Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi New Member--'02 4 cyl Frontier XE RWD--

220K miles and the ride is all gone mushy. Want to upgrade all 4 shocks to restore ride, but am not knowledgeable about the options. Have looked at Rancho RS9000 ($114) Bilstein B6 Heavy Duty ($76) , and KYB Gas-a-just ($35)

I'm not up on technical details--gas monotube sounds good but what do I know? Soft ride is the major problem with truck right now--everything else working pretty well.

I would appreciate input from someone better informed than me!

Thanks,

Tombo

·
Registered
170 Posts
I put some cheap gabriels (Autozone) on my '01 and it felt like a huge difference on 10 year old stock shocks. Those Ranchos are probably overkill.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. Do you remember what model shocks? Single tube or double? Were they the Max Controls maybe? They are listed for $44 on autoanything

·
Registered
170 Posts
Single... I don't remember the model, but they were second tier instead of the cheap cheap ones. Rode pretty nice until I totalled the truck a year later.

·
Premium Member
5,729 Posts
I agree the Ranchos are overkill and I don't think much of Ranchos products. KYB makes a good shock for the money.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I put KYB shocks on my '91 BMW in high school, GREAT for the price!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Help with shock upgrade

Thanks Whistler--I'm trying to figure out how heavy a shock would be stiff enough--but not too stiff. Right now truck bounces all over the bumps on the highway

·
Premium Member
5,729 Posts
Does it continue to bounce after you hit a bump?
If it does then your shocks are just worn out.
KYB are a little stiffer than stock shocks if I remember right.

·
Premium Member
2,136 Posts
Monotube shocks are a better choice. If you're not planning on going crazy with a build have you looked at RockAuto? For inexpensive, Monroe has never let me down.

·
Premium Member
5,729 Posts
Monotube shocks are generally a lot firmer.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts