well, so I'll be putting a lot of miles on this setup...

In time I plan on upgrading the suspension, shocks, controls arms and various other components, but that's down the road and honestly with the money I've already spent on it I'm most likely going to wait until I have to upgrade...or at least right before then :lol:. Until then, should I watch for anything? I'm not looking for "experts say" or "I've read a lot of people" type stuff, I'm looking for people who have actually done this to their truck and noticed things going wrong. I know the dangers and the "if you beat the hell out of" type stuff, but what real-world experience have you all had? Should I keep an eye on the shocks? How often? Maintenance? First things to typically go bad? Just anything that could be a heads-up that something is about to give. Thanks for any advice you may have!

·
Premium Member
5,762 Posts
I've put 2ish years and 36k miles on my '11 Pro-4x with 20 some thousand of those with the lift and 285's. I've ran my truck like a truck year round in MN. Hunted, camped, hauled, parked outside, etc.

The only "issues" I have come across was the rear axle seal and an issue with the locker (both replaced under warranty) and the occasional loose heat shield on the exhaust (fix with a hose clamp of proper size) and the fairly standard low coolant level that was probably low from the factory.

·
Premium Member
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did talk to one owner that said after about a year he started seeing sagging...though he wasn't driving a Pro4x, so maybe a little less durable shocks? Good to know Minnesota doesn't tear things up too bad.

·
Premium Member
5,762 Posts
I think my rear springs have settled a little, but, seems fine to me. still WAY on the bottom of the list of parts to replace. If I decide to go taller I'll go with proper lift springs. But until then, I'll run them.

In all honesty, I keep telling people that Nissan put together a pretty solid package with the Pro-4x.

·
Premium Member
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm starting to think that as well. I know there's always one-offs, but overall seems to be solid. When I decided I was going back to a truck I was bouncing back and forth between the Pro4x and a Colorado... I'm glad I went with the burger.

·
Premium Member
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Speaking of which...side question, @shizzy (and @MNCarl, since we all seem to be running similar base rigs) have you really needed to throw any weight in the back for our winters up here? The last truck I had seemed to do fine, but it was just a little Ranger (don't ask, I regret it, and it tried to kill me twice).

·
Registered
544 Posts
I've had my truck going on three years now and really haven't had many issues at all. I had my truck for about 5000 miles or so before the pinion seal started weeping, so I did the axle vent mod and its been fine since. My leaf springs suck, there flat on a good day never mind when I load it up or tow something, I'm wishing now I had just replaced the leaf pack at the beginning instead of doing the PRG add a leafs.

·
Registered
801 Posts
I don't have any lift on my 2013 sv, but at 33,000 miles my leaf springs are completely sprung and beyond saving. I've hauled a few heavy loads, but nothing that would cause this much failure, this quick.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
5,762 Posts
Speaking of which...side question, @shizzy (and @MNCarl, since we all seem to be running similar base rigs) have you really needed to throw any weight in the back for our winters up here? The last truck I had seemed to do fine, but it was just a little Ranger (don't ask, I regret it, and it tried to kill me twice).
Never.

·
Registered
895 Posts
What.?? ...Did I hear my name?

Sandbags? I have not had to do the sand bag thing in the winter since I traded in my 1997 2-wheel drive dodge dakota....(I still miss that truck sometimes)

My current set-up... I already have plenty (in fact too much) extra weight....Fiberglass topper , Antec sliding bed tray, Plastic bin/ tool box, heavy duty after market skid plates, bumpers, and rock sliders.
The below pic is before I re-did my suspension/lift:

But my previous Frontier 4x4 SL Crew cab / long bed , I just had my Plastic bin / tool box in the back and in the winter it was great....even in 2-wheel drive.
Another pic....everyone likes pics right?

What to watch out for?
My rear leaf springs are pretty much flat even with the PRG Deaver 2-leaf add a leaf 2" lift.
If you have a lift shackle only....from what I have read it will speed up process for your leaf springs flattening...but if you have no extra weight in the back you should be ok?

I purchased my truck "Used" and did a lot of preventive maintenance for the Minnesota winters (Road Salt).
Cut and pasted from my build thread:
Right after taking possession of the truck I touched up the paint on the rocker panels(100's of rock chips) with If remember correctly touch up paint from here: Automobile Touch Up Paint - Factory Matched Paints - Express Paint

After that I addressed the entire truck waxing by hand, a couple of bad areas and scratches with Turtle wax paste rubbing compound then pretty much the whole truck with Turtle wax paste finishing compound and lastly the entire truck with Turtle wax paste wax. All by hand ,no orbital buffer , wax on wax off.

Then the under carriage was addressed , spots and areas of rust from Minnesota winters / road salt , I laid under my truck for all weekend with a wire brush and a circular wire brush and a drill after that I touched up all the spots and areas with Chassis Saver paint : Paint Over Rust to Stop Rust Permanently With Chassis Saver Truck & Auto Underbody Coating

Lastly I brought the truck to what is most likely one of only a few Ziebart locations that actually take pride in there work and had the truck rust proofed , I even removed and the front fender inner wheel well liners so they could get way up in there.

Nothing else...... 57,000 miles on it.....all has been good.. new brake pads and slotted & drilled rotors where installed prior to me buying it "used".
Just oil changes and I have to adjust my parking brake.
I also have to change my front/rear diff and transfer case fluids soon.
Oh and I scratched (Pinstriped) the heck out of it (the entire body including the roof) off-roading here:
http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f15/northwoods-rendezvous-2016-a-257106/

The scratches are less noticeable now that I went over the entire truck again with turtle wax rubbing compound , finishing compound and paste wax.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts