Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, let me type out this in chronological order real quick. This story has more ups than downs, and everything will be ok in the end.

So over the Thanksgiving weekend I had finished saving to purchase Hefty sliders for my CCLB, and got the nod from my wife to move forward.

Awesome, order placed, waiting game begins.

Fast forward to the end of last week....

Quick bit of relevant background information, I cannot carry my cell phone at work for security reasons (like network security and information security)

I received a voicemail from Hefty, I forget the lady's name but she's a real nice person. I don't remember the exact day but basically she called to tell me that they were shipping my sliders out the next day. Then I immediately received another voicemail from her, telling me that the nearest Fedex freight terminal was 2 hours away, there were two to choose from... Dothan or Mobile.

So I called back but they were already closed for the day so I left a voicemail asking for the Dothan terminal. And then we talked and got the shipping details finalized, the sliders were on their way to Dothan ::grin::

Now, simultaneously my area was getting destroyed by storms. I had three ulterior motives going to combine going to Dothan and pick up the sliders. In addition to that, I was coordinating the repair work to my fence that was destroyed, and working with insurance to have my roof inspected. And just an unrelated tidbit to emphasize my stress level... work has been crazy busy and I've been studying for a fairly important test that I had to take (and passed yesterday).

Ok the three things in the works. I was soliciting everyone at work for donations for the tornado victims in south GA, planning a quick visit to my wife's parents (which required admittedly minimal effort, but I was planning around it), and I was coordinating to bring back a co-worker with me that was dropping off a vehicle in a neighboring town and needed a ride home.

Alright... got everything lined up, whew. I planned to leave work a little early Friday to meet my wife and kids at the house when they were home from school, then get on the road to Dothan before Fedex closed. Then after loading up the sliders we were going to grab dinner and drive to my wife's parents. Saturday morning I was going to drop the donations off, then Sunday morning grab my co-worker and head home.

Ok that's the details, and honestly it's going smoothly so far, I'm just setting up the sight picture for how busy we've been.

Now, with all of the upside to that, I am not complaining, and as I started off with, it'll be fine. But specifically here is how the stop at Fedex went...

I get to the terminal, they had trouble finding my pallet but did find it. I brought my vehicle around and the guy brought the pallet out. I begin unpacking it and notice that the sliders are pretty banged up. Then I can't find the hardware, I rummaged through the packaging about 3 times and said heck with it, so I called Hefty. I was surprised when they answered and it didn't go to voicemail (whew). They are getting the hardware out and sent directly to me next week, and well.... I have to touch up the sliders, that's a better overall outcome than refusing shipment (I guess). But I am displeased right now, and of course now I have to touch up the gouges and wait for the box of hardware to arrive.

So without further adieu, and after having heard that wordy story, here's the pictures of the damage. I am going to email these photos to Hefty as well and ask for confirmation when the hardware is shipped out to my house. I am hoping that some of this is from other packaging and not damage to the powder coating. So when I do the prep work before touch up i'm going to hit a few of those areas with a magic eraser and see if the marks come off.

·
Premium Member
1,913 Posts
missing hardware is certainly an issue, but they'll get scratched up alot more than that if you use them. Mine have alot of scratches, a few gouges, and the underskids are all gouged. They're built to be used. just carry a paint pen...

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
That would anger me too. Did the sliders have any bubble wrap or cardboard on them?

When I received my White Knuckle Off Road sliders they were completely wrapped in bubble wrap and cardboard. Then they were tied together with extra padding between them and put in a box with more paper and bubble wrap to keep them from moving. They did not have a mark on them when I got them unwrapped.

Yes, sliders are going to get scratched on rocks but the top surfaces almost never take a hit. For what it is worth, those marks should be very easy to touch up. Rustoleum Semi Gloss Black spray paint matches the finish on my sliders almost perfectly. I'd suggest that you go after the marks on the mounts first, to ensure a good match on the gloss of the finish. The mounts are hidden anyway, so if it does not match well it's not a big deal. Use several light coats to avoid runs and those marks will disappear.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
BCBrian,
Yes they were wrapped, obviously not well enough.

The outer layer was plastic wrap, then there was cardboard under that, then a layer of foam under that.

Good idea on starting with the mounts to confirm paint matching, I will be doing that.

·
Registered
397 Posts
...I don't care if they will get banged up from my choices of use; a company should package something well enough to survive the post!

Reactions: Justwork

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hardware arrived today. I am going to install these tomorrow afternoon. I will report back with pictures.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Yes, sliders are going to get scratched on rocks but the top surfaces almost never take a hit.
You don't use your sliders like I do

·
Premium Member
5,875 Posts
Good Lord, all that typing just to say "your sliders came in with missing hardware and scratches" HAHA

Well at least they're sending you new hardware. But what do you really expect to get out of showing them the scratches? I doubt they'll replace them just for that, since you know - they are rock sliders. Their whole purpose is to get scratched. I do agree though that it does suck to pay extra for a pre-finished part only to get them delivered with imperfections.

You don't use your sliders like I do
Wait - if your sliders are getting hit on the top side, is that still "sliding" then? ::grin::

Reactions: Justwork

·
Registered
741 Posts
Wait - if your sliders are getting hit on the top side, is that still "sliding" then? ::grin::
People seem to enjoy playing bumper cars with me lately.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good Lord, all that typing just to say "your sliders came in with missing hardware and scratches" HAHA

Well at least they're sending you new hardware. But what do you really expect to get out of showing them the scratches? I doubt they'll replace them just for that, since you know - they are rock sliders. Their whole purpose is to get scratched. I do agree though that it does suck to pay extra for a pre-finished part only to get them delivered with imperfections.
Ya haha, it was quite the weekend.

Well so to answer your question, I wasn't expecting anything really. I got Chris on the phone while I was at FedEx and he asked for the pictures because it's good for historical records and to work issues he's been having with FedEx.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sliders are in. The only issue I had was an alignment issue with the passenger side front, but nothing the drill couldn't handle. So, here's the pics...

·
Premium Member
5,875 Posts
Sliders are in. The only issue I had was an alignment issue with the passenger side front, but nothing the drill couldn't handle.
Looks good, nice job!

Question - did you tighten the bolts as you installed them one by one? Or leave them slightly loose until you got all the bolts in position, release the jacks, then see if it would align? I remember when I was installing my White Knuckle sliders, for a short moment it looked like it wasn't lined up right, but after getting the hardware in place they fit perfect. Just a thought.

Oh yeah also thought about this after the last post - after a week or two you won't notice those marks/blems. Kind of like when you get rock chips on the bumper or scrape marks on the mud flaps... at first you're like "what the hell?!?!" but give it a few days and you forget about it haha

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Looks good, nice job!

Question - did you tighten the bolts as you installed them one by one? Or leave them slightly loose until you got all the bolts in position, release the jacks, then see if it would align? I remember when I was installing my White Knuckle sliders, for a short moment it looked like it wasn't lined up right, but after getting the hardware in place they fit perfect. Just a thought.

Oh yeah also thought about this after the last post - after a week or two you won't notice those marks/blems. Kind of like when you get rock chips on the bumper or scrape marks on the mud flaps... at first you're like "what the hell?!?!" but give it a few days and you forget about it haha
For both sides I left the hardware loose until all the bolts were in and then tightened them. On the passenger side where I ended up drilling, I had a lot of play to adjust the skid with the rest of the bolts loose but (just barely) not enough to align that hole. Part of that problem was because the way Hefty sliders install, the aft most bolt goes into a threaded hole in the frame and must be an exact alignment. So that one has to go in first, and then the two up front.

·
Premium Member
402 Posts
I'd have been disappointed if mine came "broken in" already. Yeah sliders are going to get banged up, that doesn't mean when you drop cash on them they should arrive banged up. Everything I've ordered from Shrockworks has come insanely packaged. My last shipment had transmission, transfer case, and the fuel tank skids. All on a pallet wrapped in bubble wrap, layered in cardboard, and all wrapped in plastic. The rear bumper came in a box completely filled with expanding foam, arrived perfect.

Anyway To ship these insured so FedEx would flip the bill for new PC?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts