Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi my name is Golden and I have had my Frontier for about a year now. Its a 2001 s/c. Thus far i have really enjoyed the the truck although it has give me some troubles (knock sensor). As for mods I have a truxedo soft tonneau cover, drop in KN air filter and i just put on a 2.4 pulley. My next upgrade will be new tires (most likely winter tires), so input on a tire choice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
15 Posts
that n old model

man thats a very old model but fast good though
these don't haave good front suspencion though

check the forum 4 tyres u will get it

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
man thats a very old model but fast good though
these don't haave good front suspencion though

check the forum 4 tyres u will get it
It's not that old, and what does it matter. And what makes the front "suspencion" bad?

Welcome to the club!
For tires I personally like BFG All Terrain for snow. But the only tires I can compare it to are my stock long trails and some Goodyear wranglers which were decent but wore out way too fast.
Tires are a personal preference. I would go to tirerack.com and see options, specs, and reviews. Along with this or other websites with tire reviews.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Welcome to the forum dude! Always good to see more canucks on here

·
Registered
175 Posts
Welcome

This may not apply to your engine but it seemed interesting about Nissan "knock sensors" Spec-V Power in a Nissan SE-R | Sport Compact Car Magazine Article at Automotive.com

There are a few characteristics of the QR25 that any Spec-V owner should be aware of. First, the knock sensor appears to be overly sensitive. Knock sensors are simply microphones listening for the distinct sound of detonation. Unfortunately, other normal engine noises sometimes get interpreted as knock, causing the engine to retard timing unnecessarily.

It's this knock sensor activity that led us to comment in an earlier review that the Spec-V was one of the least consistent cars we had ever dyno tested. Simply unplugging the knock sensor will scare the ECU into retarding timing across the board. Instead, we unbolted it from the engine, wrapped it in a towel, and zip-tied it to a power steering hose behind the engine. It's still plugged in, and we had to run a ground wire from the sensor to the engine blcok, but the towel prevents it from hearing anything that might be considered knock. The clean alternative is to unplug it, put a 500,000 Ohm resistor across the terminals, and then run a ground wire from the left pin (looking into the connector with the tab on top) to the engine block. This is now one of the most consistent engines we've ever tested.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts