Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys I bought an HID kit from DDM tuning and it is supposed to be the hi/low kit. The problem is that the lights stay on low when I switch from low to high beams. I have read that you have to switch the three wires in the blue connector from where the original halogen bulbs connect to. My question is do I have to actually tear the wires apart or how do I switch their position, because I have tried but it is kind of hard and I don't want to ruin the kit, I want to know if I have to tear the wires and switch their position or take out all the entire thing (wire with the metal). Appreciate your help, and if you have pictures it will be much better thanks.

·
Super Moderator
11,166 Posts
There must be a tab to press in so you can remove the wire with the connector attached. Just make sure you have a diagram of how it was originally if you choose to put it back. Take a cell phone picture of it.

Clint

·
Premium Member
1,875 Posts
I have no idea, but im subscribed because i just order this kit. I hope it works out.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Yes, each of the wires has a tab on the metal blade. You have to use an extremely small screwdriver (say from a laptop kit) and slide it down each blade from the connector side of the blue connector (not the wire side). There is a small edge that this tab holds onto so you have to approach from the connector side.

It will look like this - I am not near it so I can't take a picture

|
|
|\ <-----tab that needs to be pressed down
w <----wire
w
w

·
Premium Member
1,875 Posts
are you installing it with the ddm tuning wiring harness as well?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, each of the wires has a tab on the metal blade. You have to use an extremely small screwdriver (say from a laptop kit) and slide it down each blade from the connector side of the blue connector (not the wire side). There is a small edge that this tab holds onto so you have to approach from the connector side.

It will look like this - I am not near it so I can't take a picture

|
|
|\ <-----tab that needs to be pressed down
w <----wire
w
w
Thanks a lot man the only problem is that I don't know which wire colors are the positive and negative, and I don't want to put them backwards and get the system electrically fried or something :/

·
Premium Member
1,875 Posts
so are you using the ddm harness. im just wondering cause i ordered the exact same 55w ddm tuning kit

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
so are you using the ddm harness. im just wondering cause i ordered the exact same 55w ddm tuning kit
Yes we got the same kit I guess you are going to have to do the same by switching the wires to get the hi/low work properly, I got the 35w though, I was also going to order the 55w but I though it would be way too bright and since I always get stopped by cops I don't want to get stopped just because of that lol. The 35w aren't that bright, but I don't know ,let me know if you get flashed to much with the 55w, because I am thinking in switching to 55w, later man

·
Premium Member
1,875 Posts
Yes we got the same kit I guess you are going to have to do the same by switching the wires to get the hi/low work properly, I got the 35w though, I was also going to order the 55w but I though it would be way too bright and since I always get stopped by cops I don't want to get stopped just because of that lol. The 35w aren't that bright, but I don't know ,let me know if you get flashed to much with the 55w, because I am thinking in switching to 55w, later man
What Im trying to ask is if you bought the wiring harness as well that goes from the battery with the relay. If not this might be your issue. I ordered the wiring harness as well.

Like this right here
HID Kit Wiring Harness: DDM Tuning - HID Kits, DEPO Lights, BMW Bumpers & Lighting

Cause there is another member who installed the ddm 55w hi/lo kit with no problems. but he used the wiring harness as well

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What Im trying to ask is if you bought the wiring harness as well that goes from the battery with the relay. If not this might be your issue. I ordered the wiring harness as well.

Like this right here
HID Kit Wiring Harness: DDM Tuning - HID Kits, DEPO Lights, BMW Bumpers & Lighting

Cause there is another member who installed the ddm 55w hi/lo kit with no problems. but he used the wiring harness as well
Yes I bought the wire harness also, well it comes included with the hi/low kit. The one you sent me in the link is the xenon(low or hi only) harness by the way, Not the bi/xenon(hi/low) it is a little different, the one I have (hi/low) looks exactly like this one

http://www.vvme.com/images/hid/Relay-Harness-For-Bi-Xenon(Dual-Beam)-HID-Kit.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,875 Posts
Yes I bought the wire harness also, well it comes included with the hi/low kit. The one you sent me in the link is the xenon(low or hi only) harness by the way, Not the bi/xenon(hi/low) it is a little different, the one I have (hi/low) looks exactly like this one

http://www.vvme.com/images/hid/Relay-Harness-For-Bi-Xenon(Dual-Beam)-HID-Kit.jpg
So you didnt order one extra cause thats exactly what i ordered. The hi/lo kit came with the harness to connect to the battery? Did I screw up? Cause I ordered exactly what another member ordered. He didnt make it sound like his hi/lo kit came with a harness cause he got it separately. He said they came with the extra little hi/lo controller.

Thats in this thread here.
http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f10/bi-xenon-hids-installed-53167/

·
Registered
158 Posts
Yes the blue connector piece is where the wires you move around. I highly doubt you will fry anything. I moved mine around many different combinations before I got it right as well. My HIDs also came from DDM with the harness and relay.

To switch wires around, I actually used needle nose pliers from my multi tool and pushed the tabs back through. I then reinserted the wires to get them to work.

Good luck, just be patient and you will get it!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So you didnt order one extra cause thats exactly what i ordered. The hi/lo kit came with the harness to connect to the battery? Did I screw up? Cause I ordered exactly what another member ordered. He didnt make it sound like his hi/lo kit came with a harness cause he got it separately. He said they came with the extra little hi/lo controller.

Thats in this thread here.
http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f10/bi-xenon-hids-installed-53167/
Well as far as I know the normal xenon kit doesn't include the wire harness, but the bi-xenon does. Maybe before you had to buy the wire harness separately or I don't know, I bought this kit a week ago DDM HID Kit Slim Ballast (35W or 55W): DDM Tuning - HID Kits, DEPO Lights, BMW Bumpers & Lighting with the hi/low option, it cost me 89 dlls including shipping and it included the wire harness, but who knows you'll have to wait till your kit arrives, I don't think they accept returns though

·
Premium Member
1,875 Posts
are your lights connected straight to the battery at all?

·
Registered
366 Posts
i have this exact problem!!!

and if you ordered the hi/low it comes with a wiring harness.

there is a positive wire that hooks up to your battery.

also a plus today i recieve a DDM kit i bought for my dads intrepid. i paid for regular ballast and the must have put slims in by mistake. +1 for me!

·
Premium Member
1,875 Posts
the kit came with the 2 bulbs, 2 ballasts, and the wire harness, the wire harness has a positive wire to connect to the battery, and 2 ground wires, it is also connected to the bulbs and ballasts.
alright cool man. ill just have to wait and see. i did already order the wiring harness though unfortunately. I'll call DDM tomorrow and Im still trying to ask the other member who said he ordered a separate wiring harness and didnt have any issues.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Yes the blue connector piece is where the wires you move around. I highly doubt you will fry anything. I moved mine around many different combinations before I got it right as well. My HIDs also came from DDM with the harness and relay.

To switch wires around, I actually used needle nose pliers from my multi tool and pushed the tabs back through. I then reinserted the wires to get them to work.

Good luck, just be patient and you will get it!
Thanks man, until now I haven't been able to switch the wires it is kind of complicated and I feel like if I push harder i'm going to break it or something you know how sensible those parts are. I've tried with several thin tools and I just can't take them out. I might have to go with an electricist or something, but anyways how are the 55w? do you get flashed a lot? cause I am thinking in switching from 35w to 55w because mine aren't that bright, but I dont want to get pull over neither

alright cool man. ill just have to wait and see. i did already order the wiring harness though unfortunately. I'll call DDM tomorrow and Im still trying to ask the other member who said he ordered a separate wiring harness and didnt have any issues.

yeah you should try calling to make sure that the kit includes the wire harness already, if your kit hasn't been shipped I think you can still cancel the wire harness order, good luck with that man

·
Registered
3,063 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Are you sure you got the right bulbs? I ordered a kit from them last year and instead of getting a bulb with hi and low beam, I got the single beam kit. Make sure you have the right kit before you start ripping into your wires. Also, if you got the correct bulbs, the relay that is on the harness might be dead. Once I got the correct bulbs, the relay that was on the harness was dead. I talked to them about it, and they did ship me out a new relay.

Dan

1 - 20 of 37 Posts