Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I bought an after market stereo, hooked it up, sounds like garbage, I posted a forum addressing this issue, I read into it and bought new speakers. Still sounds like garbage. (The stereo can go up to 60 on the volume but sounds distorted after 32, and just gets worse the louder you go.) is it my stereo? Or do I need an amp? I just called crutchfield and they said probably an amp, I guess maybe my stereo isn’t putting out enough power for the original stock speakers AND new pioneer speakers. What should I do it is turning into a bottomless money pit and it’s really annoying

·
Premium Member
6,895 Posts
For clarity restate the actual stereo model and speaker models you installed, where you installed, what is still stock, etc.

·
Registered
33 Posts
really want to help here, but I believe we will need a bit more information on the specifics.
which head unit - who did the install - what harness - which speakers were switched - as much detail as you can put. it could be an issue with any one or number of situations. also what does "sound like garbage" mean? distorted? not a clear sound stage?
again - wanna help, just need more info

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Stereo - pioneer mvh-s21bt
Front door speakers - pioneer TS-A1680F
Rear door speakers - pioneer TS-A6960F
Dashboard speakers - pioneer TS-A300TW

I did the installation, triple checked EVERYTHING, did probably hours of research on color coordination of the stock wires, and called pioneer for their colors, and hardwired it and shrink wrapped it. And with the sound it’s like, after 32 heavier/louder “bumps” of sound get static and if I go to like 38 it’s just all distortion (like a tv on the wrong channel and all you see is the static kinda sound)

·
Premium Member
6,895 Posts
Stereo - pioneer mvh-s21bt
Front door speakers - pioneer TS-A1680F
Rear door speakers - pioneer TS-A6960F
Dashboard speakers - pioneer TS-A300TW

I did the installation, triple checked EVERYTHING, did probably hours of research on color coordination of the stock wires, and called pioneer for their colors, and hardwired it and shrink wrapped it. And with the sound it’s like, after 32 heavier/louder “bumps” of sound get static and if I go to like 38 it’s just all distortion (like a tv on the wrong channel and all you see is the static kinda sound)
I think I know why.

From your equipment setup, it sounds like you're clipping the built-in amp... that head unit is super basic (can't be built too stout if it only has a street price around $55) and the MVH-S21BT specs out at only 14w RMS x 4 @ 4-ohms only. Your speakers are rated as follows:

TS-A1680F is rated at 80w RMS
TS-A6960F is rated at 90w RMS
TS-A300TW is rated at 100w RMS

More importantly (and what I suspect is causing the issue) is that you are also running a pair of high power speakers in parallel to each of the front channels. Two speakers in parallel = 2-ohm load. I'm going to make a safe guess that your $55 head unit (which isn't designed to run with 2-ohm loads) is distorting because you're trying to power a pair of 80-100w speakers wired parallel with an underpowered 14w RMS @4 ohm built-in amp .

It's not a money pit - you're just not getting the right equipment.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think I know why.

From your equipment setup, it sounds like you're clipping the built-in amp... that head unit is super basic (can't be built too stout if it only has a street price around $55) and the MVH-S21BT specs out at only 14w RMS x 4 @ 4-ohms only. Your speakers are rated as follows:

TS-A1680F is rated at 80w RMS
TS-A6960F is rated at 90w RMS
TS-A300TW is rated at 100w RMS

More importantly (and what I suspect is causing the issue) is that you are also running a pair of high power speakers in parallel to each of the front channels. Two speakers in parallel = 2-ohm load. I'm going to make a safe guess that your $55 head unit (which isn't designed to run with 2-ohm loads) is distorting because you're trying to power a pair of 80-100w speakers wired parallel with an underpowered 14w RMS @4 ohm built-in amp .

It's not a money pit - you're just not getting the right equipment.
Alright, thanks for pointing that info out to me, what should I do now? Any recommendations on what I need to put into the truck? Is it a new stereo that I need or an amplifier?

·
Premium Member
6,895 Posts
Well you can do either:

• get a better head unit that can push around 50wx4 RMS, or
  • add a 4-channel amp around 75wx4 RMS that can go down to 2-ohms per channel

1 - 7 of 7 Posts