Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone!

I'm new here and was hoping to stay a member of this tribe, but I'm a little freaked out! I'm in the middle of an extended 2 day test drive of a 2017 SV V6 and after driving only about 50 miles, a quarter of the gas tank was used up! Is 10 mpg what I can expect from this vehicle?? Without even towing?

My intention in buying this truck is to be able to tow a Casita or other small travel trailer on a long term grand adventure. I'm used to driving a Honda Civic and getting 30 mpg on average... I never think about what I pay for gas, but this situation has me panicky about what I'm getting myself into. I was hoping for 15-21 mpg without towing, like the literature says.

Am I driving it wrong? Otherwise I really like it. :) Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
5,190 Posts
You are just guessing the mileage. The only way to know for sure is figure mileage correctly.
I am sure it is better than 10 mpg.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I know it's not really possible on an extended test drive, but the correct way to check mileage is to fill the tank and note the mileage. Then drive normally for a day or two (or ideally until it needs a fill again). Then, fill the tank using the same pump, note the mileage and gallons used. Then subtract the starting miles from the ending miles, divide that number by the gallons pumped. That will give you your true mpg.

I drive a 4 cylinder, but I know that the 6's do better than 10mpg without towing. Also, engines usually get better mileage after their break-in period, 5K or so miles down the road, than they do when they're new and everything is still very tight.

Good luck and hope you join to stay.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know it's not really possible on an extended test drive, but the correct way to check mileage is to fill the tank and note the mileage. Then drive normally for a day or two (or ideally until it needs a fill again). Then, fill the tank using the same pump, note the mileage and gallons used. Then subtract the starting miles from the ending miles, divide that number by the gallons pumped. That will give you your true mpg.

I drive a 4 cylinder, but I know that the 6's do better than 10mpg without towing. Also, engines usually get better mileage after their break-in period, 5K or so miles down the road, than they do when they're new and everything is still very tight.

Good luck and hope you join to stay.
Thanks for your thoughtful answer... my logical mind totally knows how to calculate mpg, but my fearful mind was just panicking. I'm gonna fill up the tank today and see if I can do better. Just trying to embrace the cost of fuel being part of my considerations in my daily life. And thanks for explaining about the the break-in period.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I have had my 2017 4x4 Frontier since February, have driven 6020 miles and used 345.79 gallons of gas, 17.4 miles per gallon average. This past week I towed a small trailer 200 miles, I got 13.9 miles per gallon.

·
Premium Member
5,877 Posts
Hi Everyone!

I'm new here and was hoping to stay a member of this tribe, but I'm a little freaked out! I'm in the middle of an extended 2 day test drive of a 2017 SV V6 and after driving only about 50 miles, a quarter of the gas tank was used up! Is 10 mpg what I can expect from this vehicle?? Without even towing?

My intention in buying this truck is to be able to tow a Casita or other small travel trailer on a long term grand adventure. I'm used to driving a Honda Civic and getting 30 mpg on average... I never think about what I pay for gas, but this situation has me panicky about what I'm getting myself into. I was hoping for 15-21 mpg without towing, like the literature says.

Am I driving it wrong? Otherwise I really like it. :) Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!
If you want 30mpg, stick to your Civic - a Frontier is not a Civic ::wink::

I average about 18-22mpg in my 2014 SV V6 4x4. Mileage varies based on how you drive... don't rely on the fuel gauge to make accurate mileage calculations.

·
Registered
5,999 Posts
The first 1/4 of the tank based on the gauge is not a 1/4 of the actual volume of the tank.

I get 16-20 mpg on my truck.

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
The engine hasn't (unless it has more than 1200 miles on it) gone through its break in period. Unless you were the one that filled the tank, you don't know if it was 100% full. It's a truck. It's a truck that is still using 2005 technology, as very little has changed since the current version was introduced in 2005.

Again, it's a truck. You will NOT see Civic like mpg's from ANY truck, from an outdated truck like the Frontier, to any mid-size truck released in the last couple of years. My truck is a 2010 crew cab long bed 4X2 V6. I bought it new and it only has 35k on it. On the interstate at 65mph, I can get 25mpg+/-. In town and an overall average, I have no idea, it's a truck and I don't care.

Obviously with my trucks age and low miles, it's not my only vehicle. I also have a 2007 4dr. Chevy Cobalt with a 2.2l and an auto trans. Bought it almost three years ago with 85k on it. Currently has 128k. On the highway I can get 40mpg+/-. In town, I don't care.

Don't know anything about your Civic. But if it's paid for and in good shape, keep it to use as your daily driver.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone!!! So much helpful information :urock: ...my logical mind totally knows how to calculate mpg, but my fearful mind was just panicking. Been driving it for another day and it's kinda growing on me. I'm not 100% sure yet about this particular vehicle, but I'm doing my best to embrace the reality of exchanging fuel efficiency for the power I need to tow a small travel trailer and move into the adventure and mystery that awaits me!! ::grin::

·
Registered
71 Posts
When I fill up, the fuel gauge is above the full mark. I usually get about 30-40 miles before it even moves. Then around 50 miles it barely dips below the full mark. So maybe the dealership didn't top it off all the way?

On my 2010 SL I usually got 18-19 MPG if I babied it and with my 2016 Pro-4X I only get around 16 MPG but it's all city driving and it still has 3,500 miles on the odometer. I suspect it will get a little better after fully broken in and if I do a lot of highway driving.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have 2015 Pro 4x cc sb with a leer cap and a big Thule box on the rack. I Just did a round trip to Ottawa today 150 miles x 2 at 70 mph. One way I had 1/2 ton load average 18mpg/US
Empty on the way back 17mpg. I wonder what a civic's average with 1/2 ton load :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oups! 17mpg loaded 18mpg empty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts