Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,
So I got a pair of Hella 500's to put on my truck. I followed the instructions that came with the lights but the lights wont turn on.

Before I get into details, I know my way around a vehicle and have done some electrical stuff before like install a sub or hard wire radar detector or install gauges but overall I'd say I'm still very new.

So here's the wiring diagram of how everything is wired up.

Here's whats happening. After is everything is plugged in and the power is connected, when I flip the switch, the lights dont turn on.

Here's what I know:
  • Used a multimeter to ensure the red wire is indeed "hot" and bringing in power.
  • Verified that the ground is working, nothing is obstructing it.
  • I bought a new relay to ensure that the relay that came with the lights wasnt bad. No luck with either.
  • No fuses are blown.

What I dont know:
  • I dont know how to test the black wire off the relay (power for lights). I cant figure out how to set up the multi-meter to get an accurate reading. I keep getting 0's when I try.
  • Dont know if the switch is bad, dont know how to test it either.
  • Dont know if I need to "ground" the switch after connecting yellow wire to it even though I dont plan to have it light up yet.

Picture 1 of Relay's
http://i.imgur.com/xOPhFEn.jpg

Picture 2 of Relay's
http://i.imgur.com/jWOkahT.jpg

Picture of Switch
http://i.imgur.com/9G19nfo.jpg
According to the instructions, the middle prong connects to the yellow wire on the diagram. The other two are power and ground to make the switch light up.

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
Step one-get a test light (It's a whole lot easier than a multimeter. You can also test for DC Volts on your multimeter, you should see around 13 on your battery if it's set up right)

Step two-test your power going to your switch, coming off your switch, your power going from your battery to the relay, and the power going from the relay to the lights.

(Check voltage turned off, check it again turned on)

You can just unhook wires from the relay to test for voltage. You really should test the lights too, just run wires straight to the battery and make sure they work.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Hello everyone,
So I got a pair of Hella 500's to put on my truck. I followed the instructions that came with the lights but the lights wont turn on.

Before I get into details, I know my way around a vehicle and have done some electrical stuff before like install a sub or hard wire radar detector or install gauges but overall I'd say I'm still very new.

So here's the wiring diagram of how everything is wired up.

Here's whats happening. After is everything is plugged in and the power is connected, when I flip the switch, the lights dont turn on.

Here's what I know:
  • Used a multimeter to ensure the red wire is indeed "hot" and bringing in power.
  • Verified that the ground is working, nothing is obstructing it.
  • I bought a new relay to ensure that the relay that came with the lights wasnt bad. No luck with either.
  • No fuses are blown.

What I dont know:
  • I dont know how to test the black wire off the relay (power for lights). I cant figure out how to set up the multi-meter to get an accurate reading. I keep getting 0's when I try.
  • Dont know if the switch is bad, dont know how to test it either.
  • Dont know if I need to "ground" the switch after connecting yellow wire to it even though I dont plan to have it light up yet.

Picture 1 of Relay's
http://i.imgur.com/xOPhFEn.jpg

Picture 2 of Relay's
http://i.imgur.com/jWOkahT.jpg

Picture of Switch
http://i.imgur.com/9G19nfo.jpg
According to the instructions, the middle prong connects to the yellow wire on the diagram. The other two are power and ground to make the switch light up.
First of all i can see the 2 relays are different. One is simply a NO/4pin, the other is a 5pin. Which one are you trying to use? Are you using a wiring harness that came with the lights, or are you trying to customize it like I did? Your diagram looks good to me, although I'm not an expert tbh.

When you flip the switch, do you hear the relay make a clicking noise? That usually is the sound of it working when you turn it on. If you're bringing the power for the switch from your fuse box, maybe try running a wire straight from your battery, see if that works. It would help to get a visual of what you're working with also.

Another thing that I had an issue with on one of my wires, is that the female spade connector for one of the relay plugs was spliced wrong. The wire wasn't stripped prior to having the spade connector crimped on. I swapped out the relay with 4 others before I decided to check the actual connector. With the relay plugged in, check the continuity in the wires leading into 85, and 86 while its in the socket. Check the continuity of the actual lights too. Anytime you have to connect something, test it to make sure the circuit isn't broken by that one part.

Start from the top and work your way in a sequence. Switch leads to the fuse, fuse to the relay... Just follow the path in the order that the system has to work. Have it all set up, and then see if 85, and 86 are closed. If they are, then go to the next part of the circuit. And so forth, work your way in order.

Prior to investing in my light bars, I bought a bunch or random switches, lights, relays, SPST, SPDT, DPDT, and every other kind I could find. I rigged them in every creative way I could, just to get a better mental picture of what each component does when you put it all together. Not that you need to do that, but its just how I learn better. There was a bit of trial and error for me, and I've hit a few kinks while working on a relay box that will operate some flush mounted lights on my rear bumper (more on that in the next few weeks), but if you work methodically, you should be able to find the fault.

Hopefully that helped, and if you need, feel free to message me.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I powered the switch this morning too and still no luck. I've gone over the connections multiple times with the multimeter and anywhere i can get power I'm getting it. The relay that the kit came with wont make any clicking noises. the other one is the one i'm trying to use now but before I do i need to unclip the 4 wires form the block that came with them to connect them to the right pins. i've double checked all the grounds and they all work. This is getting a little frustrating.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Finally got them working. Turns out the polarity on the switch was reversed. The power was ground and ground was power. Had I figured that out sooner I'd have been done much earlier. Anyway, good learning experience that dont overlook the obvious. but they finally light up and work.

Time to pic-whore a little bit.

Got them aligned the best I could in relation to my low beams since I plan to use these as driving lights in addition to the headlights to make up for the woefully inadequate headlights our trucks come with. Cant wait to test drive and check out how they do tonight.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Initially I hadnt powered switch, assuming the switch didnt need to be powered. As soon as I did and turned it on the fuse popped and that gave it away that the polarity on the switch and Hella's diagram didnt match. All good now. These lights are bright, cant use them all the time cuz they are brighter and cover more than my high beams do so will have to save them for the really dark empty roads.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts