Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My frontier is running poorly. It will not rev above 3000 rpm no matter what. And it begs down unless u accelerate very slowly. I've replaced the maf, fuel pump, filter, spark plugs and o2 sensors ...still no change...any one got a clue?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
My 2002 for cylnder nissan frontier is running like crap. It idles perfect but when you give it the gas it bogs down and will not go above 3000 rpm. I've replaced mass air flow sensor, o2 sensors, spark plugs, wires, fuel sending unit, filter and vacuum lines...anyone got a clue what it could be?????

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
What trouble codes is it showing?

·
Premium Member
2019 Frontier SV 4X4 CC A/T 2.5" lift
79 Posts
well, when you depress the gas, you let more air into the engine, and if it bogs down that means, to me, that you likely have a lean mixture/fuel issue, or a timing issue. It wouldn't be a bad idea to take it to a mechanic to check the timing to rule that out, then maybe move on to checking those almost 2 decade old injectors. Have any misfire codes or other codes appearing?

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
You've covered a lot of maintenance bases with what you have dome so far, so that's great, a shop will appreciate being able to rule those things out early.

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
Timing, injector or valve clearance issue, I'd get it checked out. Have you done a compression check? fuel pressure check? throwing any codes?

·
Registered
329 Posts
What engine do you have and what year is your truck? Is your check engine light on? If yes, do you know what error codes are showing?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well, when you depress the gas, you let more air into the engine, and if it bogs down that means, to me, that you likely have a lean mixture/fuel issue, or a timing issue. It wouldn't be a bad idea to take it to a mechanic to check the timing to rule that out, then maybe move on to checking those almost 2 decade old injectors. Have any misfire codes or other codes appearing?
No codes other than a cyl 2 misfire

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Other than a cyl 2 misfire that's the only code. But it idles smooth as can be

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
Maybe a clogged cat
Yeah could definitely be a clogged cat. And, or the cylinder #2 injector could be not opening all the way with the misfire. If the misfire happened after all that maintenance you did, I'd check and or replace that injector first. Let me know what you find in your investigation of cylinder number two

·
Super Moderator
10,503 Posts
Did you change the cap and rotor as well?

Clint

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
If I were in your shoes, and if the exhaust could be unhooked from the manifold without being an incredibly exhausting chore, I'd unhook the headpipe from the manifold, wire-tie it up, and go for a test drive making all the racket in the world. It would of course throw codes but if it drives more normally then you're looking at an exhuast restriction. If it still drives poorly then I'd agree with ssundet, either you've slipped timing or have a fuel-delivery problem.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have disconnected the exhaust and it had no effect. It revs up when you first start it one time to 4000 rpms then after only 3000 rpms.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts