Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys i have a 05 frontier se auto. When i am reversing the rear end of my truck vibrates bad and the rpm's go up but the truck doesnt move for a couple seconds. It will vibrate and then spin tire there is no inbetween. Its like revving a manual and dumping the clutch. Its worse if im towing or on a hill. In drive or 4wd it doesnt do this only reverse. HELP

·
Registered
177 Posts
not sure what rpms you're at when your tire(s) slip but sounds like your trans reverse is giving up. check ur fluid level and quality, for that matter check your radiator fluid too for contamination. (search- possible radiator tranny cooler failure)

·
Registered
154 Posts
Hey man, sorry to hear that you're having trouble. It sounds like your transmission is slipping as it shifts into reverse. If you haven't yet checked your transmission fluid, you may want to start there. The transmission shifts gears by modulating fluid pressure through an arrangement of valves, so fluid level and condition are important.

If the fluid is within specification, you might want to consider taking the truck to a transmission mechanic for a line pressure test.

I wish I could give you definitive assistance by way of the internet...your best bet might be to bite the bullet and take the truck to a dealer for diagnostics. From what I know, the problem could be one of the sensors that feeds information to the TCM (vehicle speed sensor, PNP switch, etc), or it could be a problem with the fluid management assembly in the transmission (pressure switch 6, reverse clutch solenoid valve, etc). I believe the latter will require you to replace this part.

Best of luck. :)

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
My new truck occasionally slipped going into reverse. Turns out the tranny fluid was low. alls good now

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
uh oh

Hey guys. I checked the fluid today and it was half a quart low which bothers me because my truck doesnt leak. I filled it up and tested it and i dont think anything has changed. It slips so bad that on my steep driveway it rolls forward while im giving it the gas to go backwards for a couple seconds. This truck has caused me a lot of problems and its always garaged, very well maintained by me, and i do not pull/tow anything or beat it at all. Sometimes i wonder if i should have got the truck that rhymes with Bacoma. I dont know if im allowed to ask another topic on the wrong thread but im going to anyway. My heat when its very cold goes in and out. It will feel like the AC is on. If i shut it off for 5 min then try again ill have heat for 5 min then it will go out again. Any thoughts? Is it the switch or something more serious?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts