Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I need a little help pricing my truck. I had plans for it but I'm going to grad school in August and won't have room for it in DC.

The truck is a 2017 KC S 5speed 2wd. It has right around 44k miles right now. The truck does hold a salvage title ( I bought from a auction in Texas). The truck runs great and has zero mechanical issues and brand new tires with 3k miles on them. When I bought the truck I thought it was going to have a wrap but unfortunately it ended up being paint (the last owner painted it red but didn't do the door jams). So basically the truck needs paint and a little body work in the bed/tail gate.

A nationwide search of clean title 2017 Frontiers with the same specs has them going for between 16-18k at dealerships. I already have a number in mind but just wanted to see what you guys thought it should be priced at.
20210507_151903.jpg
20210507_151741.jpg
Screenshot_20210508-085908_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20210508-085921_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20210508-090014_Gallery.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
2015 Nissan Frontier
4 Posts
check both carvana and vroom. If there is a carmax near you , check them too. You will be surprised how interested they will be.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
check both carvana and vroom. If there is a carmax near you , check them too. You will be surprised how interested they will be.
Normally places like those don't buy salvage title do they? I'll have to check

·
Registered
2015 Nissan Frontier
4 Posts
Normally places like those don't buy salvage title do they? I'll have to check

you may be right. my apologies, I didnt notice, you mentioned that.
go online and pretend that you want to buy that truck, see what others have it listed at.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What was the reason for the salvage title?
It was hit in the rear. Bumper was replacer by body shop but I opted to save the paintwork for California where I was going to drive the truck but never did. You can see the damaged tailgate in the photo

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
It was hit in the rear. Bumper was replacer by body shop but I opted to save the paintwork for California where I was going to drive the truck but never did. You can see the damaged tailgate in the photo
Wait a second. A salvage title is issued if the damage is beyond a certain dollar value. Or if the vehicle has been flooded out as in a hurricane. A 2017 has got to have over $15k in damages to qualify for a salvage title. I don't see this amount of damage.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Insurance companies have funny ways of determining when to salvage out a vehicle. I've bought cars with even less damage than this that were salvaged out. Attached are the photos from the day I picked it up in Texas showing the original damage.
20200507_181341.jpg
20200507_181347.jpg
20200507_181356.jpg
20200507_181405.jpg

·
Registered
2015 Nissan Frontier
4 Posts
Insurance companies have funny ways of determining when to salvage out a vehicle. I've bought cars with even less damage than this that were salvaged out. Attached are the photos from the day I picked it up in Texas showing the original damage. View attachment 331171 View attachment 331172 View attachment 331173 View attachment 331174
I know every state is different. In CT, if a salvaged vehicle is repaired and is now considered safe to drive, the title then changes to a rebuilt title .
Either or I can see what he meant because it doesn't look like that much damage at all.
This is definitely a seller's market so I would get it online as soon as possible.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I know every state is different. In CT, if a salvaged vehicle is repaired and is now considered safe to drive, the title then changes to a rebuilt title .
Either or I can see what he meant because it doesn't look like that much damage at all.
This is definitely a seller's market so I would get it online as soon as possible.
Yeah some states call it rebuilt. In California where I'm from the title says salvage on them even after you fix them and make them legal. Here in ND I think its also called rebuilt. How much do you think I should list it for? I want to make sure I'm not pricing it too high but at the same time don't want to leave money on the table

·
Registered
2015 Nissan Frontier
4 Posts
Yeah some states call it rebuilt. In California where I'm from the title says salvage on them even after you fix them and make them legal. Here in ND I think its also called rebuilt. How much do you think I should list it for? I want to make sure I'm not pricing it too high but at the same time don't want to leave money on the table

I don't blame you. I would want to get the most possible too. I also wouldn't worry about being too high because you can always bring the price down but you can never start low and go up.
If I was you, I would definitely check online with carvana and vroom. Get quotes from them. Then I would check cars.com to see what other frontiers are selling for in your area. That should give you a better idea of your listing price.
Good luck to you.

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
If you go with the KBB prices, you need to discount the price by 20-40% for a salvage title. You have a perception problem as it is difficult to believe the damages shown in the pictures will lead to a salvage title. The truck has been repainted which points to much greater damage. And finally, you purchased the truck with a salvage title; how much did you pay?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If you go with the KBB prices, you need to discount the price by 20-40% for a salvage title. You have a perception problem as it is difficult to believe the damages shown in the pictures will lead to a salvage title. The truck has been repainted which points to much greater damage. And finally, you purchased the truck with a salvage title; how much did you pay?
If you've ever dealt in the auto collision industry you would know how quickly body shop estimates add up (especially at insurance rates). Like I said in the post, the truck was painted by the previous owner.. before it was ever wrecked. The truck was originally white but the company uses red colored trucks so they painted it red ( I thought it was just a wrap but turned out not to be). The repaint has nothing to do with getting rear ended.

This is probably the 15th vehicle I've purchased from a salvage auction so I know was I'm doing but I haven't fixed and sold a car in the last year due to school and with this crazy market I wanted to see what others thought I should sell it for. I dont see how I can have a perception problem if I literally showed you the photos from the day I bought the truck. I paid roughly 8500 all in for it. My plan was to fix the body damage in the bed and tailgate and get it painted white again to match the door jams but I never got around to it and it's just been sitting stored in my garage for the most part.

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
If you've ever dealt in the auto collision industry you would know how quickly body shop estimates add up (especially at insurance rates). Like I said in the post, the truck was painted by the previous owner.. before it was ever wrecked. The truck was originally white but the company uses red colored trucks so they painted it red ( I thought it was just a wrap but turned out not to be). The repaint has nothing to do with getting rear ended.

This is probably the 15th vehicle I've purchased from a salvage auction so I know was I'm doing but I haven't fixed and sold a car in the last year due to school and with this crazy market I wanted to see what others thought I should sell it for. I dont see how I can have a perception problem if I literally showed you the photos from the day I bought the truck. I paid roughly 8500 all in for it. My plan was to fix the body damage in the bed and tailgate and get it painted white again to match the door jams but I never got around to it and it's just been sitting stored in my garage for the most part.
If you showed me the picture of the damaged bumper and tailgate and said the damages caused the truck to be totalled leading to a salvage title, I would not believe your story. It just does not add up. Shoppers looking at your truck will be fixated on the obvious incongruity and not focus on kicking tires. I believe you did pay $8,500 for the truck. Use this as a base and perhaps set the asking price at $10,000 given the change in market conditions.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If you showed me the picture of the damaged bumper and tailgate and said the damages caused the truck to be totalled leading to a salvage title, I would not believe your story. It just does not add up. Shoppers looking at your truck will be fixated on the obvious incongruity and not focus on kicking tires. I believe you did pay $8,500 for the truck. Use this as a base and perhaps set the asking price at $10,000 given the change in market conditions.
I guess if you would not belive all I can say is to Google the vin# 1N6BD0CT2HN756802 and you can see the original photos from the auction on the first link that pops up. In fact you can see the name of the original company in the photos which is how I know they run red delivery trucks and that's why it was painted. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
I guess if you would not belive all I can say is to Google the vin# 1N6BD0CT2HN756802 and you can see the original photos from the auction on the first link that pops up. In fact you can see the name of the original company in the photos which is how I know they run red delivery trucks and that's why it was painted. Thanks.
I suggest you do a CarFax report (cost $1) on the VIN and see a more complete history of the truck. It's been sold several times in its short life. The most likely scenario is that the company who painted the truck red purchased the truck with a salvage title. This would be a more credible story.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I suggest you do a CarFax report (cost $1) on the VIN and see a more complete history of the truck. It's been sold several times in its short life. The most likely scenario is that the company who painted the truck red purchased the truck with a salvage title. This would be a more credible story.
Sir, again I bought the truck directly from the auction which was sold by the insurance company (Infinity insurance). What would make you think that a million dollar nationwide paint supply company with over 65 locations would buy a salvaged truck for their fleet? The truck has in fact not been sold several times in its short life. The company was the original owner and I am the second owner. I'm not looking for credibility and it seems like I'm spending most of my time trying to convince of something because you aren't very knowledgeable about the auto collision and repair business. Thanks for the replies anyways.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts