Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So, currently I'm running the Bilstein 5100 Adjustable Kit, with PRG 1.5" blocks in the rear.
The Bilstein Fronts are maxed out at the 2" level with their supplied adjustable collar.
The ride quality is OK but the truck hits hard on bumps and drop offs in the road as if the suspension is dead.
Feel as if the shocks/ springs doesn't have time to rebound or absorb the impact.
My mechanic and I made sure everything was installed correctly.
We followed the post on the forum here also in regards to the install and tips.
Been riding on it for a couple thousand miles now and looking for a better solution/ set up.
** Gonna have my mechanic check my tie rods also in case there's a problem with that.

Do you think dropping the adjustable collar back down to standard height and adding leveling spacers instead would help?

I don't really need anything higher than a level kit.
I don't do any off-roading.

Any suggestions would greatly be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
3,880 Posts
Drop the perch down to the 1"-1.5" mark and add a small spacer to the top to get your 2".

Frontier 5100s don't like a lot of preload on the spring, the rebound valving is very light and causes them to top out often as a result.

·
Registered
190 Posts
For sure. Bringing it down to about 1.5 will make the difference. I've got mine on 2". I feel everything but wanted the quick simple route. The only bad thing is to lower them you have to have the whole shock disassembled. That was the hardest part of getting my whole mess done. Had to pay the stealership $50 to do it. The AutoZone compressor didn't have enough juice. Otherwise I'd be doing the exact same thing you are doing. I too have 1.5" blocks in rear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Question regarding the 5100/spacer combo as I was originally prepping to install the same setup as the OP (5100's @ 2" with 1.5" block in rear). I also want to avoid the rough ride others have experienced when maxing the 5100's out to 2" so may try and supplement part of the lift with spacer. The goal is to have 2" lift on front, so is there any pros/cons to using more spacer and less bilstein adjustment/lift? Or vice versa?

If the issue is with the bilsteins over compressing the springs, then I'm inclined to shift more of the lift to the spacer. However, is there more likelihood of CBC when shifting more of the lift to spacer? At this point I'm thinking that splitting the lift 1" bilstein + 1" spacer may be the best combo. Thoughts?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,880 Posts
^Yes to higher CBC chance with a bigger spacer. You also loose a small amount of up travel with a bigger spacer. Nothing wrong with a 1" + 1" combo but just know that you'll need to press longer studs into the tophat for the 1" spacer to work. .5" spacer does not require longer studs and a 1.5" spacer is the shortest possible for the bolt on variety.

It is because of those reasons that the .5" spacer method is one of the more popular options.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts