Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
How would you value a 2002 XE-V6 Frontier short-bed (automatic) with 4WD and 144,xxx miles? I took a brief look at it yesterday and it's in fairly good shape for a 7 year old, but it does have a scratch here and there and some light hail damage on the hood and roof. The fender flares are a little faded and its missing a wheel cap. I'm not too concerned about all the cosmetic stuff, I'll can live with the scratches and dents (it is a truck), although I would expect the price to reflect these things.

Anything specific I should check if/when I look at it more closely? I'm a little uncomfortable about the mileage. Should I be? I'm going in with the assumption that it won't have maintenance records. If this is true, if there any way to find out if any scheduled maintenance has been done. At this mileage, I would be most concerned with the timing belt.

At any rate, I'm sort of rambling now. I'll turn it over to the forum. Let me know if I need to clarify anything... and thanks. This board has already been very helpful.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Can't help you with the price. . . . too many variables. Timing belt should have been changed @ 105,000 miles. My friends and I have all had overheating problems. When you test drive it come back and let it idle with the air on for about ten minutes, then check the temp gauge. If it is running hot you could negotiate a much better price. Just a thought.

·
Registered
175 Posts
You probably already did this but there's always New Cars, Used Cars, Blue Book Prices & Car Values - Kelley Blue Book Plus (I'm not sure if I should do this) but I have an account with Carfax still running from a recent purchase, if you want me to run the VIN #. Send it to me thru pm or post it here with your email address and I'll send you the report.

·
Registered
578 Posts
i wouldn't be worried with a 144,000

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies. I should have mentioned that I did run it through Kelly Blue Book, and the dealer has it priced in line with what they show for dealer retail (around 10K). I also ran it through NADA and Edmunds. NADA is a bit higher (10.6K) and Edmunds is quite a bit lower (8.6K). IIRC, KBB is typically held as the standard, so I'm not surprised to see it priced where it is ($9,981 to be exact).

The thing that is confusing is that all these sites say something to the extent that dealer retail assumes 'excellent condition' and is a 'starting point for negotiation'. So, I would say that based on the things I mentioned above (scratches, hail damage, unknown maintenance), this truck would probably not qualify as excellent condition. However, I'm not sure how much these things should knock off the price.

razor11: thanks for the offer on the Carfax, but the dealer has it available on their website, so that won't be necessary. I looked it over and didn't see any glaring problems. I saw a few maintenance items, but nothing regarding the timing belt (not that I really expect to see all that info there).

Anyway, sorry to be so long-winded. I really appreciate the help on this.

·
Registered
770 Posts
So it's a little rough with a little higher mileage for it's age... I would book it and if the options arnt all there, then base those options with gut feeling of value or less there of... Far from that you could take if for a test drive with a video camera and record all, then post the video-that was a joke, unless you really wanted to?

Also depends on asking price and what you want outta the rig?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
With a 144,000 miles, it had to of had the timing belt replaced. Open the hood and check the engine bay, sometimes auto shops mark the miles or date when the belt was replaced.
That's a good tip. You know, I didn't even pop the hood when I looked at it yesterday. Kids and wife were sleeping in the car so I really couldn't do much more than look at it at the time. I was assuming I would be back to drive it that afternoon, but stuff came up and I couldn't get there. I'm hoping to get back there tomorrow and I'll definitely take a look under the hood.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Look and listen for cracked exhaust manifolds as well. Pre 2003's are know for it and with 144k they have either already been replaced or are cracked now, theres no doubt about that. If one or both are cracked get them to replace them before you buy. Nissan wants 600 dollars for ONE brand new one.

·
Registered
175 Posts
That's a good tip. You know, I didn't even pop the hood when I looked at it yesterday. Kids and wife were sleeping in the car so I really couldn't do much more than look at it at the time. I was assuming I would be back to drive it that afternoon, but stuff came up and I couldn't get there. I'm hoping to get back there tomorrow and I'll definitely take a look under the hood.
Be sure to look underneath for any oil leaks too.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I paid $7,750 for a loaded 2000 SE V6 4x4 about 7 weeks ago that looked pristine with 108,000, from a dealer. For the truck you're describing (XE, cosmetically blah), I would not pay more and probably less.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Yeah, look for any leaks, like the rear main seal, it will leak down onto the tranny bellhousing right next to the oil pan. Test the 4wd to ensure it engages properly, bothn HI and LOW. Check the CV boots to make sure they aren't ripped, check the valve cover gaskets for any leaks. Check the front rotors to make sure there are no grooves, so yeah, lots of visual things to look for, and I probably wouldn't pay more than $9k for it considering the mileage and the body condition.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Titanws6, I hope you don't mind my asking, but who's the "chick" in your avatar? (sorry about changing the subject)

·
Registered
412 Posts
Titanws6, I hope you don't mind my asking, but who's the "chick" in your avatar? (sorry about changing the subject)
I was done at the 12hrs at Sebring last year, she was one of the models for the P1 Mazda car, man what a hottie. Very cute and fun to talk to, and some really really nice legs! Hence the pic:)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts