Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have found plenty of posts about the Hi-Lift Jack and other similar jacks. My question is if anyone has used a Hi-Lift Extreme Jack and if it is worth the extra $$$.

Thanks,
Dion

·
Registered
12,584 Posts
a 48" jack would be useless for me, but not for someone else. it depends on your suspension and how high your truck is.
if you plan on using it as a winch, it may be worth it to get the longer jack.

some people don't want the top always in the 'clamp' position, like the 'extreme' hi-lift is configured, because when using the jack, it can slide into the truck and damage the panels easier.
if i were you, i would probably just get a regular 48", because it will probably suit your needs just fine.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I've used it many times when I was hung up, I've seen it used as a regular old mechanics jack for those whose trucks are too high to lift with a stock jack, I've seen it used as a come-along in the mud, basically, they're a good insurance policy, you won't need it until that one time comes along when you'll need it, you have it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I hadn't thought about the clamp smacking into the body. I am definitely going to get a jack and the winch accessory; I mainly want to find out if anyone has used or needed the clamp feature?

·
Registered
12,584 Posts
the one time i needed the clamp was when i bent a crossmember underneath my truck. the crossmember wasn't damaged by rocks, it was 'pulled' back from the torque my rear wheels were under because my upper link was attached to the crossmember.
unfortunately, the clamp wasn't of any use, because the handle wouldn't fit under the truck to crank on it.... hard to explain... but thats the one time i could have used the clamp, and even then, the clamp may have not been a sufficient solution.

the hi-lift would make a great mechanical winch though. it was pretty good peace of mind before i got my electric winch.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That is kinda of what I was thinking. Any need for clamping would be underneath where the handle would make it impossible to use. I'll be getting a standard 48" jack, winch kit and base to use.

Thanks,
Dion

I've also thought about a port-a-power, 10kpsi will make something move:)

·
Registered
12,584 Posts
no idea what a port-a-power is, but it sounds complicated. i like to keep things simple.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
12,584 Posts
that thing is a waste of money and looks complicated. i'm confident that a hi-lift would actually be more usefull for an offroad application than that thing.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Agreed that the port a power will be of little use in an offroad situation. I have a Hi-lift on order.

Thanks,
Dion

·
Registered
429 Posts
some people don't want the top always in the 'clamp' position, like the 'extreme' hi-lift is configured, because when using the jack, it can slide into the truck and damage the panels easier.
Just wanted to note that the clamp is on the top of the x-treme jack is removable if it is in the way for lifting. It can also be mounted on the top of the jack for clamping or winching purposes or can be mounted on the bottom of the jack for use as a spreader.

I have one but haven't had to opportunity to use it for anything yet other than just testing it out in the yard.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for everyone's replies. I received my Hi-lift jack last week along with the winching kit and base, I did not get the extreme but I think this will work for me. I'll have it with me the next time I go offroading and try winching with it to practice. I need to purchase a pull chain, tree protectors and shackles to go with it now. The fun never ends.

Dion

1 - 13 of 13 Posts