Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello from Montana. Having just totaled my Jeep Grand Cherokee in a rollover, and then spent two hours this morning getting my wife's AWD Toyota Sienna unstuck from the snow, I'm ready to buy another good 4wd, and I'm pretty sure it's going to be a Crew Cab Frontier. I'm joining up to learn about different models and features to help make the decision, and hopefully will continue to learn and contribute as I own my truck.

For a daily driver, hunting rig, family shuttle, and project hauler, I've found the following in my corner of the world:

-2002 SC Long bed CC, 92K Miles, $8500. It seems like a great deal but I'm nervous about the Supercharger and will start a thread about it. I've already learned a lot from this forum, but have a few more questions.

-2005 CC 105K Miles, $10K

-2008 CC, 130K Miles, $13K - I drove this and liked it a lot, but I'm not excited to pay so much for something with that many miles.

Any comments here would be great, but I'll go ask specific questions in the forum pages.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
I'd keep looking.
Early 2nd gens had timing chain, radiator/transmission and other problems. Shop for '10 or later and you'll have good reliable truck - be well worth extra $$.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the warning. How about the 1st Gens? I found another 2000 with 138K, which is a little high for me, but they seem to have long lives from what I've been seeing.

·
Premium Member
6,101 Posts
About how many miles will you expect to put on your new truck/Frontier annually?
Do you have a target max miles you'd like to attain before moving into another truck/vehicle?

·
Registered
5,996 Posts
The 1st and 2nd gens are very different vehicles. Choose one aND search for it.

I don't think the 2 mentioned issues are a problem. Yes buy the newest truck you can afford. Both issues wold have reared it's head by now. You can hear the chain whine and see the cross contamination.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
From what I've read, either the 1st or 2nd Gen would meet my needs, and with so few Frontiers for sale around in my area, I'm looking for the one that gives the best reliable value for the money.

I don't have a max number of miles before getting a new vehicle as long as a truck remains a reliable driver and not a money pit. I probably put about 7,000 miles on my vehicles per year.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The dealer with the 2008 came down to $11,800 for me, which is pretty comfortably below book. If there's no contamination in the tranny and if the part number on the radiator is one of the better ones, should I consider it no more of a risk than any other used car of similar vintage and mileage?

It also has the 6' bed, which is a nice feature. Should come in handy around the "ranch."

It's got 133K. With good care, could I reasonably hope to get another 100K out of it?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I checked, and the '08 has the later radiator that was less prone to infecting the transmission.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I tried out a Chevy Colorado today, travelling a few hours today to check it out. It was fine, although it seemed kind of sluggish compared to the Nissans. It wasn't bad, but I left it there. Right now it really looks like I'm going for the Nissan

·
Registered
397 Posts
Good luck with your search, when I bought mine in early Dec the used market was so highly priced it was smarter for me to get a new vehicle.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Quite a few used ones over here in Spokane on C/L

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm now a Frontier owner! I bought the '08 after they came down on the price for me. I'll take a photo tomorrow in the daylight. It was very nice the whole 2 hour drive home over dry, wet, snowy, and slushy roads. So far so good!

I felt kind of silly, but I played the sucker and bought a 2 year powertrain warranty. Hopefully, if there will be any tranny issues, they'll come up in that period.

By the way, thanks for the tip, OutFrontFrontier. I made some calls over to Spokane after your post.

Now to spend any remaining money I find in the couch cushions on goodies! Leer canopy, Utili-track gadgets...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts