Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m a single mom looking at a 2006 Frontier for my son. The seller says it needs a transmission filter and that’s all that’s wrong. Is that an easy fix or am I potentially getting into a deeper problem if I buy this truck. I know there’s no guarantees and I realize it’s an older truck so there may be some issues, just need some friendly advice here. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
5,731 Posts
Bring it to a COMPETENT independent mechanic for an extensive look over. It is worth the $150-200 for him/her to go over it w/ a fine toothed comb...ESPECIALLY if they say it is NOT worth purchasing.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bring it to a COMPETENT independent mechanic for an extensive look over. It is worth the $150-200 for him/her to go over it w/ a fine toothed comb...ESPECIALLY if they say it is NOT worth purchasing.
Ok awesome advice! Thank you!!!

·
Premium Member
159 Posts
You'll get replies from people smarter than me. But given the year, my fear would be that the truck has suffered from cross-contamination of the radiator and transmission. See transmission-radiator-cross-contamination-on-05-10-models. If the truck has any transmission issues and they are saying it's "just a filter" I'd be pretty concerned it's really "just a new transmission and radiator".

·
Premium Member
5,731 Posts
^^^ What he said is VERY true. Buyer beware given these particular circumstances.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Take the advice... bring to a good mechanic , mention “strawberry milkshake” and let them inspect it. You’ll be happy at the end.

it’s either a good truck with the “SMOD” strawberry milkshake of death” already taken care of,

or

it’s has the SMOD and it needs to be $$$ fixed (thousands)

so $100 for 1hr look over at mechanic is really worth it.

·
Registered
729 Posts
X2 ( or 3) on the thorough check by a competent mechanic.

Once you find a good truck, this is the place to get all the help you or your son need!

·
Registered
867 Posts
I'd skip it.
There is no way of knowing if the trans filter needs replacing...there are no performance issues from an old filter.
It has major transmission problems that most likely will cost more to repair than you pay for the truck.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Agreed....there is absolutely no way to diagnose a bad transmission filter. The filter is inside the transmission and cannot be seen or checked.
He’s gotta be untrustworthy and untruthful.

I would not WALK away from this truck.....I’d RUN LIKE MY BUTT WAS ON FIRE!!!!!!!

By the way, I assume this is an automatic transmission....a manual transmission has NO FILTER. UGH

·
Premium Member
10,179 Posts
The truck doesn’t have a trans filter like in years past, it’s basically a screen. Look elsewhere and don’t even consider this truck unless you’re a single Mom with cash to burn.

Clint

·
Registered
797 Posts
Please take the previous comments to heart. Single dad here since 05 & have been able to assist single mom friends unwind ripoff car deals a time or two. The transmission issue is well documented here and wasn't addressed by Nissan until after 2010, I think?

·
Registered
960 Posts
There are lots of Frontiers in this world, there's no need to settle on one that's mechanically unsound from the getgo.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
A 2006 has six figures miles on it. Most likely it has more than one issue. A tranny can cost $2k. Ask if the catalytic converters have been replaced. They too will cost you $2k.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
I know at my local transmission shop they can test the transmission fluid and see if there is any coolant contamination. If so you need a trans rebuild and in radiator. my mechanic I use for stuff I do not want to tackle will check over a used car before buying it for about 150. That is money well spent.

·
Premium Member
10,179 Posts
Ok awesome advice! Thank you!!!
The members here are far more aware of any issues the Frontiers have than just a local mechanic. In this forum the early model years and transmission issues bring up many red flags. Mine was done under warranty and a new trans with labor was $5000 in 2012. You’ll be better off by a long shot by not furthering this possible purchase. Now I see we even saved you that $150.

Clint

1 - 20 of 30 Posts