Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New here - testing to see if I can post. Tried to reply in another subforum but it wouldn't let me.

·
Super Moderator
12,703 Posts
New here - testing to see if I can post. Tried to reply in another subforum but it wouldn't let me.

Welcome to the club.
Yes, you must first post here and then you are free to post in any area on CF here (spam prevention measure).

What are you driving?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess that makes some sense. I was replying to someone asking a question about something I knew the answer to because I fixed it last week :)

I've got a 2000 Frontier XE 4 cyl 5 speed with 190K miles on it. Still runs like a champ. Considering passing it down to my son and buying something newer with a club cab and 4x4. I've been reading up on the new Frontiers. I'm a bit worried about all the problems people seem to have with transmission failures from the transmission cooler.

·
Super Moderator
12,703 Posts
It is a legitimate worry I suppose.
In all reality though it's a VERY small percentage.
If you think about it, the internet is where people come to report about and find answers to problems.
So you will see a higher occurrence of these "issues" than in the general population.
Make sense?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I understand all of that. It's actually not the number of failures that concerns me as much as Nissan's response. You have people who had the failure of the cooler destroy the transmission that were still under their powertrain warranty where Nissan refused to pay for a new transmission saying the failure was in the radiator that was beyond the 3 / 36K warranty. That's just wrong. With the number of failures they've had across the 4.0L engine platform (Xterra, Pathfinder, and Frontier), they know it is a flaw in those cars. The right thing would be to extend the transmission and radiator warranty out to 100K.

I'll likely end up buying a newer Frontier and making sure I get a mechanic to throughly inspect the transmission and radiator and then bypass the cooler to avoid having potential for the issue. My wife and I have owned 5 Nissans over the years and have had good luck with them overall.

·
Super Moderator
12,703 Posts
You could do that.
Or you could just by a 6 speed MT like I did and not have that worry. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would actually prefer a manual - every car I've ever owned has been a manual. Problem is finding a newer Frontier with a manual - they just aren't any of them around here.

·
Super Moderator
12,703 Posts
I would actually prefer a manual - every car I've ever owned has been a manual. Problem is finding a newer Frontier with a manual - they just aren't any of them around here.
I know what you mean about being rare.
I had to drive 2 hours one way to purchase mine.

Same here on the standard shift, I've never owned an automatic vehicle in my 25+ years of driving.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I know what you mean about being rare.
I had to drive 2 hours one way to purchase mine.

Same here on the standard shift, I've never owned an automatic vehicle in my 25+ years of driving.
Well, I just purchased a newer rig this week and had to drive 6 hours to get it. My wife said I was nuts but took the day to help me go get the car.

Ended up with a 2007 4WD Crew Cab Long Bed. Best part - with a 6 speed manual. Hated to drive that far but it was the closest one I could find and I really wanted a stick shift.

Loving it so far - big upgrade from the 2000 XE 2WD with a 4 banger that I am replacing.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts