Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I'm new here but not new to working on cars/trucks, but I'm stumped on this one.

(THIS IS NOT THE CLICKING NOISE THAT IS WELL DOCUMENTED ON THIS FORUM)

I have 2005 Nismo CC 4x4 with 114,000mi. Yesterday it started making a terrible whirring/whining noise while driving. At first I thought it was coming from the speakers, (I recently installed an aftermarket stereo) but after unplugging the speakers, the sound persisted.

I removed both glove boxes to see if I could hone in on exactly where the noise was coming from, but it only happens when the truck is in motion, so it was still hard to pin point. It seems to be coming from directly above the blower motor, behind the airbag. I know that doesn't seem to make sense, but I haven't had been able to take anyone with me in the car to help me pin point it (I may need more friends.

I then thought it could be the blower motor, but changing fan speed has no effect. The noise comes and goes as it pleases, for no apparent rhyme or reason.

I thought it might be a motor controlling which vents air come out of, but switching settings again had no effect. Nor did changing temperature setting.

Like I said before, it doesn't make the noise when the car isn't moving. It does not change in volume or pitch based on rpm. In fact, if anything, it seems to decrease at higher speeds. It seems to be the loudest when under 40 mph.

I'm out of guesses, and hope someone else here has figured this out already. I don't mind taking it to a mechanic, but I have a 220 mile round trip for work Monday morning, and if I have to listen to this noise the whole time, I might lose my mind.

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

John

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
OK, so I don't know if anyone is paying much attention to this thread but I had to share.

Problem solved. It turns out the noise was coming from my wife!

While cleaning out our son's playroom, she found a Dusty Crophopper antenna topper with a spinning propeller that had been buried in a toy box for a couple years, and thought it would be funny to put it on my truck.

I don't know how it was harmonizing so loud in the truck. It must have been on there just right to send some kind of crazy vibration down the antenna. It was loud!

Anyway problem solved, wife's fault, carry on.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Just remember , never laugh at your wife's choices. you were one of them. lol

·
Registered
397 Posts
Just remember , never laugh at your wife's choices. you were one of them. lol
...FFTR, you must be "the wife":surprise:::grin:::surprise:

·
Premium Member
1,913 Posts
OK, so I don't know if anyone is paying much attention to this thread but I had to share.

Problem solved. It turns out the noise was coming from my wife!

While cleaning out our son's playroom, she found a Dusty Crophopper antenna topper with a spinning propeller that had been buried in a toy box for a couple years, and thought it would be funny to put it on my truck.

I don't know how it was harmonizing so loud in the truck. It must have been on there just right to send some kind of crazy vibration down the antenna. It was loud!

Anyway problem solved, wife's fault, carry on.

OMG I WAS DYING!!!! and I can relate. I bought a fiberglass antenna to replace my oem radio antenna. It looks like a CB 2' antenna. Pulls in distant stations great, but can't take a hit from a branch (bends the stud) Over 40mph it buzzes & howls. Took me 2 days to realize what was causing it. Now I only use it for long drives.

You sure your wife wasn't pranking you?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts