Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im new to the forum and to Nissan frontiers as well. I have a question about my new truck. It was a gift. 2007 nissan frontier 4.0l le 4x4 102k. It does start but has a constant putter and no power. I got underneath and checked the exhaust and both cats have EXPLODED. Can I replace them my self?

·
Premium Member
7,379 Posts
Rusted out or detonated??

Any codes?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They look like theey have been filleted. And its the front two. Im am getting 2 codes the multiply random misfire, and fuel level sensor high

·
Registered
170 Posts
Firstly... WOW! THat's an awesome gift! Secondly... WOW! BLOWN CATS!?!? That's a new one for me. Best of luck to you.

·
Premium Member
7,379 Posts
Fix your upstream problems as they may have contributed to your cat issue(s).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Second on the sentiment that you've got an awesome gift! I wish someone would throw gifts like that my way more often too! Haha! But honestly, if you find you have a bit of cash to get the vehicle done up properly since you're only just having a new go at it, get it down up and checked thoroughly at a shop so that it's fully road worthy right off the bad. Good luck and welcome to the club!

·
Registered
553 Posts
You have an issue with the ignition or fuel system. Excess fuel will ruin the catalyst. As stated fix those issues first.

There are 4 cats on a VQ40. The primary cats are monitored by the ECU. The secondaries can be replaced with "off road / race use" B pipes without triggering a check engine light.

You can get aftermarket bolt direct on replacements for a fraction of the cost compared to OEM. The quality is no where near as nice and I am skeptical of their life span. I replaced one of my primaries with a Walker replacement. Fitment was fine. The job is not all that hard if you have the tools an know how. Get metal gaskets no matter what.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Ok well my plan was to take the cats off and replace the plugs and crank it to see if it levels out. I was told that it drove for 2 hours towing a car until its started having issues. It was sitting for 6 months prior to this.

I will also drop the gas tank and try to replace the fuel sensor and or fuel pump

1 - 9 of 9 Posts