Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hi everyone help me please?

I own a nissian frontier 2000 5sp pick up. that Im having problems with
but I dont know if Im allowed to post the problems here or another thread.

well I canot post anywhere else on this forum so I'll state my problem here I hope you dont mind.

2000 nissan fontier has slight engine sound/rattle with low acceleration at times?
here is whats going down:

I have a 2000 Nissan Frontier 5speed tranny nthat at times loses acceleration/low rpm and the engine is rattling but not strong and not to loud but loud enough for me to know thats not normal for my car. I was told by a guy who didnt even check inside the engine tell me he was certain it was a valve going out and that was also causing a problem with the muffler( he did a paper test on the outside of the pipe where he put the paper in front of it., he says the muffler is not blowing air smoothly.

anythow he then says we should replace the top part of the motor with a head kit.. because the nissan motors are strong on the bottom (now im sensing were being played with) wth? a whole head kit (remaufactured by the way) and on top of that on the says plus another head gasket, well what??!? doesnt that come in the kit that you're getting? he quotes us 2000.00 and never even looked unnder the engine he just went by sound. anyone have this problem? and he was like well once i start fixing the problem i will tell you if your timing chain is alright.. wtf why would you do that? why not give a proper dignostics then tell us what it needs done, instead of replacing the whole damn top of the motor... I feel like Im being baited. am I wrong??? Iam a girl I feel like he was jerking me around too :(

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
your cat or cats are bad and they are blowing the honeycomb packing around in the cat and prolly blown it to the muffler also. but thats causing the rattle under acceleration, that would be my guess, rather than engine problems
ohh how many miles?
welcome to club frontier!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the welcome. the truck has 180k but it's like when we got there the dood talked a good story how the nissans are strong, andim like okay but he didnt even do a diagnostics like I asked, he just listened to the sound and put the paper infront of the muffler pipe.
then quoted us 2grand for the entire top engine to be replaced. god damn. then I got suspicious. he claims its a valve in and instead of replacing just that he recommends the whole top part of the engine be re done. like wtf???
I dont know how he can guess a valve he didnt even open it up and check it out like he was supposed to.
my husband changed the oil himself last weekend, and it ran fine all week now this... I would need to ask him if he got the oil filter too gees. would this be a cause?
he claimed he had really bad rpms and acceleration was bad but when he got home to show me it was fine but the rattle was there. all your aswers are really helpful so I dont look stupid when going to someone to fix this problem!

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Welcome to CF!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
bad news?

just doled out 333.00 bucks :( for them to do a diagnostics. the guy tells me the engine is good, but then tells us ha cannot run a diagnostics on the converter until our truck gets a tune up...in the mean time he tells us he doesnt think it's the cat and it just needs a tune up so after the 333.00
we are told the truck needs a new belt and new cat converter. how bunk is that. 333.00 is alot for me to come up with. why the hell do machanics do that **** to people. leading them on is sooo damn not cool

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
just doled out 333.00 bucks :( for them to do a diagnostics. the guy tells me the engine is good, but then tells us ha cannot run a diagnostics on the converter until our truck gets a tune up...in the mean time he tells us he doesnt think it's the cat and it just needs a tune up so after the 333.00
we are told the truck needs a new belt and new cat converter. how bunk is that. 333.00 is alot for me to come up with. why the hell do machanics do that **** to people. leading them on is sooo damn not cool
yeah they do that to ppl,
but yeah the honeycomb is probably blown into the muffler also and you may want to look into a new one of those.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts