Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Decided to take a bunch of other ideas and combine them. Wanted a dash mount for my phone, didn't like the vent mounts, wanted to use the blank space on my dash below the vent, wanted to try magnets.
I pulled the center portion of the dash out and found a good spot just above the hazard light switch. I found a neodymium (rare-earth) magnetic and mounted it to the inside of the dash panel after clearing away some plastic with a Dremel. I have an otterbox defender case on my phone so I cut a 2"x2" square of 26ga steel, glued it to the hard plastic inner case, and put the outer rubber case over.
I can now just place the phone on the dash and there it stays. Perfect spot to see the screen for gps or any other info that may pop up.
In one of the pics, you can really see the glue residue from the adhesive Velcro I used to put an old iPod up. Found out the adhesive would let go in hot weather. Unfortunately I didn't have the good sense to clean it up while it was soft and now it's petrified. I'll gladly take suggestions on how to remove super hardened glue without destroying the plastic.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,107 Posts
Cool idea! Though pretty sure I would be leery about magnets and electronics/touchscreens/etc. Safe? Very safe? Curious here.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Magnetic mounts are totally safe. You're probably thinking of magnets near hard drives which store data magnetically and can be erased with large magnets. Or old CRT monitors/TVs that whack out when magnets are close.

Cool idea! Though pretty sure I would be leery about magnets and electronics/touchscreens/etc. Safe? Very safe? Curious here.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had the same concern and did some checking before doing this project. Unlike older computers that had magnetic hard drives, the magnetic field doesn't erase or alter any data on the phone. The only thing I read that said it might be affected was if your phone had a compass function (I don't know that those truly use the earth's magnetic fields or just gps info).
When I first started looking up the info, I realized the idea wasn't completely original. There are companies that sell magnetic phone mounts.
I have been using it for a few weeks now and haven't noticed any ill effects from it. If that changes I'll post up a warning here.

·
Premium Member
6,107 Posts
I had the same concern and did some checking before doing this project. Unlike older computers that had magnetic hard drives, the magnetic field doesn't erase or alter any data on the phone. The only thing I read that said it might be affected was if your phone had a compass function (I don't know that those truly use the earth's magnetic fields or just gps info).
When I first started looking up the info, I realized the idea wasn't completely original. There are companies that sell magnetic phone mounts.
I have been using it for a few weeks now and haven't noticed any ill effects from it. If that changes I'll post up a warning here.
iPhone 5S here. Fwiw, my gps is turned off and my compass (and level) work fine w/o it on.
Velcro for peace of mind? lol

·
Registered
338 Posts
Where did you pickup the rare earth magnet? I am thinking of doing this but up top underneath the flat bin above the radio. Either that or just buying this and sticking it there.

·
Registered
581 Posts
i've been harvesting the magnets out of old hard drives for several years.
rare earth magnets may sound glamorous but you also want to be sure
that the strength is proportional to the job at hand. the magnets off the
hard drives can hold 10# so you may want to cut them down, or double
them depending on strength desired

·
Registered
74 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts