Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read lots about what is said on this forum. So I ask wat is the overall best tuner/ programmer for a 2007 nissan frontier Nismo? My goal is to get better gas mileage overall. I have looked at the Uprev side of the house but I am not liking it to much as the ECU has to be sent in.

·
Registered
225 Posts
You’re going to get many different answers as to the best programmer but here is my plug: I have a CORTEX because it is easy to manage, has preset programs to choose and provides some nice gains. IF you want to further maximize any additional performance installed equipment by “tuning” your own program then go with UPREV or similiar. I personally don’t care to “tinker” around with my ECU in this manner and like the ability to “plug and go”.

·
Registered
16,551 Posts
for plug and play superchips is the way to go IMO but if your spending for better MPG its cheaper to just buy the gas.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
if you want a screen to look at then get the bully dog gt, if you just want to tune it then throw the tuner in a box get the superchips. the end results power wise is pretty much going to be the same.

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
For simple mpg, then superchips or BD. I believe BD has some kind of coach (vacuum gauge probably) that is susposed to help train you to get better mpg.

Both of the above are find even if you decide to install and intake and exhaust. Once you think about long tube headers or high flow cats or cams, then UpRev is your only option. You won't have to remove your ecu for this since you will be getting their middle or high end package that comes with software and pre-made tunes.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
sounds great thanks for the great advise. its just rough being up at 9000Ft in flagstaff,AZ it sucks the gas out of the truck. I been reading the average MPG and I always wondering if I am doing things wrong but I am pretty sure its b/c I am 9000ft up

oh last question where are good places to buy tuners? I seen people recommand parts and places to buy from.

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
Never trust the truck to calculate the mpg, do it yourself. Set the trip at full, run for x miles and refill to max. Do the miles traveled divided by the gallons used to get your true mpg.

9k up is going to make your truck work harder so that isn't helping either.

I am going to plug the site sponsors since they usually have pretty good deals but if not, then check ebay and summit and jegs and etc.... Heck, a site sponsor may be able to price match a competator if it is close enough.

·
Premium Member
1,769 Posts
To the OP, where do you live? You don't have to send the ECU in if you're close to an UpRev dealer. They can dyno tune the truck for you.

·
Registered
874 Posts
I have the Bully Dog, I travel a lot and for the economy it has helped, I played around with it when I first got it and it made a good amount of difference in terms of performance. I am happy with it. Haven't used the driving coach cause I am too lazy to go through the setup but out of the box it will let you know that you are driving to hard, stopping to fast, etc. I pay attention and drive like a grandpa and get better mileage.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I am actually selling my Bully Dog tuner (thread will be up shortly in the F/S section) I loved it! Only reason I am selling is because I sold my truck 4 months ago when my company gave me a car... I am looking for $350 neg... Check for my F/S thread...

·
Registered
51 Posts
Since you are in flagstaff you should just drive to phoenix and have it custom uprev tuned at Xact Dyno. It will take a few hours and custom tune to exactly how your truck runs. I actually called uprev and they told me I was way better off driving to a dealer so I drove a couple hours. The Xact Dyno is awesome too because it is a chassis dyno, it is $600 but well worth it, your whole power curve will smooth out. $300 of the $600 is for the uprev license fee, the rest pays for the dyno time and tune. Then in the future if you add any more mods you can go back and just pay like $200 for him to update your tune. Plus it programs through the cruise control so it is super easy to change tunes.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Im with Nismo11 all the way. I would think Uprev would be your best solution. The generic tunes from the handhelds won't do as much to help your altitude issues as much as a custom tune from Uprev would. The handhelds would only change your fuel map to a point, where as Uprev could properly tune your ECU for your high elevation.

And really, Uprev is more expensive the the others, but not unreal.
Uprev, my .02

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
I have to put it out there, I love my Hypertech. It made a huge difference in the trucks performance and also my enjoyment level driving it. You'll see that most brands of tuners have made their owners very happy, you just have to decide which one fits your needs.

·
Registered
880 Posts
I would have to agree with jski701. While my opinion is Uprev, the handhelds will be ok. The biggest difference you're gona notice is Wide Open Throttle, which all "tuners" give you. WOT still puts a huge grin on my face everytime I chomp on it outta the hole.

My mileage seemed to be freakish. I posted up on a thread a while back about mileage. I get 12.5 litres/100kms mixed driving. I used an online fuel mileage converter and it came up with something like 27-28mpgs. I couldn't believe I was getting that. I just redid the conversion on another web site and it came up a little different, 19 mpg. That seems a little more normal. Im also pretty sure my mileage may be suffering as im having problems getting my headers to not leak. ERRRRRR.

Hope any of this helped.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ya I am looking to upgrade my truck. I have been gone overseas for 15 months now and I want to come back and hook my truck up and I am just thinking of doing performance first then exterior. But when I drive in Flagstaff, AZ I get horrible gas mileage. So I was looking at a tuner, intake, exhaust, and w/e.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Hand helds are fine for the money, get some bang, some economy, cost is OK to deal with! A tuner, no matter what it is is going to make our frontier into a 370z (could have used a BMW (real car) to judge) without huge mods, and I ain't talking S/C, turbo, twin turbo, etc. You get a certain bang FOR YOUR BUCK out of a hand held, more out of Uprev, but don't set your goals very high with whatever you can afford or justify to spend unless you have 10s of thousands to spend on performance mods to make our trucks NOT compete with other vehicles in the same price range. When your Frontier is running 10's and getting 20mpg, you got a deal!

·
Premium Member
1,951 Posts
you should buy my superchips cortex i just posted in the parts section :) i love it just going a different direction

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
I'm just going to add this, which has already been discussed, most people who have a tuner will tell you that removing the throttle restriction is worth the price of the unit alone. You may still want more power, but some sort of programmer (whichever you choose) will give you a lot of bang for your money, at least to start with. There are several of them for sale from club members, or you may want to go new, but its definitely a good point to start from. It may be all you need.

Good luck, whichever way you go.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts