Nissan Frontier Forum banner

41 - 45 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Heat is a automatic transmissions worst enemy. A quick check is to let the vehicle warm up for 5 minutes at idle in park. Then an additional 1 minute in drive at a stop. By then the transmission fluid temperature should be about 175*f. Then go drive it for 5-10 miles in stop and go traffic if you hear any type of whining, growling and/or the transmission shifts are out of character of anything that you’ve ever driven, Pass and move on to the next choice. (I’m a 10+ year ASE master mechanic that has seen some very expensive and unexpected transmission failures.) hope this helps and can save you from wasting some $.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I’m a single mom looking at a 2006 Frontier for my son. The seller says it needs a transmission filter and that’s all that’s wrong. Is that an easy fix or am I potentially getting into a deeper problem if I buy this truck. I know there’s no guarantees and I realize it’s an older truck so there may be some issues, just need some friendly advice here. Thanks!
I would not trust anything the seller has to say he is probably full of it like everyone else here has said that year is notorious for coolant intrusion into the transmission if you feel like the truck is worth it take it somewhere to have not only the transmission checked but have them do a check of the catalytic converter‘s first gen frontiers 99-04 vg33e engine are very reliable vehicle for the most part if they are taken care of the only downside is it has a timing belt that must be replaced every 100k other then that it is a solid truck it will have a power steering hose leak and probably a ac line leak but the parts are pretty cheep and available the only other downside is if you get the 4x4 the rotors can be a nightmare to replace if you don’t know what your doing but to end it DONT BUY IT it’s not worth it it’s really hard sometimes when you get Excited About a car you like but in the end it’s never worth it

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
41 - 45 of 45 Posts