·
Registered
1,180 Posts
How many miles on the truck?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Yes new distributor and cap..disconnected cat to no effect . I will check the injector

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Does the KA24DE suffer from timing chain guide issues like the KA24E in the older D21 trucks have?

Does your truck suffer any weird chatter at startup?

·
Premium Member
2019 Frontier SV 4X4 CC A/T 2.5" lift
78 Posts
I have disconnected the exhaust and it had no effect. It revs up when you first start it one time to 4000 rpms then after only 3000 rpms.
Some exhaust shops will test your cats for free, but anyway, sounds like you may have ruled them out-it was a definite possibility. It's hard to help without being there, but I definitely have been here before with a few different vehicles. You have a good bunch of info, so let's run it down-

If you have checked spark on each plug with with your own eyes, if compression in all cylinders is good, and if you have good fuel pressure, and if O2 and MAF sensors are reading nominally, then you're left with only a couple of possibilities I can think of - fuel to cylinder 2 or a timing issue. I'd focus on cylinder number 2 because you currently read a code for that cylinder. You're getting close. Check plug spark and gap is the easiest and free-est thing to do first.

·
Registered
16 Posts
i would of said Clogged Cat aswell but if u removed it and still runs like that then id try moving your spark plug and wire from cylinder 2 to a different cylinder and see if the code follows the cylinder. Also i would reset the ECU aswell

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Looks like you ruled out clogged cats. It is not logical for an engine running at 2k rpm to lose ignition, timing, and compression at 3k rpm. But it is possible. I would double check the fuel pump for if it cannot deliver enough gas, the engine will be limited. Does your engine have spark advance at higher rpms? This is a device on the cams that utilize oil pressure to advance the spark when the engine revs. This could have broken. Is your engine in limp mode? A scan tool that can access real time data will tell you what is happening at 3k rpm.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Does it max out at 3,000 in neutral, or only when you are under way?
Does the truck start in gear?
There is a 3000 rpm rev limiter for neutral and park and the input comes from, in part, the neutral (PNP) switch.
So if that switch is indicating it's always in neutral, you'll be capped out at 3,000 rpm.
I believe the switch is on the side of the transmission.

The cam sensor is another input. Be sure the connection is good.

·
Registered
Great truck
1,097 Posts
Our jeep had problems from wrong plugs. Maybe your plugs are the wrong ones? Like temp?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
It runs beautifully till 3 grand then just bogs down and trys to die. You let off gas and it runs smooth again. It also does this in gear and under load. It's worse when trying to drive it. It does the same as when a maf is going bad but I've replaced it twice. Idk if it has spark advance or not it's a 2.2 liter 2002 model standard transmission.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
With manual trans the pnp switch is on top right side of trans, furthest to the upper rear.
You want continuity with ground only in neutral.
You could also have an issue with throttle position sensor. Strange there are no codes stored.

·
Registered
625 Posts
FWIW I do not have a 1st but anyway the Cat was good esspecially since you have cyl2 mis as that would wipe out and melty your precats mighty fast. Have you looked at throttle body at all only thing I can think of is your idle air control valve on your throttle body. Just a some crap in that carbon buildup will not let valve move and do exactly what your experiencing good news they can be cleaned I use to clean the 1 on my Camry

·
Registered
2020 Frontier SV Midnight Edition
12 Posts
I've had similar issues before on different vehicles. With that many miles there could be junk in your tank. When you get to 3k it could be the filter plugging up and when you let off the junk goes bank down in the tank. Also check inline filter.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Thank you will do...I installed new filters but I c what u mean it could be sucking larger peices of crap up to filter inlet. And I will clean throttle body again.

·
Registered
6 Posts
IMO the clogged cat/exhaust theory is valid. But how about the intake end? How quickly did this problem set in?

This is a completely different engine/contest but years ago I hopped on my diesel tractor after a snow storm to move the foot+ snowfall from my driveway. I started the tractor and it idled just fine. After a warmup I hopped back on and tried to throttle up only to have the engine completely bog off idle. Long story short: the tractor had sat for a bit and that was enough time for some enterprising squirrels to store a big cache of acorns in the intake ahead of the (fortunately metal encased) air filter.

An exhaust restriction could cause what you're experiencing; so could an intake restriction.

Good luck!
-- Farrell

21 - 40 of 43 Posts