Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought an 07 frontier from my uncle knowing the transmission needed to be fixed. The shop that is fixing it, which I know they are honest and legit, fixed the transmission but said there was chatter when he drove it afterwards. He thought it was the torque converter but that wasnt the problem. Now he thinks ita the throttle body. Has anyone had any of these problems and if so what was the cause. My truck has been in the shop for 3 weeks now.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Was the noise there before they fixed it? loose bolt?

Where are you located? Sound clip would help or were the noise was coming from.

·
Registered
651 Posts
A cat with a loose brick inside can make a frightening rattle, and they're close to the suspect converter. Really no harm in letting the cat rattle until you can swap it out. Many times they are noisiest at idle. Use a 4 ft length of garden hose as a stethoscope to track it down.
LISTEN HERE

·
Premium Member
10,008 Posts
A cat with a loose brick inside can make a frightening rattle, and they're close to the suspect converter. Really no harm in letting the cat rattle until you can swap it out. Many times they are noisiest at idle. Use a 4 ft length of garden hose as a stethoscope to track it down.
LISTEN HERE

Nissans are known to suck loose cat particles back into the the engine and have a catastrophic engine failure, when sure that it’s a bad cat always replace it as fast as possible. This issue has been on here in the past with sad results.

Clint

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It wasnt making a sound that I am aware of. It stopped shifting and wouldn't go over 45 mph or so. My uncle is pretty decent with cars so he knew it was the transmission. I had to drive it to the shop and I didnt notice anything out of the ordinary as far as sounds on the drive.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
They rebuilt the transmission, put on a new torque converter and now they are replacing the throttle body. All I am paying for is the transmission, everything else is on their dime.

·
Registered
651 Posts
It wasnt making a sound that I am aware of. It stopped shifting and wouldn't go over 45 mph or so. My uncle is pretty decent with cars so he knew it was the transmission. I had to drive it to the shop and I didnt notice anything out of the ordinary as far as sounds on the drive.
The block inside the cat can break loose at any time. It's just a tack weld holding in in place. If the problem is a rattle/chatter, check to see if the cat isn't the source of the problem. Just a coincidence that it started when the tranny got fixed. It's not something the tranny guy did, it would have failed just the same on you.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
just wondering how much they charge you for the rebuild?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
To rebuild the transmission it will be 2,500. Everything else they are doing they are paying for themselves.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Thats pretty cheap. I do not know why they think the throttle body is bad. By me a rebuild is about 4k to 4.5k with a 5yr 100k warranty.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
They are also going to set it up so the radiator hose doesnt mess up like that year likes to do.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts