Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I get my new grill guard, being impatient I am out in my garage starting the install at 9PM tonight I remove the front lower air dam, then get out my impact to remove the factory tow hook. The front comes out easy, but the rear comes about 3/4 of the way out and now spins freely in the frame! It seems to me that the threads inside the frame have broken loose (the frame is hollow.) I tried wedging a screwdriver in one of the frame near the bolt to try and grab the attached threads and free the bolt...no luck. How the heck am I going to get this bolt out, and then how can I recreate the threads so I can attach the grill guard?

ARRRRRRGGGGGGGGG...this was going to be too easy and now this crap.

Suggestions greatly appreciated...help please.

Read this over and my punctuation and grammar is terrible....frustration talking.

·
Registered
602 Posts
ya cut it and try to fish another one in there
a few of the nuts have borken loose on the shrockwork skids for people before if you search that i saw where someone got another nut back in place--

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cutting won't be problem, but then I will have half a bolt baning around inside the frame...I already have one annoying squeak, don't want a banging noise every time I take a corner...what about the threads? how can I replace the threads I am going to lose by cutting the bolt off?

·
Registered
602 Posts

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
check this out http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f10/schrock-skid-busted-nut-48799/

edit:hopefully that will help if not someone else will probably chime in
interesting read.

Not sure if this will help or hurt the thought process, but here's a tale I can tell cause I lived it:

My '05 Nismo had no front tow hook. I wanted one because, dammit they come with one. Found one that someone else didn't want and it came with the bolts.

Could get the front bolt in with no problem. Could get the back bolt in a little way as long as the front wasn't in and the tow hook wasn't on. Seemed like one bolt was just a few hairs short of being the right length. Spent time going to every place I could find in the KC metro area with no luck finding a bolt that was the same thread pitch + bolt grade (hardened) + length. I would find the pitch in a softer bolt, or the grade in the wrong pitch etc.

End result, we drilled that friggin' bolt, and the one that worked, out of the frame, cut a piece of 1/2" steel and shaped it to the hook, welded nuts onto the steel where the originals were drilled from frame. Welded the new 1/2" steel plate with the bolts on it to the frame (the nuts went up into the frame). Used bigger/longer/stronger bolts than stock.

Not sure if this tidbit of info (or wasted time) will assist, but it's what worked for me.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
It is not a bad idea, heck I might just attach the grill guard and tack weld the guard to the frame on place of the second bolt.

one thing though...I have heard that you should not weld directly to the frame because the area around the weld will lose its strength due to defeating the factory heat treating...dunno if this is fact.

I am just pissed that instead of an easy install I have to now come up with a work around.

Thanks for the responses...keep em comming

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
take a big screwdriver and force against the head of the bolt and the frame then with pressure on the bolt. use the impact to get the bolt out. its really easy man. ive done it alot at the body shop with striped ****

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am a little confused...draw a picture for me.

You insert a screwdriver where..holes in the frame or what?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts