Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know nothing about car stereos. Basically I want a new deck for the aux output for my new Droid phone I just got. Wanting to spend around $100 bucks and dont have a clue of what the best bang for the buck is. Anyone have any imput?

·
Registered
210 Posts
Crutchfield.com

IMO, get a USB plugin rather than a Aux. The Aux uses your tiny device's amp, which gives crappy sound when coming out of car speakers distorted by road noise.

Get a double din unit that has Bluetooth handsfree calling (assuming you need this because you got a smartphone), rear USB plug in (you can route it to the factory AUX jack slot), and the capablity to expand to HD radio, XM, and SAT in the future.

Look for usability and having the functions you want and then find unit and read what other people say about them.

Ignore RMS power (manufacturers market it for higher than it is and CNES rests validate the power, but they all sound very similar). In general the top quality brands: Pioneer is smooth sounding, Alpine is more crispy, and Kenwood has more mid range.

All of them ($200+ units) sound similar and better sound quality takes new speakers and an amp.

Don't amp stock speakers, which aren't that bad.

·
Registered
5,939 Posts
Crutchfield.com

IMO, get a USB plugin rather than a Aux. The Aux uses your tiny device's amp, which gives crappy sound when coming out of car speakers distorted by road noise.

Get a double din unit that has Bluetooth handsfree calling (assuming you need this because you got a smartphone), rear USB plug in (you can route it to the factory AUX jack slot), and the capablity to expand to HD radio, XM, and SAT in the future.

Look for usability and having the functions you want and then find unit and read what other people say about them.

Ignore RMS power (manufacturers market it for higher than it is and CNES rests validate the power, but they all sound very similar). In general the top quality brands: Pioneer is smooth sounding, Alpine is more crispy, and Kenwood has more mid range.

All of them ($200+ units) sound similar and better sound quality takes new speakers and an amp.

Don't amp stock speakers, which aren't that bad.
guess you missed the part about him only wanting to spend around $100. LOL.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
ya kind of only want to spend $100. What im looking at is using the PAC for adding AUX to the stock stereo or buying a stereo that already has this. I was hoping there was a clean "this stereo is the best of around $100" but I guess its all up the the options I need or want.

O ya and whats double din?

·
Registered
5,939 Posts
$100 is way low for a good head unit. plus, you will still need an adapter harness as well as the mounting kit. jump up to $150 and you have options but i dont see a decent good deck for only a C note.

double din is the size of the radio. single din is(well, was) the standard radio size for years. now double din seems to be the new "standard size". our decks are double din. oh, and to make things even more confusing, chryster uses 1.5 din, whis is really a PITA.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts