Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So as i was lifting my truck and got to the driver side upper ball joint I was hammering the spindle to break apart the control arm I hit my ball joint thread and it ended up cross threading :serious: I'm thinking of either tap and dying the thread to save the ball joint or purchasing a new one
What do you think?

If I do purchase a new ball join anyone have an idea of how to replace it manually without having to use a press?

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
Take your arm to a parts house that does machine work. They will likely be able to install it, for a nominal fee of course.
Good luck.

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
If there's room to get at it, I'd try a thread die on it to clean up the threads. And likely get a new nut too.

·
Premium Member
3,880 Posts
If you can't save the thread, it will be much easier to replace the whole control arm. The whole assembly is not much more than a new balljoint. Depending on the mileage it may not be a bad idea to replace both of them anyway. A quick search on RockAuto show you can get a new joint for about $20 but then you would still need to install it or a whole new uca with new bushing and balljoint installed ready to go for about $45. If you want to install a new joint, just rent a ball joint press from Autozone or Orielys. Its usually a $50-100 deposit, but you get it back when you return the tool. Although its kind of a pain in ***, changing the whole arm would be much easier. You could also ask around on here and buy a used set of arms, they typically go for very cheap ($25 or so). To avoid this headache next time pick up one of these from Harbor Freight for less than $20: Tie Rod and Pitman Arm Puller
It makes quick work of undoing the upper ball joint form the spindle without beating the crap out of it. Good luck!

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
If there are enough miles on it, the ball joint will likely spin in the socket if you try retreading
it. If you have to buy a joint and have it installed, but an arm.
Good luck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts