Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Ererybody,
I've done some searching, but excuse me if this has already been covered.
I purchased a used 2014 SV 4x4r Frontier with 80k back in March. Really love the truck; it runs well and looks to be in good shape. My buddy, who helped me detail her on Friday and knows considerably more about trucks than I do, took a look at the undercarriage and noticed that the leaf springs are flat. I measured the front and back wheel wells to the ground and sure enough they were the same. So I'm guessing the springs are shot and it has lost it's forward rake.
I figure if I'm going to replace the springs, I might as well buy a kit and put a 2-2.5" lift on. Nothing too extreme, but you know, damn a lift looks good. Maybe a .5-1" wheel offset? The tires are good but when they wear at I may go just a little bigger. My buddy has done a lift before so we plan to take a weekend and do it ourselves.
First question: Does this seem like a logical approach?
Second question: I was hoping to keep it around $1200 but it looks like $1500+ is more realistic. There's an Alldogs kit with Bilstein 5100's and their BrOverland Leaf pack for $1300. Does anyone have any thoughts on this direction?
Thanks so much sorry for botherin.

Rob

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Welcome! It's pretty well-documented that the OEM leaf springs are barely adequate for an empty bed. That being said, they aren't shot in the idea that they will mechanically fail, just you lose ride height. Flat leaf springs aren't necessarily a bad thing unless you're bending the overload leaves down.

Many of us installed supplemental suspension products to assist with load-carrying abilities. Keep in mind that any modification that you do does not legally increase the vehicle's payload capacity, and the Frontier has a pathetically low one to begin with.

I myself installed SumoSprings SSR-610-40 after I installed OEM-height HD leaf springs from General Springs KC. In hindsight, I would've liked to try the SumoSprings SSR-610-47 with the OEM springs. I'm sure that would've gotten me similar performance for less money and elbow grease.

Others have installed airbags or Timbrens. Of course if you want to lift your truck then that is also a solution.

·
Premium Member
2,120 Posts
At 80k I'd count the leafpack as retired. As an all-in-one kit where you don't have to think about it, I like ARB's OldManEmu medium duty lift kit. I've been running the OME leafpack for 5 yrs now and it runs great offroad and on, hauling or empty.

I've also heard good things about the Dobson's kit

·
Registered
133 Posts
My 2 cents? Don't waste your time/money on air bags. It will give you some lift, and yah.... I would respring it. The medium duty springs sound like a deal to me! But my hauling with my crew cab consists of 2 people, 1100lb teardrop camper, plus supplies. Once in a while a 2,000lb boat w/mtr & trailer. All on road, or well traveled back roads.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
My 2 cents? Don't waste your time/money on air bags. It will give you some lift, and yah.... I would respring it. The medium duty springs sound like a deal to me! But my hauling with my crew cab consists of 2 people, 1100lb teardrop camper, plus supplies. Once in a while a 2,000lb boat w/mtr & trailer. All on road, or well traveled back roads.

Respringing it, ........... yes. Airbags a waste of money? Not even close.
No steel spring is going to give you any dynamic height adjustment ability, they are fixed to a load rating and design arc to maintain a certain height ............ at only one load point / gross weight. Towed a 4k#+ twin-axle UHaul from Maine to Maryland with 70PSI in the RideRite airbags and the tail was higher than the nose. Show me how you're gonna do that with Timbrens or new leaves. Easy answer. You won't and you can't. Your call, its your dinero, put 'em where it matters most to you.

·
Registered
133 Posts
RyanD, I've got the Firestone Ride....., and I don't like them. My opinion of course!! All I'm saying. I should have replaced the springs. My opinion. Now the springs will cost twice as much, because I tried to make it better. Lol!, I'll have a set of air bags for sale!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the replies guys! Really appreciate it. Love the idea of the airbags, but I just know so little about them. RyanD, I'm from the Eastern Shore--pleasure to have a Marylander on here!
Thanks again,
Rob

·
Premium Member
6,665 Posts
RyanD, I've got the Firestone Ride....., and I don't like them. My opinion of course!! All I'm saying. I should have replaced the springs. My opinion. Now the springs will cost twice as much, because I tried to make it better. Lol!, I'll have a set of air bags for sale!

So in other words, you used airbags for the wrong purpose. Makes sense.

·
Registered
133 Posts
So in other words, you used airbags for the wrong purpose. Makes sense.
No, I used them under the recommendation of adding support for the additional weight of a glass topper,, and when towing a 1700lb boat, motor, and trailer. Part of the frustration was not knowing one of my new Rancho 9000 shocks leaked over the winter. Basically doing nothing. KYBs all around last month fixed that. Now for springs and control arms, should be as good as new.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
No, I used them under the recommendation of adding support for the additional weight of a glass topper,, and when towing a 1700lb boat, motor, and trailer. Part of the frustration was not knowing one of my new Rancho 9000 shocks leaked over the winter. Basically doing nothing. KYBs all around last month fixed that. Now for springs and control arms, should be as good as new.

Having no shocks would make the ride bouncy and might cause irregular tire wear, but it would not affect your load carrying capabilities.

No shocks plus airbags would probably make the ride more bouncy...if the airbags were pumped up to a substantial pressure.

What exactly made you dislike airbags and want to sell them? I personally wanted something set-and-forget, and I didn't want to risk airbag overextension or have to install airbag cradles, so I chose SumoSprings instead of airbags.

·
Premium Member
7,125 Posts
Start w/ appropriately heavier duty leaf springs and proceed from there. The factory leaf springs are weak for hauling/towing applications.

Reactions: ddc411
1 - 13 of 13 Posts