Nissan Frontier Forum banner

HELP! Neighbors key fob can unlock my truck!

7K views 31 replies 12 participants last post by  butterman2473 
#1 ·
I just witnessed my neighbor lock his (06 ish) Nissan Altima today and my truck beeped. He then unlocked his car and it unlocked my truck! What are the odds of that? I then tried my keyfob and it only worked on my truck. He noticed and explained it's not even his car but now I'm worried. I don't live in the safest area. Is there a way to change the frequency that the truck picks up? Please let me know! Thanks.

03 Nissan Frontier XE

#2 ·
Cars today use rolling codes to prevent thieves from intercepting the code for a particular car and using it to steal the car, but no system is perfect and occasionally what you experienced happens but it shouldn't happen but once or twice before it stops unlocking your truck.

#5 ·
But he can’t start your car, correct?

Clint

#7 ·
Do your key fobs unlock his car?
If not, there is a stray programmed fob programmed into your truck. Go through the fob learn process and wipe the old ones in memory. You need all your fobs before you start.

I also recall that if the fob unlocks the door but the door doesn't open inside of 1 minute the doors auto lock themselves.

#9 ·
Here are the steps to reprogram the fobs. Make sure you do all of them.

1. Close and lock all doors with the driver’s side power lock switch located on the driver's door panel.
2. Insert key into the ignition (DON’T TURN) and remove it from the ignition key cylinder at least 6 times within 10 seconds (this will need to be done at approximately one second intervals). You may need to insert and remove the key up to 10 or 12 times until your hazard lamps flash. PLEASE NOTE: Withdraw the key completely from the ignition cylinder each time. If this procedure is performed too fast or too slow the system will not enter programming mode.
3. Insert key into ignition and turn to the ACC position.
4. Within 5 seconds, push the LOCK button on the keyless remote. Your hazard lamps will flash. PLEASE NOTE: Do not press the button on the remote more than one time or the programming will not be successful.
5. If there are any remaining remotes (including working ones), Unlock then Lock all doors using the switch on the driver's door panel. Within 5 seconds of locking and unlocking doors press the LOCK button on the next remote. Your hazard lamps will flash. Repeat this step for each remote (including any working remotes).
6. When all remotes have been programmed turn the key to the OFF position, remove keys from the ignition, unlock doors using the driver’s side power lock/unlock switch and open the driver side door. Test all remotes.

#20 ·
Update:
Just got off the phone with the Nissan dealer...They said the fob relearn procedure will NOT reset the signal the truck is looking for and they are saying that I need a new key and key fob. They said it's $139.99 for 1 key and 1 fob. I'm guessing the key comes with a specific code? I'm not sure why I would need a new key... I just need the truck signal changed.

#21 ·
If there's a transponder chip in the physical key itself, then that's why the new key would be necessary to program that. I'm guessing that the dealer thinks you want a new key and fob or they're just trying to upcharge you. If I were you, I would try going to a keysmith or locksmith and they might be able to help you for less cost. When I bought my frontier, it only came with one key and one fob so I got some blank Nissan Rogue keys and got them cut and programmed at a locksmith for less than half what the dealer wanted.

It's a very strange coincidence and something similar happened to me with my Z. I was at ZdayZ (annual Z car meet) and another Z was parked next to mine. His key fob would unlock and lock both of our cars, but my fob would only lock/unlock mine. For kicks, we tried his key to see if it would start mine, but no dice. I think it's just one of those strange coincidences where you happen to find two Nissans that are operating off the same frequency codes for the fob.

#22 ·
If the Altima isn't even his car and the car is just there temporarily, I wouldn't even worry about it. You have the kill switch in place already so use that as a solution and theft preventative measure. If you're that worried, just replace the factory system with an aftermarket alarm system and you'll never have to worry about this again. If a key & fob is going to cost you $140, Black Friday is right around the corner and I've seen good car alarm systems go for around $250 installed at Best Buy.

Reactions: Cricket801
#23 ·
The key fobs for our trucks all work on the same frequency. (433mhz if I remember correctly). The only thing that is different is the code that is modulated on the carrier. Likely what has happened is the neighbor has a keyfob with the same code (or something close enough that your BCM is accepting it as valid).

I would start with programming with one remote, check if it allows your neighbor to unlock. Repeat for all your remotes until you find the "offending" one. That is the one you will need to replace. (Would check all of them in case there might be more that one).

I found replacement fobs on Amazon for around $20 (got blue ones to match the truck).

There is no reason to replace the key itself...

#24 · (Edited)
IIRC, you'll need 5 keyfobs to push your neighbors out of the rotation.
Check out this thread.

#27 ·
#32 ·
Absolutely zero experience in not installing my own audio and security systems.
Well, that's not counting one fateful day 20+ years ago when a installer at a "high end" car audio and security company in San Antonio mounted a Alpine AiNet 6 disc changer to the inside top of the glove box in my Acura with hot glue.
Been doing my own installs ever since. For friends and family as well.
FWIW...the hot glue guy was a friend who then passed the rest of the audio install, before I could even give him a hard time, to their #1 guy at a different location who was more than happy to educate me on the install and a few others which took place after hours.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.