Nissan Frontier Forum banner

HID headlights?

57K views 53 replies 26 participants last post by  x_mods 
#1 ·
Thanks to all on this forum for sharing so much great info with newbies! Am pondering the merits of HID headlights for my 2010 Frontier LE. I don't know if I have one bulb that works for both Hi & Lo or if its a 2-bulb arrangement. Plan on country roads in NE Pennsylvania and think brighter light would be better for my old eyes. How hard is install? Best left to a pro or do-able by homeowner/tinkerer? Brands, prices of kits?
N'other question too. Read here about first generation stuff; not sure what generation my new truck is, and to be frank, not even sure whether I've already got HID headlights. Hope you all can clue me in.

Discussion starter · #17 ·
PnP? Retrofit?

Thanks all for sharing perspectives. As a 'newbie' I feel more than a bit lost here. Not sure what a PnP is, nor how to 'retrofit'. Main goal is good light on the country roads I drive up in NE Pennsylvania. If changing the OEM setup is a) a major league hassle or b) a major expense or c) really doesn't yield much brighter light on a dark country road, I'll just stand pat. If by 'retrofit' one means a complete replacement of the headlight, and it can do a better job of lighting the road, then I'm curious as to where to get these, how much $$ are we talking about and just how tough is it to do? Can't hardly wait to have you knowledgeable folks weigh in on this. Not trying to rile anybody up, just hoping to better understand my options (if any).
harvey

A PnP (Plug & Play) kit is something like this:
Dabears2k Performance
It just plugs into your existing wiring and replaces your existing halogen bulbs. There are quite a few Kelvin ranges to choose from but if you want the whitest, I would say 5000k is the way to go.
Thank you. I looked at the DaBears2k kit; seems like it'd cost $140-something dollars for my '10 Frontier LE. Doesn't look very difficult to do (he said foolishly? hopefully?). Seems OK for getting a quality HID setup with 9007 bulbs w/hi-lo beams, ballasts and bulbs, all w/a lifetime warranty (tho' I wonder just what that covers?). Now, just howinblazes do I get inside the headlights to do this seemingly magical conversion? Am I missing something or is this going to be just a bit more complicated than popping in vent shades?

Discussion starter · #22 ·
I got HIDS on my truck and they are sooooooo much better than stock or even better bulbs than factory. While HIDS are not street legal your not going to get hassled unless your a tard and put the 30ks on it. As long as you dont go higher than 6k you'll be ok. Anything higher than that and all your doing is adding color not better vision and defeating the purpose of why you wanted HIDs to begin with. I have 6k on both headlights and fogs lights and I love em. One of my fogs went out a while back and let me tell you the difference between having them and not having them was huge. Its more expensive than what others have told you but I got the O-NEX kit. Comes with a lifetime warranty. If you want HIDS for better vision ignore all the adjusting headlights or getting projector headlights or being all nit picky. They are a great investment. Beware of cheap ebay HIDS that are 30 bucks. I went through 3 kits off ebay and returned them all!!! Get a quality kit because in this case you really do get what you paid for.
Thank you. Looked at 6000k conversion kit w/9007 bulbs (hi/lo). Seems simple enough (?!) but am unsure how to begin- just how do I get inside the headlight assembly to replace the OEM ballast and install the bulbs? Once installed, am I done? Just plug-n-play? Seems like quality product tho' costly. Hopeful but anxious- do I default and have a pro do it or can a reasonably capable (older) guy do this himself? Appreciate your help and guidance.
harvey a

Discussion starter · #25 ·
What made it come out to $140?
To install the kit all you do is take out your old headlight bulbs, wire up the new stuff to the factory wiring, install the new bulbs in the headlight and mount the ballast somewhere stable. The dabears/ddm kit comes with pretty good instructions.

There is no OEM ballast to replace, your stock halogens dont use that. You get a ballast with the HID kit.
If you can change out a headlight bulb you can install a plug and play HID kit.

I ordered an HID kit from dabears2k a while back when I had my mazda3. Had no problems dealing with them and I really liked the slim ballasts in the kit. I have a 9006 kit from an Expedition and the ballasts are HUGE. I don't know wth I am going to do with this kit though :lol:
UPDATE: Dabears 2k website, kit for Frontier w/9007 lites (combo hi/lo beam) came to $105, kit for driving lites (fog lites) is $80.... think I'll try the headlites first- if successful, I can go back for the fog lites..... thanks for the encouragement; maybe it won't be a hassle after all.
harvey

Discussion starter · #36 ·
OK, I'll bite. I believe you're well intended. Am one of those aiming to convert my stock headlights to HID's. If they're NDG, where does one look for projector retrofits? Does the entire headlight come out? What kind of $$ are involved in such a changeover? This has to be way more complicated than swapping out bulb mounts and wiring in some ballasts.
harvey

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.