Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We just bought a 2013 Frontier SV crew-cab 4x4 with a 6-speed to tow behind our coach. We spend our summers in northern Nevada and our winters in Mexico. I'm here to learn from you old hands!

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Just a heads up, you can't flat tow a Nissan 4X4. Make sure you at minimum have the front wheels off the ground.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I have two friends who have towed their second generation Frontier 4x4 (with 6 speed stick) all over the country for a few years and no problems. Here is what the manual says for a 2013:

FLAT TOWING

Towing your vehicle with all four wheels on the ground is sometimes called flat towing. This method is sometimes used when towing a vehicle behind a recreational vehicle, such as a motor home.

Manual Transmission (if so equipped)

● Always tow with the manual transmission in Neutral.

● On 4-wheel drive vehicles, place the transfer case in the 2H range. Failure to do so will cause the powertrain to bind up.

● After towing 500 miles (805 km), start and idle the engine with the transmission in Neutral for two minutes. Failure to idle the engine
after every 500 miles (805 km) of towing may cause damage to internal transmission parts.

Automatic Transmission (if so equipped)

To tow a vehicle equipped with an automatic transmission, an appropriate vehicle dolly MUST be placed under the towed vehicle’s drive wheels. Always follow the dolly manufacturer’s recommendations when using their product.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
OK, that was the part I forgot, just make sure to remember that every 500 mile part.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok, htat was the part I forgot, just make sure to remember that every 500 mile part.
I won't drive more than two hundred miles in any one day...so I will start it and run it every morning before I head out on the road. My coach is big...think Greyhound bus big. After having driven heavy trucks for years, I have sworn off long distance daily driving. I'm retired, there is always tomorrow ::wink::!

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
I had gotten confused as I had looked it up for towing my automatic Xterra as the wife and I had thought about getting a coach and seeing the country and wanted to keep the X. The chance to do it passed, but it had stuck in my head.

·
Premium Member
7,856 Posts
Welcome to the Club! And welcome to the NV crew. Nice bus!!

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the welcome! First mods will be all tow vehicle related. We are heading to Mexico (Bahia Asuncion) in mid-October, so I am real busy with getting ready for that (throw in some home remodeling too). Next week the new base plate comes in and I will install that. I'm trying to decide on wireless signal lights or wired. Then Plasti-Dip the front end while I have the front clip off. I'm looking forward to going out in the desert again, we use to tow a Suzuki Samurai and it was great fun and a trail goat, except it road like a buckboard.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Welcome from Reno

Welcome from Reno. This is a GREAT forum. If there is anything you want to know chances are someone here will have the answer.

·
Admin
3,403 Posts
I have two friends who have towed their second generation Frontier 4x4 (with 6 speed stick) all over the country for a few years and no problems. Here is what the manual says for a 2013:

FLAT TOWING

Towing your vehicle with all four wheels on the ground is sometimes called flat towing. This method is sometimes used when towing a vehicle behind a recreational vehicle, such as a motor home.

Manual Transmission (if so equipped)

● Always tow with the manual transmission in Neutral.

● On 4-wheel drive vehicles, place the transfer case in the 2H range. Failure to do so will cause the powertrain to bind up.

● After towing 500 miles (805 km), start and idle the engine with the transmission in Neutral for two minutes.
Nice coach there OP. I don't have a 6sp but I'm just curious, what is the reason they suggest idling in neutral for 2 minutes every 500 miles. What does that do?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Reading between the lines Brian, I believe it is for adequate transmission lubrication. Here is a quote from a 2015 Nissan Versa manual I found: "After towing 500 miles (805 km), start and idle the engine with the transmission in Neutral for two minutes. Failure to idle the engine after every 500 miles (805 km) of towing may cause damage to internal transmission parts."

So I would assume the same holds for the 6-speed in the Frontier.

Thanks for the compliment, that coach is home for 8 months/year!

·
Admin
3,403 Posts
Thanks for the compliment, that coach is home for 8 months/year!
Yeah that's livable :) Looks like it's twice the square footage of my last apartment!

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well added a tonneau cover on Friday and drove to Rancho Cordova, CA and back...360 miles on 16 gallons...22.5 MPG. Air conditioning running all the way over and back (two Scottish Terriers who believe anything over 70 is hot) and crossed Donner Summit twice (5,000' to 7200', then 500' to 7200'), average speed 68MPH (~2000 RPM). I can live with that fuel mileage, but is that about roughly what I should expect?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts