Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to convert my PIAA lights to HID. I know I can buy the kit from ddm tunning but how do you wire a relay to the ballasts? I know how to wire the relay for standard halogen bulbs but not sure how to go from the relay into the ballast and then to the lights. Any help would be appreciated

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
i just installed the ddm kit they are freaking bright i got the 9007hi/low but i either do not have low beams or do not have hi

the kit is real straight forward

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I understand the hookup to the factory light housing but that's not what I am doing. I am looking to convert a pair of offroad lights to HID and I need help wiring the ballasts to the relay.

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
I remember Steve47 converting a set of Hellas over to HID. It may be in the DIY section but it should give you some insight.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah I saw how to conver, but I haven't found how to wire them to a switch using a relay yet......anyone?

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I guess I'm not clear enough in the expanation. f1ip for wiring that to a set of offraoad lights....how would you turn it on???? The example above is excellent if I am replaceing my headlight bulbs. the stock plug will trigger the relay when I turn on my lights at the steering colum thus providing power. With my offroad light set up I have to flip a switch which is mounted in one of the knockouts to the left of the steering colum(1st gen) that switch triggers the relay to open thus drawing power from the battery. What I need to know is how to wire the switch in the knockout to the relay for the HID kit so it will turn on

·
Registered
398 Posts

Using the above picture, (which is the inside of a standard relay) so we are on the same page, you would connect the the 85 pin to Ground and the 86 pin to the in cab Switch. Connect the other side of the in cab switch to a switched +12V source. Or you can run a wire from the battery, to the other side of the switch to get the +12V. Justmake sure you use a fuse at the battery. Of course, pin 30 goes to the battery and pin 87 goes to the ballasts. Or vise-versa.

Hope that helps.

Ryan

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
87 and 87a? So that brings me to this How do you wire the relay to the ballasts? The ballasts I have seen use a plug that comes from the relay. I'm going to have wires

·
Registered
872 Posts
Well you're going to have to remove the plug coming from the ballast, or splice on a plug from the 87 wire from your relay. I'd recommend just removing the plug at the ballast all together and splicing the wires together with your own connector

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
okay i could be wrong but this is what i would do

i would install the kit like it says except with the positive lead going to your switch rather than the battery from the switch i would have a ground then id also have a positive going to the battery

there is a fuse installed on the harness that come with

i dont see why you would have to cut the clip/plug off

·
Registered
5,939 Posts
every aftermarket light NEEDS to be wired using a relay. its really not that difficult. your over thinking it. all you need is the main power(from the battery) run to the relay, ground the relay, a trigger wire(comes from the switch) and the power wire from the relay to the lights. your switch power can come from any source but i would caution you to only use them on empty roads due to glare.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
granny....you want me to wire power from my battery through the cab and out to the lights?......NO WAY! plus you keep showing me diagrams for standard lights.....notice there's no ballast in that drawing

Mytl1....ah ha!....the power wire from therelay doesn't go to the lights...it goes to the ballast! that's what I need to know! how do you wire the power from the relay to the ballast....LITERALLY!

·
Registered
135 Posts
how bout this??

On the D line connected to 86, you can connect that to an ACC line or battery and put the switch in the middle of that line to turn the lights on/off.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Aztec, Which ballasts are you using from DDM? If its the slim line model, you need a male 9006 connector to mate with the plug on the ballast. So you would wire the 87 pin to the positive on the 9006 connector and the the other lead to a ground.

Also, you could just buy the relay harness from DDM and cut the part off the plugs into the headlight socket and wire a switch in there.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts