Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, My name is Mat. I had a 98 Frontier back in the early 2000s, and man that was a good truck, still kick myself for trading it away. So here and now its been a long time since I had a Frontier. I am currently in the market for a 2018-up crew cab. I'm kind of set on a long wheel base as well, as I want that full length truck bed. I am finding that they are not as readily available as the five foot bed trucks. I plan on actually using it as a truck, ie, lumber, mulch, bikes, fishing/hunting etc....Does it make sense to hold out for a long bed/wheelbase, or would the five foot bed do all that just fine? I hate to settle for something, as then ideally a perfect long bed will pop up for sale.

TIA.

·
Registered
92 Posts
For lumber and mulch alone, it's worth holding out for a long bed. If you plan on getting your mulch in bulk, rather than a few bags at a time, most 1/2 yard buckets are way too long to load a 5' bed. I can get away with it in my 6' bed, but they always line up the bucket to go diagonally along the bed.

Honestly, a half ton truck with a standard (6.5') bed is way better suited for that type of work. For lumber items, you should keep in mind that you can't fit a 4x8 sheet of plywood flat in any frontier due to the width between wheel wells. On top of that, a CC long bed is going to have a similar turning radius and gas mileage as most half tons. The turning radius alone would be a deal breaker for me. It basically eliminates the advantage of having a smaller truck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Dan, Yeah I have debated the 1/2 ton as an option. However I have 2 boys and the crew cab would be the way to go, but man are the other brands expensive, unless you buy something older. Here in NYS older vehicles are prone to rust and body rot, so I'm looking for gently used to hold that inevitable fate off as long as possible.

Lumber and plywood would not be anything that I get on the regular...but when I need to get it, I don't want to mess around. Like my old Frontier, yeah they dont lay flat, but they dont stick out a mile either. Same with the mulch, thats usually 1-2 trips a year. Fishing and hunting, well thats more frequent, and hauling the kids and their stuff is all the time. Turning radius is an issue I feel I can live with. I intend to keep my Versa for a while longer and thats my commuter car.

·
Registered
92 Posts
In that case, I can see how the CC long bed will work for you. I also meant to ask if you were outside the rust belt, as the sweet spot for cheap used trucks is any pre-2006 GM or 1st gen Tundras. In NYS, you are worse off than I am here in RI. About 80% of the above trucks around here are rust buckets, with 99.5% of the GM trucks missing their plastic tailgate latch as a bonus.

Speaking from experience, you'll be happy you waited for the long bed. The wait isn't as bad as seeing a long bed show up the day after you settled for a short bed. Just like you said above.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

So my wait paid off....Midnight edition to boot. 2019 with 7,800 miles, found it in NH(from Canada originally) $23K

I now see what everyone says about the turning radius in tighter spots, but aside from that I love it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts