Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have an 07 4x4 CC LWB SE and I am adding a Grover 1510 emergency horn with a VIAIR compressor/tank to my truck. I previously had a semi horn with a separate switch but I would like to wire my air horn to my stock horn steering wheel pad. I have heard I can use an "on-on" switch to toggle between my stock and new horns. Does anyone know:

which wire is the horn wire?
where is the best place to tap into that wire?

any other suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated!

I will have photos once I get started. I am placing my compressor/tank in front of the gas tank, horn in front of my radiator.

Thanks!!!

·
Premium Member
262 Posts
Just wondering..

Why?

D-mo

·
Registered
335 Posts
ive never had my horn pad off, but typically when you take it off you will see two wires and one is a ground. you wont be able to run a new wire from there because of the roll conectore in the steering column. you are either going to have to catch the wire along the steering column or at the horns themselves. And then you still wont be able to add any switches and you have to pay attention to how much you draw from that circuit.

because I have a few lights, i would add a panel with switches for lights and a horn with all new wiring, kind of like emergency vehicles have.

·
Registered
5,939 Posts
this would require you to run the horn wire from the harness to a switch then 2 leads out. one to the factory horn and the second to the air horn. its not that hard to do but you need to figure out how much power it takes to trigger the factory horn. it should be 12v but with nissan its hard to tell.

·
Registered
304 Posts
whoa!

slow down, don’t even think about the bother messing with the steering wheel. That's just stupid as you could accidently deploy your air bag and it costs a lot to have it put back in place.

Go right to the horn and use the lines there. I added a GM horn to my regular Nissan horn so it was super easy. If you want a little more and an on-on switch then just use that line and a relay, run two or three small wires in the cab from the fire wall to a switch from that relay.

Use an on - on - on switch so you can have stk / new / stk & new Should always run a home run for power. (Fused power from battery.)
a couple relays and you can set your switch in side to 1 2 or 3 and use stk horn steering wheel to activate.

Might seem like a ***** to run the extra wires in to the cab for the switch but messing around with that steering wheel could cost you hundreds!! And patching in to stk lines just isn't pretty.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Check an alarm install data sheet to be sure, but it should be a brown wire in the steering column harness which is also a negative trigger(ground to honk).

G/L.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
this would require you to run the horn wire from the harness to a switch then 2 leads out. one to the factory horn and the second to the air horn. its not that hard to do but you need to figure out how much power it takes to trigger the factory horn. it should be 12v but with nissan its hard to tell.
I agree, I think grabbing it from the horn side of the harness would make the most sense.

whoa!

slow down, don’t even think about the bother messing with the steering wheel. That's just stupid as you could accidently deploy your air bag and it costs a lot to have it put back in place.

Go right to the horn and use the lines there. I added a GM horn to my regular Nissan horn so it was super easy. If you want a little more and an on-on switch then just use that line and a relay, run two or three small wires in the cab from the fire wall to a switch from that relay.

Use an on - on - on switch so you can have stk / new / stk & new Should always run a home run for power. (Fused power from battery.)
a couple relays and you can set your switch in side to 1 2 or 3 and use stk horn steering wheel to activate.

Might seem like a ***** to run the extra wires in to the cab for the switch but messing around with that steering wheel could cost you hundreds!! And patching in to stk lines just isn't pretty.
I am with you on that, I won't even attempt to mess with the airbag or associated wires. I am planning on using an on-on switch, I don't think I would have use for both horns at once since the truck horn will be so much louder. Any suggestions on what type of relay I should use? Did you tap into the brown wire mentioned at the harness or did you just grab the wire running to the horn under the hood?

Thanks for all your help everyone! I will keep you all posted. I have to get the valve and finalize the wiring, then it should be finished hopefully by monday.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I used the horn wires "Both" for my app.
I did power to power & put ground to ground on the new and old horns, because mine were small and only require a small amount of volts for short bursts.
I use both together only, for an out of tone blast that seems to get more attention then just the standard nissan horn.

For you, you need to first have a relay that will give a or b output for new and old. That would be a Single Pole Double Throw Relay, this will by default set line 87a on, and allow you to run your switch, you only need a switch to be on/off, on will be 87

From that relay you run 87a & 87 to Single Pole Single Throw Relay's and use brown horn line from horn now to both Single Pole Single Throw Relay's (split brown horn line to both SPST relay's so which ever you have active from your SPDT relay will then send power to that horn.

check this guide to relay use.

Single Pole Double Throw (SPDT), Single Pole Single Throw (SPST) Automotive Relays

Special Applications with SPDT Relays, Diagrams

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
id personally tap in at the horn. a simply relay is all it will take. you might not even need one since an air solenoid valve draws very little current, but i ran a relay on mine just to be safe.

make sure you get a regulator as well. my grover sounds best at 40psi. any more and it gets squeaky and loses the stuttertone.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I used the horn wires "Both" for my app.
I did power to power & put ground to ground on the new and old horns, because mine were small and only require a small amount of volts for short bursts.
I use both together only, for an out of tone blast that seems to get more attention then just the standard nissan horn.

For you, you need to first have a relay that will give a or b output for new and old. That would be a Single Pole Double Throw Relay, this will by default set line 87a on, and allow you to run your switch, you only need a switch to be on/off, on will be 87

From that relay you run 87a & 87 to Single Pole Single Throw Relay's and use brown horn line from horn now to both Single Pole Single Throw Relay's (split brown horn line to both SPST relay's so which ever you have active from your SPDT relay will then send power to that horn.

check this guide to relay use.

Single Pole Double Throw (SPDT), Single Pole Single Throw (SPST) Automotive Relays

Special Applications with SPDT Relays, Diagrams
Thanks for the help, I was thinking about a relay but hadn't really made up my mind. It definately seems to be the way to go. The diagrams are very helpful, I appreciate it! I will let you know how it goes.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts