Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,
As the title says I need to lower my truck. Now I don't own the truck yet, I'm getting ready to pick one up next week but before I do I need to know what parts I will require to accomplish my goal. Reason for lowering, simple, I'm bound to a wheelchair. When I was young and strong I had a new 1991 Pathfinder. Getting in and out was a breeze, not the case anymore. I need to find the LOWEST/SHORTERS springs and shocks possible (and whatever else I'll need, I don't know that's why I'm here) so that my transfers aren't too difficult. I would prefer a straight swap, no modifications required. Please tell me what's needed or point me to a web site, any help is greatly appreciated.
I thank anyone that reads this.::smile::

·
Premium Member
5,595 Posts
Need to know what year you have.

·
Premium Member
5,595 Posts
Two wheel drive?

·
Super Moderator
10,758 Posts
Welcome to the forum and hope you can get all the correct answers here. Do you need four wheel drive? Traditionally a two wheel drive sits a little lower. Since this is so critical to your needs I'd get all the answers you can and hold off on the purchase until you're certain it can be achieved.
Lowering, same as raising affects the drive shafts length, the yokes slide in lowering and out raising, they were cut to fit on an as designed ride height.
Best of luck to you on this and hope you get your needs met.

Clint

·
Registered
364 Posts
Oh Man! Everyone always tells me how insensitive I am. Guess I'm going to get it again.

So..., I'm wondering why you're buying a Pickup truck at all... but more importantly,
why you want to lower the truck rather than raise the wheelchair? I'm pretty sure a lift
kit for a wheelchair would be cheaper than a lowering kit for a pickup.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Traditionally a two wheel drive sits a little lower.
Is this the case with the Frontier? Cause if it is i will definitely reconsider. Everything is still up in air. I would imagine lowering 2WD be easier than 4WD, am I correct? May be even cheaper. If could lower 2WD more than 4WD, I will go with 2WD. I really had my heart set on 4WD, but you can't win them all.

Thanks all.

·
Premium Member
5,595 Posts
I can't think of any way to do this with a straight swap.
Lighter or shorter springs can lower the stance but would require stiffer shocks to keep from bottoming out.
Custom made control arms would be an option.
The rear would even be even more difficult.
Maybe spring under.
Narrowed differential and having it "tubbed.
You might want to look into air ride suspension systems like "Ridetech". You can lower the truck to get in, raise to ride height.
No cheap or easy way.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So..., I'm wondering why you're buying a Pickup truck at all...
Cause there is very little to choose from when it comes to two-door vehicles. What's left is too small or too expensive.

why you want to lower the truck rather than raise the wheelchair? I'm pretty sure a lift
kit for a wheelchair would be cheaper than a lowering kit for a pickup.
That would make me feel more disabled than what I already am, if you can understand that. I don't wanna give up on life just yet.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You might want to look into air ride suspension systems like "Ridetech". You can lower the truck to get in, raise to ride height.
No cheap or easy way.
I actually thought about the airbag suspension setup. I would worry to many things could go wrong. I really don't wanna go that route. Lowering the truck is the safest way IMO.

Thanks

·
Registered
364 Posts
Well... I've never read the handicapped or disabled drivers handbook... does it say that
you're not allowed to drive four door vehicles?

Anyway in finding what you want to find.

·
Premium Member
5,595 Posts
Do they make a regular cab( two door) Frontier?

·
Premium Member
5,595 Posts
Ok,that is what I thought you meant.
How much lower do you need to go?
Four wheel drive for maybe snow or sand would be ok if you lowered the truck.
For off road, four wheel drive in a lowered vehicle really does not make any sense.
Two wheel drive is a better choice.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The lower the better. I was hoping somewhere between 9 to 12 inches. I would get low profile tires to make up the difference. Maybe 2WD is better. I will be talking to the dealership tomorrow and see what they say.

·
Super Moderator
10,758 Posts
Sadly all a dealer wants is your money, you have specific needs that must be met so make sure they are willing to put all specifics in writing and be held if it turns out they really bs'd you.
Me, I'd call a vehicle mobility company and get their take on this.

Clint

Reactions: Blue Devil

·
Premium Member
5,595 Posts
The lower the better. I was hoping somewhere between 9 to 12 inches. I would get low profile tires to make up the difference. Maybe 2WD is better. I will be talking to the dealership tomorrow and see what they say.
You would be on the ground. Ground clearance in the front is not much more than that.
Sorry, but I think you are out of luck.

·
Premium Member
6,432 Posts
4-cyl Frontiers sit 1" lower than V6 KC models.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts