Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after numerous efforts on my end to get my new roof and bumper lights wired up (via aux fuse box) I am just getting more pissed off and more behind schedule. I thought I had it, examined every relay and fuse box diagram I could find, yada yada yada... I have everything just about laid out but the connections are throwing me for a loop.

I think the main problem I am having is the PIAA relay boxes, all these wires that I am not planning on using their switch with. Then the whole ordeal with having to run my OTRATTW rockers to a power supply (fuse box)...

So, if anyone is nearby to Richmond, VA and knows what they're doing w/ electrical crap please... help a brotha out! I can pay in pizza, beer, cash, whatever.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
couldnt you just get an inline fuse if your not going to use the PIAA switch anyway?
I want to run everything through my auxiliary fuse box - will run the fuses there. Although I am beginning to hate myself for ever considering this thing - I know it's the "better" solution so you don't have a million wires running to your battery terminal, but man is it making my life complicated.

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
all these wires that I am not planning on using their switch with

How many wires are we talking and what colors are they?

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
all these wires that I am not planning on using their switch with

How many wires are we talking and what colors are they?
Just pos and neg wires. PIAA has pos = white and neg = black. I am merging everything to be pos = red and neg = black.

But PIAA (along my LightForce 240 Blitz bumper lights) has that extra pos wire that is supposed to be tied in to your high beams, so the lights only come on when you headlights' high beams are on, but always bypass those and connect it along w/ the main power line so they come on w/ just the switch.

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
ok correct me if im wrong.
you will using a toggle type switch to turn them on and off and not the light switch on the stalk.If so you can tap a always hot wire under the dash with a inline fuse.or if you have more then 1 12v accessory spots like some frontiers (I have 3) 2 on the dash and 1 in the center console use 1 of those.I think I have 1 always hot and the other 2 come on only when the keys on

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
It sounds to me like you actually grasp what you are doing and how to do it, what is causing the issue beyond the "extra" wires? Since you are doing a bypass to make them work switch only, you would simply put the "extra" wires in with your "+" wires.

So, it should go:

+Battery -______
|invisible invisible|
Switch invisible i |
|invisible invisible|
+ Light -_______|
| |invisible
|_"Extra wire"

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
How many lights total?

How many wires/light?

How many relays?

How many wires/relay?

Standard rocker switch?

Could probably sketch something a bit better out with this info.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Four front roof lights at 85W (running 10 AWG wires), two rear roof lights at 55W (running 12 AWG wires), and two front bumper lights at 55W (just running wiring that came w/ them since they reach from the bumper to my aux fuse box under the hood and to my rocker switch in the cabin). Four relays total. NOT standard rocker switches, they are the dual-illuminated Contura rockers from www.OTRATTW.com.

I will be running all four front roof lights to ONE switch, the two rear roof lights on one switch, and the front bumper lights on once switch.

I think what I really need to do is scrap the PIAA relay/fuse box thing and just get a regular relay to wire up. That way I know for sure what wires are going from where to where and it will take up a lot less room.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Ok, so, we've got:
4 lights --> 1 switch
2 lights --> 1 switch
2 lights --> 1 switch

Can you explain the relay/fuse box more and I will work something up for you?

Also, are there two leads or three coming from the lights?

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Ok, so, we've got:
4 lights --> 1 switch
2 lights --> 1 switch
2 lights --> 1 switch

Can you explain the relay/fuse box more and I will work something up for you?

Also, are there two leads or three coming from the lights?
I am gonna scrap the PIAA relay/fuse box and just re-run the wires to a standard relay and then the fuse through the aux fuse box.

And they all have three leads coming out of them for power; one for each light and then one for that high-beam override.

Here is how PIAA says to wire them up if going to the battery - http://www.piaa.com/Lamps/install/520.pdf

So in my case I will be running all of the main power wires to the aux fuse box, have the fuses in-line there, and then the one power wire from that box to the battery.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
1 - 14 of 14 Posts