Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 1999 Nissan frontier with the 3.3L, 4x4, non supercharged.

Ok so it's almost like it's going into a fail safe mode. Start it up drives perfectly fine for about 3-5 miles then it's as if you have to put the pedal all the way to the floor for it to go. I'm stumped. I love this truck please help

New wires, plugs, rotor button, dizzy cap, fuel pump, sending unit.

Also around 3200 rpm all dash lights blink like crazy.

Any help much appreciated.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
My daughter has '98 Pathfinder 4x4 with same engine bought 5 years ago; ran OK on straightaways but terrible on uphill grades like freeways. Finally crapped out and I installed a new distributor - fixed it, and fixed the acceleration issues.

Don't know whether it was a timing advance issue, or an electronic issue inside the distributor, didn't care. Two shops could not diagnose the lack of acceleration before that happened.

·
Registered
2017 Pro-4X w/Luxury Package
953 Posts
Have you checked for any codes? AutoZone, etc. will read them for you if you don't have a code reader.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
My daughter has '98 Pathfinder 4x4 with same engine bought 5 years ago; ran OK on straightaways but terrible on uphill grades like freeways. Finally crapped out and I installed a new distributor - fixed it, and fixed the acceleration issues.

Don't know whether it was a timing advance issue, or an electronic issue inside the distributor, didn't care. Two shops could not diagnose the lack of acceleration before that happened.
I have to assume that those two shops did check the timing at idle as it was there for poor acceleration issues, and also read the codes. But since ALL I did was to replace the distributor and set the timing, I just wonder if they even bothered to check the advance? Or maybe the coil in the distributor - which eventually was the cause of the bad distributor - just was semi-intermittent and couldn't keep up under load situations. One of those shops even checked the timing belt and cams to ensure they were aligned.

·
Registered
674 Posts
I have to assume that those two shops did check the timing at idle as it was there for poor acceleration issues, and also read the codes. But since ALL I did was to replace the distributor and set the timing, I just wonder if they even bothered to check the advance? Or maybe the coil in the distributor - which eventually was the cause of the bad distributor - just was semi-intermittent and couldn't keep up under load situations. One of those shops even checked the timing belt and cams to ensure they were aligned.
How do you check the advance?

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
How do you check the advance?
With a timing light, should advance as rpm increase. Total advance at like 3500 rpm should be about 30 BTDC.

Don't overlook checking or replacing the fuel filter underneath on the frame rail, look from the center while underneath, there's a protective cover over it.

Also, try running with fuel cap loose or removed, maybe there's a tank venting issue.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts