Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I burned out my clutch on my 2011 Nissan Frontier SV4x4 CC, and I know that when you burn the clutch, you need to get a new flywheel to go with it. I dropped off my truck at an autoshop, and I need to go over the receipt with them tomorrow. Theyre charging $1350 for the clutch and towing, and another $500 for the flywheel. It did get towed about 25mi to go to the shop, because I was out in the middle of bumpkinville South Carolina. Overall cost to do everything for them is $1850 plus tax. Is this too high?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Seems about rite. It's not hard to do yourself if your handy for less then half that. Also seems like you need to learn how to shift without the clutch. Coulda saved you a little money.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks 925pro4x. I actually just bought the truck. I've had it less than 90 days, and bought it from the dealership with 59k mi and its at 70k now. Do you think there is anything the dealership should be doing to help me out? I've been looking at lemonlaw and stuff, because im lowkey hella salty that Im already dropping almost 2k into my brand new truck.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I don't see the dealer helping at all as your used car warranty is up of you even got one. Have you driven sticks in the past? A clutch burning out won't fall under any type of lemon law because more then likely it was do to the way you drove the vehicle over the last 11k. And at the very least this is what the dealership will tell you. I've driven hundreds of thousands of miles with a stick and never burnt the clutch out of any vehicle. The 6 speed in the frontier took a little while to get used to shifting. Get a couple buddies a couple jacks and some tools, maybe a 12 pack and tackle it over a weekend. It will set you up to save money in the future as well. It's only a bunch of bolts.

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
You do not necessarily need to replace the flywheel.
My clutch blew with less than 7,000 miles.
Granted, it saw hard use.
Other people have also seen early clutch failure.
It failed on a Saturday and I needed to be in Ensenada with it on Wednesday.
We pulled the tranny on Sunday but could not find a clutch.
Had mine rebuilt by Mcleod on Monday( cost less than $300).Done by that evening. Used same flywheel, just roughed it up with 80 grit.
Raced the Baja 1000, same clutch in it now.
It is a lot of work and you need proper tools and equipment. We did it for the cost of the rebuilt clutch.

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't see the dealer helping at all as your used car warranty is up of you even got one. Have you driven sticks in the past? A clutch burning out won't fall under any type of lemon law because more then likely it was do to the way you drove the vehicle over the last 11k. And at the very least this is what the dealership will tell you. I've driven hundreds of thousands of miles with a stick and never burnt the clutch out of any vehicle. The 6 speed in the frontier took a little while to get used to shifting. Get a couple buddies a couple jacks and some tools, maybe a 12 pack and tackle it over a weekend. It will set you up to save money in the future as well. It's only a bunch of bolts.
Yes, Ive driven sticks in the past. Granted they've been sporty shifts, I did have to learn the difference, but it didnt take long for me to pick up the frontys clutch. Personally, I would put my money on the previous owner having worn out the clutch, but I still dont know. The previous owner owned it for 6 years and put less than 60k on it, but 70k still seems incredibly low for a clutch to burn out.

I learned stick on a buddiees '08 Z06 vette, and drove an 87 944 and 13 fiat 5000L that were both manual. Never had a problem with the clutch on either.

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
There have been early failures with Nissan Frontier clutches. Has nothing to do with driving style.
I never had to replace a clutch in any of my vehicles. My Fords went over 200k without a clutch replacement and saw quite a bit more abuse than the Frontier.
Drove nothing but sticks in the military( I was a mechanic) deuce and a half, five tons, jeeps etc.
My 56 Chevy panel truck had a built 327 Vette motor and a close ratio Muncie trans. Never had a clutch failure.
Same with motorcycles with the exception of our d altered Honda four drag bike.
We only got five passes with the clutch plates before we had to replace them.
My current vehicles are manuals.2004 Dodge, 2012 Ford Focus.

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
Get a couple buddies a couple jacks and some tools, maybe a 12 pack and tackle it over a weekend. It will set you up to save money in the future as well. It's only a bunch of bolts.
If you do decide to do it yourself, there a couple of bolts on the bell housing that are hard to reach. You need extensions that will reach about four feet so you can reach them from behind the transfer case.
Since I just had my clutch rebuilt, I needed a alignment tool. Friend gave me one ( owner of a tranny shop),
Also you need a large torx bit. I don't remember the size( friend called his Snap On guy and brought it over).
Helps if you have a tranny jack.

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
Friend from my motorcycles days brought over some photos from 73-75.
Here is a photo of our d/altered drag bike I mentioned.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,546 Posts
I lost the clutch in my '08 at 77,000 miles. Of course it was my fault due to poor off-road driving. The $500.00 for the flywheel is fair (for a shop fee)... you can get a good quality flywheel from Rock Auto for much less ... if the shop will let you buy your own parts. Our Frontiers have a "dual mass" flywheel that makes them somewhat expensive when compared to other types.
I did the work on my clutch, etc and replaced the flywheel as well. Figured that I might as well since I plan to keep my truck for a good long time.

I respect Whistler's opinions very much, he is a valuable member around these parts ... always offering great insight and opinions. Having said that, changing a clutch and/or flywheel is not for the faint of heart or the inexperienced in my humble opinion

·
Registered
129 Posts
bhowdy; I respect Whistler's opinions very much said:
I tackled my first clutch job at 17. It's just like anything else. Remember how it came out. And put it back the same way. As mentioned a tranny jack does help tremendously but can be done with regular jacks as well. Also as mentioned you do need a few extensions and knuckles to get to some hard to reach bolts. But the good thing about spending mo at on tools you don't have and need as opposed to paying someone else to do it? You still have the tools when your done. To each his own. With as much help is on the internet these days it makes this much easier then when I did it as a kid.

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
Nice of you to say bhowdy.
I guess I should of added along with proper tools and equipment, having the skills.
There is that commercial where this guy asked his friend,"is this a lug wrench?", his friend answers "maybe".
Well, they should not attempt a clutch job.

·
Registered
5,187 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
I like that Ill try the fluid prank this week

·
Registered
5,969 Posts
THe price quoted is about right.
As mentioned our trucks have a dual mass flywheel. If there is nothing wrong with the flywheel you can reuse it. The flywheel has a couple of moving parts and springs. If the springs or parts are busted, or there is warpage, then you NEED a new wheel. It is one of those "while you are in there" type of things.

IF you do not regularly work on cars I would not try changing a clutch. It is NOT a beginner project.

Also shifting without a clutch would probably not have saved you a tow. Getting the truck moving without a clutch is nearly impossible.

And Whistler now does one rebuild a clutch. I am guessing just new friction material. Pressure plate and fingers reused?

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
And Whistler now does one rebuild a clutch. I am guessing just new friction material. Pressure plate and fingers reused?
Yes, just sent the pressure plate and the throw out bearing to Mcleod.
We were able to drive the Frontier but the clutch slipped under hard use. This was with the stock clutch.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts