Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Going to be installing some new suspension components, radflo 2.0 coilovers in the front and radflo emulsions in the back, plus a deaver 2 leaf 2" inch add a leaf in the rear. I have not yet received the rear Radflo's and so I do not know the exact extended and compressed dimensions, but I am getting them from a buddy and he got the the ones PRG sells (for 1-3" lift).

My question is in regards to whether or not I will need a new longer bump stop for these shocks. I do not want to be bottoming the shocks out before hitting the stock bump stop. Anyone using the rear radflo emulsions from PRG and have the dimensions or using them on a similar rear lift setup? I have tried checking out the Radflo website but I am not sure of which model Greg at PRG uses. Thanks!

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
This is a quick and dirty way to see if your bumps stops are long enough. After putting in the aal, measure the distance to where the bump stop will be fully compressed. Measure the exposed shock shaft. If the shaft length is greater than the distance to the bump stop, you should be ok.You also have a bit more distance than the exposed shock shaft because of the angle correction factor.
If you want to do it the proper way, scroll through my build thread.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For sure, appreciate the tip. Once I actually get these new rears in my possession I can measure them and do all the math, but until then I can't find their actual dimensions to compare them to my rear Bils exc. Thanks again.

·
Registered
5,954 Posts
This is a quick and dirty way to see if your bumps stops are long enough. After putting in the aal, measure the distance to where the bump stop will be fully compressed. Measure the exposed shock shaft. If the shaft length is greater than the distance to the bump stop, you should be ok.You also have a bit more distance than the exposed shock shaft because of the angle correction factor.
If you want to do it the proper way, scroll through my build thread.
That is the quick and dirty.

The slow and clean way would be to remove all the leave except the longest one, then weight the bed till you sit on the bump.

I'd go with Whistlers method.

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
If your shocks bottom out before using all the travel your springs will allow,why use those shocks?
If that happens,you don't need extended bump stops.You need proper fitting shocks.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If your shocks bottom out before using all the travel your springs will allow,why use those shocks?
If that happens,you don't need extended bump stops.You need proper fitting shocks.
Very true. These are supposed to be one of the best shock for the frontier with a 1-3" lift and allow for proper down travel, so I am under the impression that they are in fact the right shock for my application, but as I said, I was just trying to ensure this and make sure there wasn't any other considerations while I wait for these to get to me. Thanks, I really appreciate the help.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So finally got the radflo coilovers and rear shocks in, ended up just ordering from Greg on PRG products because my buddy didn't come through. The rear shocks I received are the ones he markets for a 0-3" lift, yet when I measure them they are only 21.5" in extended length. My Bil's that are currently in the truck are 21.65" in length, yet Greg says on his website that those are only good for a 0-1.5" lift. So I called Greg and he says "The stock shocks are only 20.5" in length, so those are the ones you want". I guess I don't understand how the Bilsteins 5100's can be 21.65" in length and only be good for a 0-1.5/2" lift, but the Radflo's can be 21.5" in length and be good for a 0-3" lift.

Anyone able to weigh in? I will be calling Radflo on Monday to see if they can clarify.

·
Registered
5,186 Posts

What is the compressed length of the shocks?Are they the same?
Same thing. Measure the distance to where the bump stop would be fully compressed. If your shock shaft length is greater than the bump distance than your ok.
Jack up the rear of the truck till rear tires are off the ground.Set on jack stands.See if your shocks are fully extended(you could put a jack.between the frame and the leaf pack to be sure the springs are fully extended).
If your shocks are not fully extended,than they are good.

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
Or you could do it like this.This is the proper way.
Just noticed, extended length photo shows hydro bump before I refilled with nitrogen.

Attachments

Reactions: tidinnc

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the replies Whistler. Yeah I just find it very odd that these Radflo's that I received are pretty much the exact same dimensions extended and compressed as the Bilstein 5100 rear shocks (21.5"/13.8", which are only good for about 1-1.5" of lift) yet are advertised as being good for a 3" lift. I will measure here shortly when I have a little time during daylight hours and see.

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
Well I think I figured it out.
The Bilstein 5100 part# 187060 extended length-20.65" compressed length-12.810

Bilstein 5100 part# 187152 extended length
21.650. collapsed length 13.840

The ones on your truck is the extended length shocks for a Frontier.
The ones Greg sells are for an Xterra, They are 20.65 shocks.

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
The Bilsteins were probably not the shocks that originally came with the truck.
The ones on there would have worked with your set-up.Don't think you gain much with the Radflo emulsion.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, as an update I did finally get everything installed and the lift looks great but I am not hugely pleased with the Radflo products as of yet. The rear shocks ended being too short, and with my 2" lift (2 leaf deaver AAL) in the rear I only had about 1-1.5 inches of down travel, so I called Greg and this time he told me that yeah the 21.5" length ones were not right, so I am sending them back.

The front coilovers have definitely improved handling and given the front a lift while not harming the ride, but man, as a daily driver the clunks and clanks of these things are going to drive me nuts. I have already taken the front apart trying to see why they clunk so much, checked sway bar bushings, tightened everything to torque and re-tightened exc. but they continue to clank and clunk. May just be the nature of the beast according to all the online threads about their noise, so I will see how they do offroad and if that outweighs their annoyance as a daily driver. Thanks again.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Well, as an update I did finally get everything installed and the lift looks great but I am not hugely pleased with the Radflo products as of yet. The rear shocks ended being too short, and with my 2" lift (2 leaf deaver AAL) in the rear I only had about 1-1.5 inches of down travel, so I called Greg and this time he told me that yeah the 21.5" length ones were not right, so I am sending them back.

The front coilovers have definitely improved handling and given the front a lift while not harming the ride, but man, as a daily driver the clunks and clanks of these things are going to drive me nuts. I have already taken the front apart trying to see why they clunk so much, checked sway bar bushings, tightened everything to torque and re-tightened exc. but they continue to clank and clunk. May just be the nature of the beast according to all the online threads about their noise, so I will see how they do offroad and if that outweighs their annoyance as a daily driver. Thanks again.
This should help you with the clunk.
http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread.php?t=128073

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
I don't use Radflo shocks but I do use their bump stops(they are shorter than others).Had no problem with them.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
This should help you with the clunk.
The Radflo Clunk - How I Fixed It - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
Already tried it. No difference. Took the shocks out, made sure everything was tight, put in the M14 non tapered bolts exc. Still have the clunk. It's tolerable-ish when just driving on the streets, but take the thing out in the desert and these puppies sound like there is dwarf under there with a wrench. Worse on the right, but still very noticeable on the left out in the desert.

They may ride better than my Bils but due to the harsh noise it really affects my perception of the ride. They are only set for about a 1.5" lift in the front. I am sitting at around 36 3/8" from ground to front fender with 265/75-16's for tires and the noise I am hearing is not coil bucket contact. I greased the contact point on the coil bucket and it was untouched after an hour of banging around the desert. I'll give them a little time as I stated before but I may end up just going back to my Bils or selling/returning the radflos and just getting something simpler like the OME setup. Thanks for all the help and suggestions.

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
That sucks.Never thought much of Radflo. They are a second tier shock in my opinion.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts