Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Say you're going about 40mph on your truck with an Automatic Transmission and accidentally shifted it up to neutral. Now my question is what can this do to your truck.
Any replies will help and thanx for your time. :?:

·
Registered
92 Posts
So I looked, like you asked, but instead you get the question...What was your right foot doing at the time it shifted into neutral?

I would say, and I'm sure I'll be corrected if I'm wrong, that if you're not pressing the gas then really nothing would happen. Kind of like pressing in the clutch of a manual. That being said, I'm sure it can't be too good for the tranny.

If you were pressing the gas when it happened, then you would discover when the rev limiter really kicks in on your truck. (I think we have a limiter, I've just never tested it personally.)

And you should probably be just a bit more descriptive in the thread title.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Made you look didn't I. Thanx for the response and ya i was stepping on the gas.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Actually after really re-thinking the whole situation my foot was prob off the gas pedal and right when it shifted into neutral the engine revved but not looking on the odometer did'nt know how high it went. I was also quick into shifting it back into Drive so that i wouldn't cause an accident. Now if someone can answer another one of my ?'s if something is wrong with my tranny or even my engine (knock on wood) what would be the first signs of trouble ie... slow throtle response etc... Thanks for the response Stormrider.

·
Registered
2 Posts
its not an odometer...its a tachometer...you didnt hurt anything...the only time youll hurt your tranny is if you throwit in park or reverse...and it wont let you do any of those anyway ( or at least it shouldnt let you)the only thing that would damage is your motor for revving so high(if you hit the redline)

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
Okay, now I have to ask a question... How in the heck do you accidently throw the shift lever into neutral? You used to drive a manual transmission didn't you! :lol:

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
I think there is a rev limiter but I dont want to test it. The highest I have ever gotten the rpm's was a little before red line when flooring it. Putting it into N while driving isnt the best thing to do but as long as your foot was off the gas and you dont do it often its cool. I had a friend who was a idiot who would drive around and shift into N (on an auto) and rev the eninge then shift into drive. He did it all the time and after 3 or 4 months the car started to leak oil....

·
Registered
133 Posts
FYI....I hit the rev limiter in 3rd with the auto,today.It kicks in right at redline.
I was passing,pulled it into third,just to see what happens when you wind out third.
:roll: bounces around near 6500 until you shift into drive.It is not very abrubt or anything,so I didn't crap myself when it happened.However, I don't ever want to do it again
Let me first say that I don't normally hammer on my vehicles,and I take very good care of them :wink: I also do not recommend unsafe driving. :D
That being said...If you happen to have some open road,turn the overdrive off,drop the auto. down to third at about 65mph, and nail it. 8O WOW... 8O
It is very easy to hit the rev limiter,because the engine pulls to redline so hard.I bet that engine would make power to 7000 rpm easily without a rev limit What an awesome engine and truck!!
Jay

1 - 8 of 8 Posts