Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recenlty got a 2001 Frontier 3.3 V6 SE. I want to install a cold air intake, but I would like some opinions as to what you guys think is the best one out there performance wise. Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I have a K&N CAI and love it! It sounds real mean when you gas on it and it increases HP and fuel efficiency. I think any of the CAIs are good. I like K&N because they've been in the business for over 20 years, are reputable, and have great customer reviews, as well as, being very competitively priced. I think the best bang for the buck.

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
From what I have seen opn the forums they are all pretty much equal in performance.
The Injen is claiming 10 more hp than the Volant that I bought, but they have never produced a dyno test to back up the statement.

Go to www.reverendbiker.com and he has done a dyno test on the Gibson cat back
exhaust. He has also installed the aFe CAI. He did a write up on it some time back and I think that he gave the performance results as well.

OkieScot

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
From what I have seen on the forums they are all pretty much equal in performance.
The Injen is claiming 10 more hp than the Volant that I bought, but they have never produced a dyno test to back up the statement.

Go to www.reverendbiker.com and he has done a dyno test on the Gibson cat back
exhaust and the aFe CAI. He has a nice install write up of the aFe CAI.

I think it is mostly determined by looks and price in making your decision.

OkieScot

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
I have to agree with Okie's assessment! Performance gains will probably be within a HP or 2 of one another, so the best thing to do is go for what you think looks best and fits your budget! The price range on these intakes can really vary, anywhere from about $170.00 to almost $400.00 depending on the brand name you choose!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys! I'm trying to sell my old car right now, so my budget really depends on how much I get for it. I need to do some belt maintenance first and then what ever I have left will go into the intake. I like the look of the open intakes over the sealed up ones. Is there an advantage of one style over the other?

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
The sealed ones probably afford a little more protection from the ellements, but I imagine they all breath about the same. The closed intakes are probably a bit quieter than the open ones, and tend to be more expensive as well. Again, performance wise, they are all so close that it would probably be difficult to tell the difference without putting the truck on a dyno!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
One other factor that I'm wondering about is the cost of the filter replacements for a closed intake vs an open intake, and the frequency of changing the filter. I would think that a open intake would need to be cleaned or changed more often than a closed intake because it is more ceceptable to the elements than a closed intake. If thats true than is it worth it to have a open intake because of more frequent filter changes?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
One more question. How many times can you clean a filter before it has to be replaced and how many miles can you go before a cleaning or replacement for both an open intake and a closed intake? I guess that was two questions. :lol:

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
Most of these aftermarket filters have a lifetime warranty, and under normal conditions only need to be cleaned and re-oiled every 50,000 miles!

·
Registered
141 Posts
I have an odd question. I would like to make my own CAI. I am a welder and have Tig welded Alum. with no problems. What benifits would I get from the CAI? Also was thinking of doing a dually, an intake on both sides of truck going into one.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I would think that 2 intakes would be Overkill (great OLD metal band) and being able to purchase one (Airaid) for $170 at Premier Truck Accesories would be much easier and cheaper in the long haul.

·
Registered
141 Posts
06NissFront6-spSE said:
I would think that 2 intakes would be Overkill (great OLD metal band) and being able to purchase one (Airaid) for $170 at Premier Truck Accesories would be much easier and cheaper in the long haul.
Well for me the fun of building it. As posted I am a welder. Also I should be able to make it for less then half that price.

As for two intakes, I thought it would look cool and sound better. By hey I have no clue.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Um partagas, how about moving out to San Jose, I have tons of ideas that need welding. Bumpers, skid plates, suspension helpers, oh, just a lot of stuff.

·
Registered
141 Posts
outlnder,

Send me an e-mail and lets talk.............

What gains will I get from adding a CAI to my truck?

·
Registered
6 Posts
did anyone decide to go ahead and make an intake? I modified one for my last vehichle (granted it wasnt a truck, and was more ram air than CAI) but it really seems to me that a CAI could be fabed up a lot cheaper and perform just as well.

·
Registered
141 Posts
freeman said:
did anyone decide to go ahead and make an intake? I modified one for my last vehichle (granted it wasnt a truck, and was more ram air than CAI) but it really seems to me that a CAI could be fabed up a lot cheaper and perform just as well.
Do you have any pics of this mod?

·
Registered
6 Posts
partagas said:
freeman said:
Do you have any pics of this mod?
I can't find any...but it was really simple, and by modified I mean I just had to shorten the pipe. I used an Autozone Civic/Integra ram air intake and for my application (03 hyundai elantra - dont knock it, that car was great) I simply had to shorten the new pipe about 3 inches. I just don't believe it should be that tough to fab one up as opposed to spending nearly $200 on one. Plus you would get the satisfaction of doing it yourself :) 8)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts