Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks to all,

2002 SC long bed quad cab 105,000 miles vs. 2005 LE with 50,000 miles…?

I am new to this forum, so please bear with me.

I am in the market for a small truck. I am not a off road guy although in addition to around town errands
I will be towing a small 1,500 lb boat. I know there are many proponents of 4X4 as am I, but my brothers 06 3500 dually 4X4 fits that bill.

After many searches on topics from Timing belt replacements to suspension, superchargers, it seems like I
am having trouble finding a checklist of things to inspect unique to the Frontier. I don't know if it the search engine or if I am searching using the wrong terms.

Other than overall condition, rust, compression, vacuum are there any other suggestions or areas that are unique to superchargers etc, that I should look for?

Obviously the supercharged truck will not get the gas mileage the LE will.
I am little leery of the LE because it looks like (in the pictures anyway) it has been repainted.

Before I travel far and wide it would be nice to know what to ask and later to look at.

Thanks to the prior poster who suggested a way to check for overheating and all others who have any suggestions.

Bob

·
Registered
549 Posts
I'm a huge Nissan fan and I could never own a VG33. 2 family members with VG Xterras had nothing but engine issues. The first gens are tin cans compared to the second gen. They are basically a Nissan Hardbody with new sheet metal. Even with the super charger they are under powered. I wouldn't even bother looking at it.

Early second gens had issues with automatic transmission coolers leaking inside the radiator. The timing chains and tensioners are also an area of concern due to the chain design eating the plastic tensioners parts.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm a huge Nissan fan and I could never own a VG33. 2 family members with VG Xterras had nothing but engine issues. The first gens are tin cans compared to the second gen. They are basically a Nissan Hardbody with new sheet metal. Even with the super charger they are under powered. I wouldn't even bother looking at it.

Early second gens had issues with automatic transmission coolers leaking inside the radiator. The timing chains and tensioners are also an area of concern due to the chain design eating the plastic tensioners parts.
Thank You... !!!

·
Registered
504 Posts
I know nothing about the 2002 so can't help you there. Mine is a 2013 and has been flawless in 68000 miles but of course by 2013 they had 8 model years to work out the bugs. I'd recommend going through the stickies at the top of the general discussion area of this forum. Lots of information there on problems to look for. Don't know how much you want to spend, but I think the general consensus seems to be that by 2010 the various issues had been worked out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts