Nissan Frontier Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Banned
6,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i know i get alot of flame for not giving the best advice. I have honestly been up to my neck trying to get some things worked out for our community. This is one of them. A 05+ Frontier Specific LT kit. I've been in talks with Chris over at Nfabworks about developing my lowers that i show cased awhile back with alot of positive feeback. Now im trying to get him into the idea of making the upper's along with a custom spindle to go along with it.

I was going to try and do this my self but i am only one person& sense this is a pretty large community. I was wondering if you guys could throw up some feedback for him and myself. Along with idea's that could make it work better for our application.

This goes for those with 4wd or 2wd. As i've been in the works of mocking up a 4wd specific 2" spindle. So thanks guys for any feedback. it would be much appreciated.
Remember dimensions of the spindles would be helpful....

Chris's email (Showcase your support)
[email protected]

Stan :)

·
Banned
6,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Banned
6,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
whats wrong with PRG's or CST's.... or camburgs?
Its a Titan swap. Some of the guys i have spoken too are not for doing that sort of swap because then it costs alot more because of the different area's you have upgrade. They also are not for the much wider stance. I mean it would be an LT kit so there's some upgrades. But it would be nice for our community to have a specific kit they can go to and will bolt up and weld on without having other bother's.

But the thing im going to work on is keeping the frontier bolt pattern. Along with not having it as wide. As say Prg's Midtravel kit. Plus keep the cost to the consumer lower than the total for a Prg's Midtravel kit. Its called playing the game right. Also making an upgraded 2-3" 4wd spindle for those guys that would get the kit. For the spindles. No one makes a 4wd spindle that will work with Frontiers 4wd system.

The more products we have the better variety our community has to choose from. Thats the main point.

The cost of Camburgs LT kit for the titan is outrageous.
Cst& Prg's kits are Titan kits. Just looking forward to bringing something new& fresh to the market.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
you cant get the higher travel number without the additional width. Since the titan has the same frame and mounting points as a frontier all the titan kits can defitnly be considered frontier kits also. PRG and CST's are bolt on if you didnt need shock hoops. What other "bothers" are you speaking of? All these kits can keep the frontier bolt pattern. You cant make a lift spindle for 4wds.. fabtech, calmini, and companys that make drop bracket kits allready make their own 4wd spindles but they cant add lift. A 2wd spindle adds lift because the mounting point of the hub is lower.

My point is dont fix whats not broken. Your going to have a hell of a time getting anyone to build anything when your not investing any money of your own. Also when theres allready some great kits available that pretty much take full advantage of our frames. Not to mention if one company see's PRG's kit is grade A quality do you think they'll set their standards lower or higher? If they set them higher, wouldnt that mean added cost

·
Banned
6,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
you cant get the higher travel number without the additional width. Since the titan has the same frame and mounting points as a frontier all the titan kits can defitnly be considered frontier kits also. PRG and CST's are bolt on if you didnt need shock hoops. What other "bothers" are you speaking of? All these kits can keep the frontier bolt pattern. You cant make a lift spindle for 4wds.. fabtech, calmini, and companys that make drop bracket kits allready make their own 4wd spindles but they cant add lift. A 2wd spindle adds lift because the mounting point of the hub is lower.

My point is dont fix whats not broken. Your going to have a hell of a time getting anyone to build anything when your not investing any money of your own. Also when theres allready some great kits available that pretty much take full advantage of our frames. Not to mention if one company see's PRG's kit is grade A quality do you think they'll set their standards lower or higher? If they set them higher, wouldnt that mean added cost
I already have Chris at Nfabworks willing to try and run with my idea. Of course we will be setting our standards higher. He already has the connections to possibly make this kit very affordable. Im also going to invest my own money into this. I never said anything is broken with what Prg sells. But im for being different and pushing the mold. There's nothing wrong with that. Plus we need more options in our community. Thats my point plain& simple.

Your right about all kits keeping the frontier bolt pattern. The last i checked Terribleone did alot of mods' to keep it though.

Im looking for around 13-15" of travel out of this kit. To keep the width modest but still able to have the travel gains. Im looking for and have the durability that offroad enthusiast deserve. I was thinking about keeping the width to about 5" over stock. Then incorporating a box'ed upper w/ the lowers. I have mock'd up.

What bothering me is im asking for advice. So Chris and i can make this kit work and your over here telling me. That i should just pack my bags because Prg has everything. Now if we can get back to the product at hand and not talk about that anymore. I would appreciate it very much.

·
Senior Moderator
4,558 Posts
What was the outcome of this project? ^^

This is your last post in that thread.
btw 18-20 metal to metal, with strapped #'s being btw 15-18 depending on your combo. Im shooting for 17-18 on mine personally because i have something very special planned for the rear to compliment this beyond words.

should be enough room btw the actually arms of the lowers to mount a plate.....for the bumpstops, i was thinking somethinking like what they did for the colorado since they have tight area's also.

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
Not to hate or take this off topic. But isn't this sort of thing going to take a considerable financial investment off the bat to get the ball rolling on all this fabrication and design?

·
Banned
6,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
What was the outcome of this project? ^^

This is your last post in that thread.
The outcome of this project is the thread you are posting in right now. It's been something i've been very pleased with expecially with the amount of interest i have gathered over it& the compliments my lower's have won. I have had 4 ppl interested in building my kit besides Chris. One of them was Brenthel Industries. Its been hard truthfully because Im all the way over here in Georgia and most are over in California.

With me going the SAS route. I put that project on hold. As such it was needed. I hated that i had to for as long as i did. Because my plans needed to be shifted. Now i already have one fellow member on here well 2 actually willing to test out my the kit that i am speaking of right now. It is in the makings. So now its back on.

Not to hate or take this off topic. But isn't this sort of thing going to take a considerable financial investment off the bat to get the ball rolling on all this fabrication and design?
Its going take about 2grand to start this 05+ kit project on a goodnote. So we can build the arms. Then the R&D involved with it. Its just getting started now the idea's& setting the plans in motion.
Chris already has the materials to build the items listed. Its just going to now take the money to make it happen.

You know im just doing this for you guys. I've been hearing alot of talk over more products for community. How we aren't always looked upon for new& exciting products. If it takes fellow owners having to put in their own sweat& tears for it to be brought to light. Then so be it.

·
Banned
6,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What makes you think a Long Travel kit isn't going to be as wide, if not wider??
Already explained that.

Im looking for around 13-15" of travel out of this kit. To keep the width modest but still able to have the travel gains. Im looking for and have the durability that offroad enthusiast deserve. I was thinking about keeping the width to about 5" over stock. Then incorporating a box'ed upper w/ the lowers. I have mock'd up.
I just dont want it being too wide. Just right......

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
in all seriousness.... this is never gonna get built. unless you take the cardboard arm down to the guys shops with a truck so he can adapt your design to a frontier. No one is going to be able to take your design and guess how its going to cycle on a frontier. Now you cant run that big of a LCA without a bigger UCA. Then if you want it to really want it to be long travel capable your going to need to have him build shock hoops with a 8" coilover or bigger and then trial and error begins. shock tabs will probally be moved several times to find out how to get the desired travel and ride quality. Then testing and fine tuning.

long story short, Your going to need to invest thousands of dollars before you'll find out if it even works. All to have a 2" narrower track width? Why would that be worth anyones time and money when we allready have a few kits, that have allready been tested and proven??

This is as crazy as considering a "bolt-on/weld-on" all-in-one SAS kit could be sold. Especially since no one... including the Nissan Pros have accomplished this on a frontier yet.

Bottom-line the thought of an SAS or LT frontier gives everyone "goosebumps" but no matter what, if you want those things your always going to end up with a one off custom build. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I dont know about everyone else but I would have either a SAS frontier or a Long travel frontier if I didnt think I would be investing more $$$ then what the truck is worth.

·
Senior Moderator
4,558 Posts
I already have Chris at Nfabworks willing to try and run with my idea. Of course we will be setting our standards higher. He already has the connections to possibly make this kit very affordable. Im also going to invest my own money into this. I never said anything is broken with what Prg sells. But im for being different and pushing the mold. There's nothing wrong with that. Plus we need more options in our community. Thats my point plain& simple.

Your right about all kits keeping the frontier bolt pattern. The last i checked Terribleone did alot of mods' to keep it though.

What bothering me is im asking for advice. So Chris and i can make this kit work and your over here telling me. That i should just pack my bags because Prg has everything. Now if we can get back to the product at hand and not talk about that anymore. I would appreciate it very much.
Good for you creating more aftermarket for the community. I hope you get what you need to finalize the designs and prototypes. The paper mockup looked good.

Just so we're all on the same page, the PRG Titan swap is 6" wider than stock. You're proposing 5" over stock track width.

So you're thinking about shaving off 0.5" per side (vs the Titan swap), a spindle that is compatible with the 4X4s and your version of the control arm(s).
These are what your goals are, right?

