Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, my name is Patty Jo and I have a 2000 Nissan front tier SE 3.3 V6. I was told a while back I need to replace the catalytic converter's because they're failing. I went to a local muffler shop yesterday and the guy told me I have four catalytic converters end it was going to cost me $3600 to replace them. :surprise: I walked away. I have a friend who son is a mechanic and he said they can replace them for $1500. Which is great, except I'm afraid he will use crappy parts. I really need advice on what to do and what to look for. Can anyone please help me? This truck is my "baby", it was a gift from my mom, and it has never given me a lick of trouble. Until now. It has over 240,000 miles on it and has always run like a champ. Thanks for any and all advice.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Patty Jo - questions:

Does your state/region require emissions testing?

Is there an issue in how your Frontier is running?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Patty Jo - questions:

Does your state/region require emissions testing?

Is there an issue in how your Frontier is running?
No not where I live currently in Georgia but I am fixing to move to South Dakota. The truck runs pretty good, it just doesn't have the get up and go it used to. A while back it started really running crappy, that's how they discovered the catalytic converters are going out. Plus in preparation of moving so far away, I just thought I would get everything taken care of on it while I have the money. But I don't want to get ripped off. I'm getting very frustrated. I may not know how to do major truck repairs, but I do know when the mechanic is being a jerk. I called Nissan to see about having the timing belt replaced because it's due , and he quoted me $1400 which I knew was insane. I called a very reputable local repair shop and he quoted me $795. Timing belts are pretty standard for the most part, not so with catalytic converters.

·
Registered
40 Posts
No not where I live currently in Georgia but I am fixing to move to South Dakota. The truck runs pretty good, it just doesn't have the get up and go it used to. A while back it started really running crappy, that's how they discovered the catalytic converters are going out. Plus in preparation of moving so far away, I just thought I would get everything taken care of on it while I have the money. But I don't want to get ripped off. I'm getting very frustrated. I may not know how to do major truck repairs, but I do know when the mechanic is being a jerk. I called Nissan to see about having the timing belt replaced because it's due , and he quoted me $1400 which I knew was insane. I called a very reputable local repair shop and he quoted me $795. Timing belts are pretty standard for the most part, not so with catalytic converters.
Well, what he was getting at was if your state doesn't require emissions testing(which I'm not sure if South Dakota does or not), your truck doesn't need cat's to run. You could get a local exhaust shop to hack them out and weld in a couple new tubes for less than a 1000 easy. Truck will probably thank you for it. Just an idea.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts