Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else have this problem before? We had 30 inches of snow in va and I had to use 4wd and now its stuck. I can't seem to get out of 4wd. I tried switching it in and out of 4wd but it stays in 4wd lo and blinking. I tried slowing reversing switching gears but nothing works. The bed is filled completely filled with snow i was wondering if that was somehow keeping the wheels from unlocking. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
94 Posts
getting out of 4-LO can be a little tricky. Check your owners manual. I don't have mine handy. If in 4-lo you may need to put the truck in neutral step on the brake and turn back to 2WD. See if that works.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I managed to get it unstuck. I read somewhere online that it has to be in neutral. I put it in neutral and it went back to 2wd. All is good. I was worried I'd have to take it into the shop but I guess it was just my mistake.

getting out of 4-LO can be a little tricky. Check your owners manual. I don't have mine handy. If in 4-lo you may need to put the truck in neutral step on the brake and turn back to 2WD. See if that works.
Thanks I tried this and it worked!!! Thanks for the response.

·
Registered
318 Posts
4LO according to the manaul, will only switch while in Park. That being said, many times it won't switch while in park, and won't switch while in neutral. This is due to the gears not being lined up. You need to get the truck to roll SLOWLY in either direction and you'll hear it click (clunk, actually) out. I would recommend against putting it in D for any more than just just enough to bump the truck forward, then flip it back to N and just let the truck roll for a sec and listen for it.

Same thing going in and out of 4HI - it'll sometimes not kick out, just take the tension off the drive train (let off the gas) and pop it in neutral.

Think of it as a solenoid activated manual transfer case. The old manual ones you had to sometimes rock the vehicle a bit to get it to go in.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Haha glad you got it figured out. Mine will not switch it park, i've got to be in neutral and with the brake applied.

I had a hard time getting it out of 4LO once upon a time, I was so stuck I didn't think about holding the break on. I pushed the break and TINK! 4HI.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Just leave it there. More snow on the way Sun.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts