Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
The 2001 Factory Service Manual says it's Thermostat Function - that the thermostat is stuck closed.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Thermostat

Are you leaking or can you smell coolant near the thermostat? If I were you I would just change it out for the cost of one. Make sure you do the gasket as well. Good luck

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Could it be the temp sensor. What sensor would know that the thermostat is open or closed when it's not suppose to be?

Cause a closed thermostat would cause the engine to overheat and you don't get a light for that? You have a gauge.

scratching my head. I should look this up.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I mis-read the FSM - thermostat stuck open.

What sensor would know that the thermostat is open or closed when it's not suppose to be?
From the FSM -

Malfunction is detected when the engine coolant temperature does not reach the specified temperature even though the engine has run long enough.

This is due to a leak in the seal or the thermosat stuck open.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
How many miles on the coolant and thermostat?

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Coolant is new, thermostat no clue.

20 degrees F this morning. Truck warmed up to normal temp (just about 1/2 way on temp gauge) within about 3-4 miles. That seems normal to me and that the thermostat is working, no?

I'm gonna see if I can bum a garage space to change out the thermostat soon. Do you think it may be the sensor instead?

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Could be the sensor but if you are not sure about the age of the thermostat you should get it changed. Nissan recommends changing it when change your timing belt which is at 105,000 miles. Thermostat is a cheap change for first check.

Your needle seems to be correct but it still could be open a bit.

Get some high temp RTV seal as there is no gasket. At least on my 2003 it's that way. The RTV seal stuff is awsome.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Off the top of my head I'm not sure the thermostatic setting. I thought mine was a 185. I bought it at courtsey Nissan when i purchased a bunch of other stuff. It was like 9-10.00 bucks.

It's fairly easy. Just make sure you remove all the old sealant and apply just enough sealant in it's place. I believe you have to take some belts off to get to it and drain the coolant. When adding coolant make sure the bleeder valve on top the engine is open (it's a little bolt)

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
You do not have to drain it all out. Just down to the point where it stops spilling out the goose neck. Just put fresh in.

Call the dealer see if they already changed it. If they did not change it I doubt they changed the water pump too which is also needed at 105,000

1 - 20 of 20 Posts