Not being sarcastic, I just want to lay it out in plain English. You can get a bit confusing sometimes, Stan.

·
Banned
6,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
in all seriousness.... this is never gonna get built. unless you take the cardboard arm down to the guys shops with a truck so he can adapt your design to a frontier. No one is going to be able to take your design and guess how its going to cycle on a frontier. Now you cant run that big of a LCA without a bigger UCA. Then if you want it to really want it to be long travel capable your going to need to have him build shock hoops with a 8" coilover or bigger and then trial and error begins. shock tabs will probally be moved several times to find out how to get the desired travel and ride quality. Then testing and fine tuning.

long story short, Your going to need to invest thousands of dollars before you'll find out if it even works. All to have a 2" narrower track width? Why would that be worth anyones time and money when we allready have a few kits, that have allready been tested and proven??

This is as crazy as considering a "bolt-on/weld-on" all-in-one SAS kit could be sold. Especially since no one... including the Nissan Pros have accomplished this on a frontier yet.

Bottom-line the thought of an SAS or LT frontier gives everyone "goosebumps" but no matter what, if you want those things your always going to end up with a one off custom build.

Thats why i have been in Talks with Chris over these things. My truck will be getting a SAS soon enough. My truck will be the guniea pig for the SAS kit design. The clearance issues. The mechanics will all be tested eventually. On my own truck. So that is not on my concern because that pretty much laid out. Im just gathering interest like any normal person would. So they could determine the need or lack there of a kit. Of this sort.

For the LT kit yes. I am fully aware i will have to have do the R&D. I have already discussed this earlier in this thread. I am have come to terms. So in all seriousness yes its envolved but its not all that complicated when you already have your plans written out. Like i do. Some see the true value in their trucks not its market value and want to go from there. Im just helping them do so.

Good for you creating more aftermarket for the community. I hope you get what you need to finalize the designs and prototypes. The paper mockup looked good.

Just so we're all on the same page, the PRG Titan swap is 6" wider than stock. You're proposing 5" over stock track width.

So you're thinking about shaving off 0.5" per side (vs the Titan swap), a spindle that is compatible with the 4X4s and your version of the control arm(s).
These are what your goals are, right?

Not being sarcastic, I just want to lay it out in plain English. You can get a bit confusing sometimes, Stan.
Yes you are right. Some of the things i do say come off confusing. Im sorry if anything i say comes off confusing.

This is compared to Prg's Midtravel kit. Not his regular titan swap. So in all truth yes. I would like a very good in btw for consumers. I thought you meant the Prg Midtravel kit. My bad....

After talking with everyone's favorite guy Mike a couple of times at Coal Creek about the titan swap. After hearing what him and others have said concerning the titan swap. I wanted something that was good for a variety of people. For those that pre-run or those who do trail runs. Who need extra wheel travel but dont want the added width getting in the way of trail obstacles. Who want stability and offroad prowlness but also very good street manners. A kit they can live with everyday. There familes can feel safe driving along in. The buyers can feel safe driving with.

·
Banned
6,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
any plans for the rear?
Here's some pics of what i was thinking for the rear.

Now my reasoning for mounting the shackle above the frame. Is to keep the lift to a minimal. Because the Front Kit will not have alot of lift to it. Because i am looking for low& wide stance. Like you see on actual offroad race vehicles. Think CORR offroad racing. The use of a 12" shackle. Then a re-inforced front hanger would be available. Since there is a plenty of Shocks& Leaves available. The same can be said about bumpstops. They can be optioned in.

Along with something like this. A low profile bedcage capable of housing up to a 16" travel shock. Now this is from Camburg and is $1450. That is too much in my mind for the budget minded wheeler. So im looking at making one at a considerably lower price.

Actually been thinking about having a completely bolt in Bedcage that uses the Stock Utli-trac system. But alot of people have doubts about the strength of this sort of item.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
very interested to see how your going to get longtravel numbers without wider track width than titan swap??????????????
obviously spindle, but your uca is going to be getting pushed up so high that you'll need fiberglass not to mention the travel of tires going up.

not to mention its all going to cost a lot more than titan swap-well at least a couple K more-and will prob have to do more mods/adjustments then getting a titan swap to bolt up. what about limit straps and bumpstops? both things you need for LT kits. comes down to it, i dont see this lift being affordable for the average wheeler/budget minded wheeler who can look at a titan swap and see thats what they need for what they do.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.