Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope some knowledgable people on here can help. I have searched everywhere for this answer.
Can i put a 2015 or so 4.0 Motor in my 2008 Frontier? My motor had a catastrophic failure and needs to be replaced. The online sources have the motors in different year ranges and vin codes. My vin code is "A". I only find high mileage motors online for that date range. It seems to me that i should be able to put in a low mileage 4.0 motor from a 2014 or 15 truck. Will it fit? Do i need to modify anything? Please HELP. THANKS IN ADVANCE!!

·
Registered
106 Posts
I can't answer your question specifically but I can tell you that hardly anything changed with the 4.0 after your 2008 model year so there's a real good chance of a very easy swap with a newer motor.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Same engine, and frame so mounting shouldn't be any issue.

The only thing I can really think of is you might want the computer/ecm and any other associated electronics with a newer engine as certain things may have been changed. If you have an automatic, you'll probably want to make sure you're getting a motor mated to an automatic so the computer is right and same for a manual etc.

·
Premium Member
9,925 Posts
Just get all the supporting electronics needed to make it run and you should be fine.

Clint

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Maybe smj999 will chime in.. he may be able to answer your question. As Clint said though, I would think if you got all the electronics associated with it.. you’d be good.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Most likely would have to swap whole wire harness and all modules. All newer motors have CAN/BUS networks for module communications with ECU. Would be very costly.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I can't answer your question specifically but I can tell you that hardly anything changed with the 4.0 after your 2008 model year so there's a real good chance of a very easy swap with a newer motor.
@Kelly Mack I really hope so. I have called the stealerships and they dont have an answer. So i thought i would ask the pros on here...figuring Someone must have put a newer motor in an older truck.
Just get all the supporting electronics needed to make it run and you should be fine.

Clint
Yeah sounds right but the sources I have for motors, dont have the supporting electronics. I would like to know if SPECIFICALLY I could buy a 2015 motor and strip it to the short block and put my 2008 intake and coils ...sensors (cam)etc and make it work????

There has got to be someone here that has done this. .

·
Premium Member
9,925 Posts
Go to a dealership and ask a mechanic, don’t call and ask a service writer. They usually aren’t skilled mechanics. How about calling somewhere that is in the auto electronics tuning business and ask like a tuner company?

Clint

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Clint thats a great idea. I actually did that. The mechanic said. "You can only use the engine in the date range of your truck." "They make alot of revisions over the years". I will try a tuner company or a engine installation company. Thank you for taking the time to respond.

·
Premium Member
9,925 Posts
I just had a thought, why not call an engine company? This is a well known national company, they have to know and also have local installers who could assist you.

You can also just google auto engines/ replacements.

Clint

1 - 10 of 10 Posts